Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Frozen Octopus

Options
  • 11-07-2015 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Lidl are selling Greek frozen octopus.

I got some the other week and its sat in the freezer, but got it out today and just thought I'd share the results.

Opening up the packet, I was expecting "Octopus chunks" (if you know what I mean) but no - in the tray was half an octopus.

You need to defrost it before cooking - which I though unusual - and then boil it for 30 minutes.

I chopped it up and boiled it - in hindsight, I'd have cut it up smaller because it hardly shrinks at all (SWMBOs tip :o)

After the 30 mins boil, I made Octopus Bolognaise with Penne. Have to say it was brilliant - so good that I'm probably on a promise tonight ;).

I'll be looking out for it next time I'm in Lidl.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

what kind of octupus

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Which branch of Lidl would this be in pls? Our local fishmonger only has it in occasionally. so would love to stock some in the freezer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Roquentin wrote: »
    what kind of octupus

There are kinds?
    iora_rua wrote: »
    Which branch of Lidl would this be in pls? Our local fishmonger only has it in occasionally. so would love to stock some in the freezer :)

This was Castlebar ;)

There are kinds?

This was Castlebar ;)

youd have different types like the blue ringed octopus in austrailia. not sure what others there are but it should say on the packet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

youd have different types like the blue ringed octopus in austrailia. not sure what others there are but it should say on the packet

OK. I've got the packaging out of the recycing.
    Octopus (Octopus vulgaris) caught by pots and traps in the Central Eastern Atlantic, FAO No. 34, or in the Mediterranean Sea, FAO No.37, Sub areas 37.1 - 37.3.

www.lidl.ie/fish

• Advertisement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_octopus

thats probably the one you have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Blue ringed octopus are not sold for food. They are tiny and incredibly venomous. An adult blue ringed octopus has enough venom to kill 10 adult humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

I wouldn't say it's that one then!!

Minder wrote: »
    Blue ringed octopus are not sold for food. They are tiny and incredibly venomous. An adult blue ringed octopus has enough venom to kill 10 adult humans.

i know. i was only using them as an example of the different types of octupus

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

Are you sure you knew that? Doesn't seem like you knew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

OT remark : Polo stores usually have frozen octopus

Are you sure you knew that? Doesn't seem like you knew!

and now to ride mrs o reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roquentin - Don't post in this thread again.

tHB

Advertisement