Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing camper into Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Thanks paddyp, If we assume that they had owned the cars for a reasonable length of time (this is why I was looking for someone that had done this themselves so that we could get first hand info.)that appears to show that there's no VRT or import duty charged in the U.K.

Really we're looking for ways to buy, import into here and yet avoid, NOT EVADE, paying VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭porterboy

Hymer 644 traded in in Germany on irish plates.

porterboy wrote: »
    Hymer 644 traded in in Germany on irish plates.

Can you expand on this please as it doesn't tell us much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭porterboy

I have no great point to make just that someone mentioned an Aclass Hymer and that was what I just traded in in Germany to Hymer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks paddyp, If we assume that they had owned the cars for a reasonable length of time (this is why I was looking for someone that had done this themselves so that we could get first hand info.)that appears to show that there's no VRT or import duty charged in the U.K.

Really we're looking for ways to buy, import into here and yet avoid, NOT EVADE, paying VRT.

Have a look at this.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Have a look at this.

That's fine. The person has owned the car for over a certain length of time.
    He took it out of the country and he is bringing it back.

Different scenario from the original question asked, and trying to be answered, in this thread.

porterboy wrote: »
    I have no great point to make just that someone mentioned an Aclass Hymer and that was what I just traded in in Germany to Hymer.

What a shame that you couldn't sell it here. It would have saved someone having to worry about VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What a shame that you couldn't sell it here. It would have saved someone having to worry about VRT.

Someone can buy it and not pay VRT. They just have to get a flight out and drive it back.

If you still don't believe that VRT is only paid once in Ireland contact revenue and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Any vrt previously paid is taken into account as its unlikely that a vehicle has increased in value you wouldn't pay anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I just bought a camper in Northern Ireland. The van was taken as a trade in by the seller in NI last august He intended to keep it but was unable to register it to himself as he was not resident in the state. Before buying it I contacted the vehicle registration people in shannon and told them the situation. They said there would be no problem bringing it back, just send them the VRC and a covering letter and they'd sort it out. Drove it home today. I'll be on here shortly looking for advice on how to sort out a few technical issues with the boiler and control unit:).

Hi snailsong, all the best with your new purchase.

This answers part of the question that we've been talking about. At least from the North as long as the vehicle has not had a country registration change there are no problems bringing it back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LucasArklow

Mr Sunchaser, Rather than speaking in hypothetical terms. Please list where we can find those give away campers?
    Say a 1995 sleeps 4 camper. Then your comments could make sense.
    Looking forward to real information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Mr Sunchaser, Rather than speaking in hypothetical terms. Please list where we can find those give away campers?
    Say a 1995 sleeps 4 camper. Then your comments could make sense.
    Looking forward to real information.

I think you should have a look at when that thread was started. It was two years ago. You are a bit late with your sarky comment.

Advertisement