Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Davy’s got the wind generation numbers wrong

Options
  • 05-02-2014 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

In a recent commentary Davy stockbrokers said said Eirgrid has done an amazing job in keeping the energy grid operating without blackouts due to the huge proportion of Irish energy that is now being generated from wind power*.

In reality, alternative energy suppliers have an accurate wind forecast which spans five days into the future, on which to base their electricity generation plans. If you look at the wind forecasting accuracy, it is about 94 to 96% accurate, day in, day out.

For a chart view look at http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/windgeneration/ and repeatedly click on “previous 24 hours” to see actual –v- forecast wind generation performance.

They go on to say “In December wind achieved a new high (45%) of national demand, from an installed capacity of 2,376MW”. According to my calculations, using data taken from the eirgrid site, wind generated about 676,555 kWh in December, compared with a total system demand of 2,316,455 or 29.21% wind. Not 45%.

This Davy story looks slanted in favour of certain interests or there is something seriously wrong in the information publicly available?

*The Irish Examiner 5.2.2013

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/wind-not-enhancing-stability-of-grid-257673.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Was it not 45% of the demand for a day though? (ie wind reached a peak of supplying 45% of demand on a single day?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Grudaire wrote: »
    Was it not 45% of the demand for a day though? (ie wind reached a peak of supplying 45% of demand on a single day?)

I don't think so, because one day would not be a strategic issue for financial engineering of the total electricity supply system.

Anyway for the avoidance of doubt, my computations are based on the full month of December 2013, measuring output every quarter of an hour.

My calculations: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/boardstemp1/ie_wind_v_total_energy.xlsx

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Did they maybe get confused between energy and electricity? Happens a lot.

Or they meant the max that was achieved at one point in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Yeah I'm pretty sure that this was reported as a peak daily - and the monthly figure is more like ~20%

Month total wind = 24% http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/wind-energy-eases-cost-of-power-255088.html
    Peak wind supply = 40% http://vayu.ie/record-amount-of-electricity-generated-from-wind-energy-in-december-2013/
    Similar figures for Northern Ireland http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25953671

Grudaire wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that this was reported as a peak daily - and the monthly figure is more like ~20%

Month total wind = 24% http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/wind-energy-eases-cost-of-power-255088.html
    Peak wind supply = 40% http://vayu.ie/record-amount-of-electricity-generated-from-wind-energy-in-december-2013/
    Similar figures for Northern Ireland http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25953671

OK - but one day's peak is irrelevant to this argument they are painting. They are suggesting that Ireland "can't have any more new wind capacity" because in Dec it produced 40% of the demand. It didn't. During one hour on 16 December 2013, it produced 40% of the required power. That is a completely different animal. Even if the ESB went on strike for one day and produced / sold no power, it would not be a threat to the engineering of the system - financial or otherwise.

This story is painting a grossly misleading picture in my view, and the fact that it was reproduced in a newspaper doesn't say much for the caliber of journalism in that newspaper.

• Advertisement

Macha wrote: »
    Did they maybe get confused between energy and electricity? Happens a lot.

Or they meant the max that was achieved at one point in December?
    They meant the latter, but said it in imprecise terms which in my view were deliberately used to paint a false picture of the wind / traditional energy generation balance in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Impetus wrote: »
    They meant the latter, but said it in imprecise terms which in my view were deliberately used to paint a false picture of the wind / traditional energy generation balance in Ireland.

I don't know how you can assume they did it deliberately. Working in energy issues myself, the different statistics can get quite tricky. Percentage growth increases, volume increases, peak loads - Twhs, mtoes, etc.

It's a bit of a minefield and hard to simplify down, especially for a public comment like the guy clearly was trying to do in talking to the Indo journalist.

Peaks are quite important as they show how much of a certain renewable technology (or mix) a system can handle. For example at one point, 100% of Italy's electricity was coming from solar. Portugal often has weeks where it has an 80% share of electricity from wind. These are statistics that are very important from a technical perspective.

I'm just talking about the apparent slant in the way the article (as I read it in the newspaper) came across. It seemed worse than being "economical with the truth" to me.

You can't deny that wind is accurately 'forecastable' five days in advance.

You can't deny that taking a shapshot of wind electricity production at the windiest hour of the windiest day of the year is no basis for saying that wind generation is a threat to the financial stability of the generation network.

On CNBC this morning, one expert spoke of new investment projects in traditional energy production systems (gas, oil, coal, nuclear) as being non-viable in the very near future. At best, there is a role for gas plants that can start up production of power quickly.

