Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Hop House 13 - what's the deal?

Options
  • 12-02-2015 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Another from the Guinness Brewers' Project. A double-hopped lager.

Has anyone tasted it yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

here's a secret.

Most commercially available beers are double or even triple hopped.

It would be a talking point if it was single hopped.

Whatever it means, does it mean there are 2 hop additions in the boil? two different hops used?

Anyway, it's lager, it's made by Diageo, we know how it will taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's fine. Crisp and clean. Nowt wrong with it but rather dull. 19 IBUs and they've used Galaxy, Topaz and Mosaic so there's a bit of tropical fruit in there, but not a whole lot, that I could taste. The grain bill is pale malt and crystal. It's high-gravity brewed and the yeast is the standard Guinness one, fermented at a low temperature.

"Double-hopped", in this case, means one addition went in for bittering and another in the whirlpool, so rather less hop effort than most beers that brag about their hops, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Whatever it means, does it mean there are 2 hop additions in the boil? two different hops used?

For bitter and whirlpool I have been told hence the double hopped!. Flavour hop additions must be a very new innovation for them to get their heads around :D

Hops used are Galaxy, Mosaic and Topaz (very nice indeed)
    Anyway, it's lager, it's made by Diageo, we know how it will taste.

well pseudo lager as they are using the Guinness ale yeast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It was never going to set the world on fire critically but I had a few pints of it last night stuck it a Diageo only pub, and to be fair it is a nice crisp drink that tastes better than most other mainstream largers. Of the three recent specials from Guiness its probably the one I'd most likely drink again. Wouldn't mind seeing it become a permanent fixture in their range if only for when stuck in a random diageo only pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Due to a serious lack of options, I drank this in a few different places in Tralee on Saturday.

It's OK for what it is. Tastes a bit more complex and more dry than the mainstream lagers IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

I was a party down the country. It was the only beer available other than the ususal suspects. I drank a good few of these. Smart product placement by Guinness. Its a fair bit nicer than the Heineken, Bud or carlsberg.

Not so tasty that the standard Irish person would turn their nose up at it.

This beer might draw them to something a little bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

i the name of it is scary bad luck number 13

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    i the name of it is scary bad luck number 13

4, 5 and 6 are unlucky to the Chinese :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saw an ad on tv last night for it.

Published on Mar 23, 2015
    The team at The Brewers Project, St James’s Gate invite you to try their new lager, Hop House 13. A lager with more hops, more taste and more character.

I had a couple of pints and thought it was OK, as did others I was with. I did not like the fact the glass is one of those etched ones to create bubbles. So if getting it again I would ask for a regular guinness glass.

A lager with
    more hops,
    Than what?
    more taste
    Than what?
    and more character
    Than what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Than what?

Than what?

Than what?

Heiniken and Budweiser probably.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had a few last night. Its fine for what its targetting. Pub in question usually only has the generic Diageo/Heineken products + three Rye River taps so its a change, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

The Jaysus ad...my god.

Funnily enough, the mirror opposite of the infamous Bud ad that went out during the Superbowl.

Plenty of people; inspecting, gawping, savouring etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Had a couple last week, found it to be like a less carbonated Carlsberg tbh. If there was nothing else I might have it again but nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that ad is the biggest load of tripe. I'm assuming they brew up a batch of Harp, half of it goes into Hophouse13 kegs and the rest gets shipped up North... :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

well anyone else who tried this new beer?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah I thought it was horrible and tastes of soap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Uninspiring, unimaginative, boring...ZZzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I had a few pints of it over the weekend when nothing else was available.
    For what it is it is fine. I could pick up a bit of the citrus flavour from the hops in it.

I would happily drink it if stuck in a Diageo only pub with nothing else better on offer.

Do "diageo only" pubs even exist any more?

Even if they do, you'd imagine Smithwicks Pale Ale would be available, is this better than that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do "diageo only" pubs even exist any more?

Even if they do, you'd imagine Smithwicks Pale Ale would be available, is this better than that?

Gig venues often are, may have eight taps but all Diageo.

Diageo + Heineken is more common in pubs though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Smithwicks PA is very bland, not quite as bland as regular Smithwicks (which is the international benchmark for bland) but not far off it.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Smithwicks PA is very bland, not quite as bland as regular Smithwicks (which is the international benchmark for bland) but not far off it.

yes, I know, but given a choice of SPA or HH13 I'd probably go SPA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

loyatemu wrote: »

The new Smithwicks "Blonde" is actually blander than either of them. Smithwicks PA isn't a great Pale Ale, but I still prefer it to the lagers on tap in most pubs.

Going back to the Hop House 13 ad, all the hipsters in it seems to having a great time with the new beer.

It's the new uber-Hipster trend of reverting to macro-everything to appear ironic-ironic. Don't they drink Pabst in America.

It's the new uber-Hipster trend of reverting to macro-everything to appear ironic-ironic. Don't they drink Pabst in America.

Once they go ironic-ironic-ironic, the four horsemen will be released and end of Day's will begin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Post-ironic.
    It's earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

The hipsters are starting to drink pabst here.....

Grrrrrr

The hipsters are starting to drink pabst here.....

Grrrrrr

Behind trend hipsters, what a thought !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

I quite like pbr.a guy I know had his wedding at the pabst brewery in Chicago.

Advertisement