Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

moodrater wrote: »
    What size are the coals?

Normal size. No big lumps, if thats what you're asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

any good value in coal for people in Dublin lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

has anyone come across colombian coal? i got a flyer in the door the other day for 3 x 40kg bags of colombian coal and 4 bags of firewood for €50 sounds like a good deal but not sure about the quality of the coal or the size of the bags of firewood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

That colombian coal will keep your fire going all night but youll need a fireguard as it'll throw out a lot of crap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭glog

Looking for a cheap(er) source of Arigna Ecobrite (40 Kg) or BnM Black Diamond Premium Stove Fuel (35 Kg) in Munster area.
    Both these fuels are actually the same nugget. Can get the 40Kg for 17.50 or 35Kg for 17.00.

Anything cheaper around?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Old Dublin Road Dundalk there is a guy selling 40kg bags if coal for 12.50 a bag. Red van with a sign outside his house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

The Buy Lo store in the retail park on the Naas Road are selling 40kg bags of Bord Na Mona Coal for €11.99 per bag. (Same retail Park that has Homebase)

I just bought 2 bags. Can't comment on the quality yet, only after putting on a fire.!
    They also had 40kg Black Diamond coal at €16.99, so not sure what the difference in quality is.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wilsixon

Polish coal can be got in Ballina & Castlebar for €11.00 per bag. Co-incedentely its Sean & Seanie Poland that are selling it.:)

Where do I get this, or do they deliver?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

W123-80's wrote: »
    The Buy Lo store in the retail park on the Naas Road are selling 40kg bags of Bord Na Mona Coal for €11.99 per bag. (Same retail Park that has Homebase)

I just bought 2 bags. Can't comment on the quality yet, only after putting on a fire.!
    They also had 40kg Black Diamond coal at €16.99, so not sure what the difference in quality is.
    would be interested to know if the Bord Na Mona coal is any use and is it smokeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

W123-80's wrote: »

Thats great value, we are only 15 minutes from there, will be heading there on monday for few bags, thats a million for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

casio4 wrote: »
    would be interested to know if the Bord Na Mona coal is any use and is it smokeless?

I'll let ya know tomorrow how it burns, fire just taking off now. Looks good so far.
    Don't think it's smokeless, it doesn't say it on the bag anyway. It just says house coal on the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

If it doesn't say smokeless on the bag then it's not smokeless, ah well sounded too good to be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

If it doesn't say smokeless on the bag then it's not smokeless, ah well sounded too good to be true

What's the smokeless fuel thing about? Im Dublin and have a gas fire, could the family offaly family use this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

bfocusd wrote: »
    What's the smokeless fuel thing about? Im Dublin and have a gas fire, could the family offaly family use this??

http://www.greenheat.ie/index.php?contentid=smokeless-zones#sz2

Thanks for that, was only a kid last time we had a fire, they aren't on the zone for smokeless so think I'll pick up a few bags for the grandparents, can you let me know if its any decent, something that burns for really long, don't need them in and out filling the fire constantly. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

bfocusd wrote: »
    Thanks for that, was only a kid last time we had a fire, they aren't on the zone for smokeless so think I'll pick up a few bags for the grandparents, can you let me know if its any decent, something that burns for really long, don't need them in and out filling the fire constantly. Thanks

There's quite a bit of coal about at the moment, listen to peoples recommendations.

I buy 40kg/14euro from a place just outside Trim, it burns really well, is very hot and throws no crap out, so for me thats just perfect

Yea I'll keep an eye out, they used to have an entire shed load to ceiling with turf, but some rule thing I think is stopping it and this summer was too damp for it to dry out?

They have oil as well as a backup if the weather's really bad so they don't have to go out, the snow last year had them pretty much trapped in the house, electricity went and pipes froze and burst, luckily uncle lives close to help them out..

brookedave wrote: »
    Where do I get this, or do they deliver?

In Ballina, they are more or less across the road from the Bus Eireann depot on Paddy Jordan's pub side. In Castlebar they are on the link rd between the Moneen Rd and the Breaffy Rd. There is also a chap in Castlebar, near Heiton Buckley, who is selling a range of coal products from €11.00 up.

The Polish lads in Castlebar have a sign up advertising free delivery. A tonne is €260.00, which works out at €10.40 a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭askU

In Ballina, they are more or less across the road from the Bus Eireann depot on Paddy Jordan's pub side. In Castlebar they are on the link rd between the Moneen Rd and the Breaffy Rd. There is also a chap in Castlebar, near Heiton Buckley, who is selling a range of coal products from €11.00 up.

The Polish lads in Castlebar have a sign up advertising free delivery. A tonne is €260.00, which works out at €10.40 a bag.

I don't think this is the best coal around, is it not?

Is this cheap coal from the Ukraine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

there are no bargins to be had on coal, smokeless or otherwise, in dublin - period.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

who_ru wrote: »
    there are no bargins to be had on coal, smokeless or otherwise, in dublin - period.

Is a 40kg bag of Polish Premium Coal for 14 euro 50 cents not good then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

I doubt that BnM is selling smokey coal in Dublin as Dublin is included in this statement:

"The following are the areas in the Republic of Ireland where the sale and burning of smoky coal is banned"

paddy147 wrote: »
    Is a 40kg bag of Polish Premium Coal for 14 euro 50 cents not good then??
    Where did you get this Paddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Decent site to find your nearest fuel supplier,

http://homefuel.ie/index.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

wait4me wrote: »
    Where did you get this Paddy?

Idont burn coal in my stove (only wood and briquettes)

But I know where to get it cheap,if I ever need it or want to burn it.

Most builders providers in Dublin.:)

Grange,Chadwicks,Heiton Buckelys,Smiths.

askU wrote: »
    I don't think this is the best coal around, is it not?

Is this cheap coal from the Ukraine?

Well if its Sean & Seanie Poland that is selling it, its logical enough to expect that the coal is Polish. Regardless, it burns out very well. SFA residue or ash left in my fireplace in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

scudzilla wrote: »
    There's a place i use, just outside Trim on the Dublin Road, 14Euro for a 40kg bag of Polish Coal. They do have some cheaper stuff at 10.50/40kg but i stick wit the polish stuff
    can u put up a google map location,i only know the coal guy who was in batterstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

€2.99 BnaM bale of briquettes collected at grange hardware ,Dublin

ninty wrote: »
    €2.99 BnaM bale of briquettes collected at grange hardware ,Dublin
    Good price. I'm being quoted €4.49 per bale (€4.00 for bulk purchases) from builder providers in the Lucan area. I will be out near there later in the week and might take advantage of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

I see Dairlygold have a Buy 4 get 1 free offer at the moment.
    Anyone got experience of their coal?

Advertisement