Solar voltaic has reached a production cost of 6c per kWh in sunny countries. It is like eircom wiring up new apartment blocks and other developments with copper (a more than century old technology) in an internet driven world, for the last 10 years of building boom. Throwing money in the trash can.

Look at eircom now, between that and all the leveraged buyouts and other financial engineering mistakes! This is a replication of eircom in the late 1970s wasting money on electromechanical crossbar telephone exchanges, when progressive countries were installing digital switching and transmission systems. It took ages for them to realise the strategic error of their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In a recent commentary Davy stockbrokers said said Eirgrid has done an amazing job in keeping the energy grid operating without blackouts due to the huge proportion of Irish energy that is now being generated from wind power*.

In reality, alternative energy suppliers have an accurate wind forecast which spans five days into the future, on which to base their electricity generation plans. If you look at the wind forecasting accuracy, it is about 94 to 96% accurate, day in, day out.

For a chart view look at http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/windgeneration/ and repeatedly click on “previous 24 hours” to see actual –v- forecast wind generation performance.

They go on to say “In December wind achieved a new high (45%) of national demand, from an installed capacity of 2,376MW”. According to my calculations, using data taken from the eirgrid site, wind generated about 676,555 kWh in December, compared with a total system demand of 2,316,455 or 29.21% wind. Not 45%.

This Davy story looks slanted in favour of certain interests or there is something seriously wrong in the information publicly available?

*The Irish Examiner 5.2.2013

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/wind-not-enhancing-stability-of-grid-257673.html

Your comparing KW to kWh unless your name is Davy then the title if the thread is wrong

OK - but one day's peak is irrelevant to this argument they are painting. They are suggesting that Ireland "can't have any more new wind capacity" because in Dec it produced 40% of the demand. It didn't. During one hour on 16 December 2013, it produced 40% of the required power. That is a completely different animal. Even if the ESB went on strike for one day and produced / sold no power, it would not be a threat to the engineering of the system - financial or otherwise.

This story is painting a grossly misleading picture in my view, and the fact that it was reproduced in a newspaper doesn't say much for the caliber of journalism in that newspaper.
    The article is correct 40% is the max wind the grid can take.
    There is inherent issues which go with the use of turbines these are notably with frequency and voltage regulation but more so frequency.

Also wind makes up what is called a distributed grid which caused issues with distribution and transmission.
    we use 110kv, 44kv, 38kv and 10kv. When the wind blows in the west you need to get this to the other parts of Ireland however it's quite difficult to get it to some parts and we end up with a weak grid. Which cause a brown out in areas.

There's a lot more to the grid than simply adding turbines

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    The article is correct 40% is the max wind the grid can take.
    There is inherent issues which go with the use of turbines these are notably with frequency and voltage regulation but more so frequency.

Also wind makes up what is called a distributed grid which caused issues with distribution and transmission.
    we use 110kv, 44kv, 38kv and 10kv. When the wind blows in the west you need to get this to the other parts of Ireland however it's quite difficult to get it to some parts and we end up with a weak grid. Which cause a brown out in areas.

There's a lot more to the grid than simply adding turbines

While IRL is nowhere near 40%, I agree. 90% of renewables is about the Irish / global energy grid. If you take a wind energy output chart of Ireland and place it over a wind energy map of Denmark, you get about 97% continuity of supply - ie when it is windy in IRL, it is not so in DK and v-v. And the same thing applies within Ireland, it is often windy in one province and not in another. And ditto in terms of solar between Europe and the Middle East / North Africa. Winter = lots of energy production in the North, Summer = lots of energy production in the South. etc.

Which is why IRL and DE and everyone else will have to devise acceptable pylon and cable systems to make the thing work. There is no alternative in the longer term. Period.

IRL and other countries are wasting so much money on imported fossil fuels - Ireland's energy import bill = an Anglo Irish bailout every five years - ie 5 x €6 billion = 30 €billion.

Who in their right mind wants to head into an eternal future for themselves and their children with this noose around their neck?

While IRL is nowhere near 40%, I agree. 90% of renewables is about the Irish / global energy grid. If you take a wind energy output chart of Ireland and place it over a wind energy map of Denmark, you get about 97% continuity of supply - ie when it is windy in IRL, it is not so in DK and v-v. And the same thing applies within Ireland, it is often windy in one province and not in another. And ditto in terms of solar between Europe and the Middle East / North Africa. Winter = lots of energy production in the North, Summer = lots of energy production in the South. etc.

Which is why IRL and DE and everyone else will have to devise acceptable pylon and cable systems to make the thing work. There is no alternative in the longer term. Period.

IRL and other countries are wasting so much money on imported fossil fuels - Ireland's energy import bill = an Anglo Irish bailout every five years - ie 5 x €6 billion = 30 €billion.

