Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House sank down about 1 inch at a corner

Options
  • 01-11-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I bought i house about 1 year ago. and we never noticed that house was sank already.
    Have done house survey and he didn't mentioned this at that time.
    Now i am bit concern how to get it fixed, what problem it could cause. not sure if house could sink down further. Does house surveyor has to do some thing with this? do i ask house insurance? so many question i have.
    Could some one advice me what i can do best.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved from Donegal forum to Construction & Planning forum

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭spin777

Consider hitting your surveyors insurance.!! Had it sunk when the survey was done and they didn't notice? How old is the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sunnyashfield

House was build up in 2006 and it already sank before i purchase it last year but surveyor didn't noticed, actually he would have noticed as its very easily noticeable from outside corners.
    At a movement we don't have any problem but a bit concern about it could sink further or how we can get it fixed the current one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Randal76

Have a report carried out by a structural engineer to make sure you have a problem and the report may also suggest a way to resolve the problem.
    Ask your solicitor for advice once you have the report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Was the builder and house registered with Home Bond ?

• Advertisement

sure i will try to get it inspected by an engineer.

Home bond ???? as house is in estate so I believe every thing should be in order.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,993 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Any chance of a photo to show the sinking?

sure i will try to get it inspected by an engineer.

Home bond ???? as house is in estate so I believe every thing should be in order.

Check with your solicitor to see if the Home Bond Cert was transferred to you??

Is builder still in business??? Is the development fully completed??

I understand it is a great concern for you, try not let it take up your head space every day. It is very easy to become all consumed by this issue.

Get a good team around you, solicitor , engineer etc and get the matter sorted asap.

Enjoy life:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭spin777

House was build up in 2006 and it already sank before i purchase it last year but surveyor didn't noticed, actually he would have noticed as its very easily noticeable from outside corners.
    At a movement we don't have any problem but a bit concern about it could sink further or how we can get it fixed the current one?

Homebond, as delthedriver suggested, would be my first port of call as house is built less than 10 years.

What were the credentials of the surveyor who didn't notice the sinking and I'm also a little confused how you can know the sinking was there last year when you only noticed it now?

Also, is your house semi-d, end of terrace, is there room around the house to bring in machinery to correct it?

spin777 wrote: »
    Homebond, as delthedriver suggested, would be my first port of call as house is built less than 10 years.

What were the credentials of the surveyor who didn't notice the sinking and I'm also a little confused how you can know the sinking was there last year when you only noticed it now?

Also, is your house semi-d, end of terrace, is there room around the house to bring in machinery to correct it?

Since house is newly build up , so surveyor assumed that every thing is ok and i guess he just looked from inside.
    I saw a crack & small gap at one corner of house when buying the house but hasn't given much attention as i don't know much about house. Now when i just got checked by a Handyman & he confirmed that house is sank down about 1 inch. not sure how long its been sank. i will attach a pic soon.

• Advertisement

Since house is newly build up , so surveyor assumed that every thing is ok and i guess he just looked from inside.
    I saw a crack & small gap at one corner of house when buying the house but hasn't given much attention as i don't know much about house. Now when i just got checked by a Handyman & he confirmed that house is sank down about 1 inch. not sure how long its been sank. i will attach a pic soon.

May I clarify please regarding the surveyor. Who engaged the Surveyor? What was he instructed to do ? A valuation for the Building Society / Bank or a Structural survey.

Sometimes people confuse the function of a " Surveyor".

May I clarify please regarding the surveyor. Who engaged the Surveyor? What was he instructed to do ? A valuation for the Building Society / Bank or a Structural survey.

Sometimes people confuse the function of a " Surveyor".

I used same bank assigned surveyor and he carried out bank survey as well the structural survey for me and charged additional 150 euro.

I used same bank assigned surveyor and he carried out bank survey as well the structural survey for me and charged additional 150 euro.

Perfect !:)

Advertisement