Who in their right mind wants to head into an eternal future for themselves and their children with this noose around their neck?
    Over the past few years wind has not dine anything to reduce energy costs.we still require spinning reserve and are cycling our plants which reduces efficiency and increase co2/kwh it'll be interesting to see what happens when the current REFIT ends.

We don't have oil, coal or gas reserves. What do you propose we use. Wind is not the answer to our main source of energy

Over the past few years wind has not dine anything to reduce energy costs.we still require spinning reserve and are cycling our plants which reduces efficiency and increase co2/kwh it'll be interesting to see what happens when the current REFIT ends.

We don't have oil, coal or gas reserves. What do you propose we use. Wind is not the answer to our main source of energy
    Money invested in wind projects delivers energy over about 25 years. Hydroelectric power is similar but has a longer shelf life. It is the cheapest source of electricity now - even though the capital costs way back when the infrastructure was installed were no doubt extremely high.

You don't need large amounts of spinning reserve when there are adequate wind forces in the forecast - an exercise which can look ahead with about 95% accuracy for five days in advance, as I stated before.

We never had significant oil, coal or gas reserves, yet it is/was used every day to generate electricity. They have to be imported, which leads to my point of the €6 billion outflow from the economy, every year.

There is an installed base of hydrocarbon generation which will suffice for the rest of its useful life in filling gaps. Until such time as sufficient international connectivity is established to export surplus energy, and import when there is a deficit. Anybody investing in new carbon fuelled power stations should only put their money into fast start systems.

Ireland can produce far more wind energy than it needs - onshore and offshore there is probably 30 to 40 GW/h in natural resources. Ireland produces far more beef and dairy products than the country needs, and exports them. Ireland produces no cars, and has to import them all. The same principles should apply to energy in order to have an efficient energy supply. There would be no point in setting up a car plant in Ireland – like they did a hundred years or so ago.

PV is achieving higher efficiencies and lower price per kWh every year, and the time will come in the not too distant future when it will reach grid parity, especially in the southern half of the country. This will complement wind, wave and other renewable sources of energy.

When the DART system was opened in Dublin in 1984, the universal cry was the massive investment and "waste of money" involved (from memory it was under 200 € million). Despite its poor design, I don't think anybody would today say that this initiative was a waste of money.

In addition there is a trend to replace running costs of a product or service with higher capital investment (interest rates are extremely low and it is more sustainable). This is manifest in the use of heat exchangers rather than “carbon consuming central heating”, the heavy use of insulation in buildings, and electric cars which currently cost more to buy, but cost less to run.

We'll agree to differ I don't think wind is the answer, it's not reliable enough. We'll always need a secondary source. Wind gets a lot of traction especially with the SEAI perhaps Mr,Halligan and his commercial interests are the reason for this.

With regards wave energy that gets thrown into a lot of conversations. But as of yet there is no commercial wave converters on the market.

As regards the DART I don't see the relevance of it?

We'll agree to differ I don't think wind is the answer, it's not reliable enough. We'll always need a secondary source. Wind gets a lot of traction especially with the SEAI perhaps Mr,Halligan and his commercial interests are the reason for this.

With regards wave energy that gets thrown into a lot of conversations. But as of yet there is no commercial wave converters on the market.
    Innovation and change takes time to develop, refine and implement. Think quantum computing and looking back the change from monochrome to colour TV. It was expensive and as a result few people had it in their homes in the early days. Now it is well established and perhaps from a point of view of broadcast TV becoming passe.
    As regards the DART I don't see the relevance of it?
    I see it as an example of another large capital investment that was very controversial back in the day, and is now part of everyday life for people travelling in its catchment area.

I generally don't class wind Energy as sustainable energy

"Effectively, the provision of energy such that it meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. ...Sustainable Energy has two key components: renewable energy and energy efficiency."

as it does not constantly meet the needs of the present in that. Pumped hydro or other reliable predictable energy is whats needed. (I i'm talking predictable in that you can see years in to the future)

earlier you talked about having several thousand GWs of wind. which is real delusional stuff. Where would you put the required turbines?

I don't think the definition of whether a technology is sustainable or not depends on how much it is deployed today. By that definition no future efficiency or generation technologies are sustainable.

Macha wrote: »
    I don't think the definition of whether a technology is sustainable or not depends on how much it is deployed today. By that definition no future efficiency or generation technologies are sustainable.

its defintion is meeting the needs of the present without comprimising th ability of the future to meet their needs.

th fact that we need Spinnign reserv ewoudl indicate that wind doesn't meed our needs

Advertisement