Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

K-9 wrote: »
    He's trolling Dalglish! Carroll, Downing and Henderson on standby.
    Maybe he really dislikes Liverpool now and is trying to get them to pay all the add-ons for England caps by playing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Carrol instead of Sturridge?Nah.

I am not a fan of Carroll...but he is a better choice than Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

If Parker doesn't make it with his injury, Henderson will be going to the Euros. Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

The funny thing is that if Parker doesn't recover in time, that Henderson will actually end up going.

I'm sure he will have fond memories of the time when he was basically destroyed by one of England's opponents, France, in his only cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cant see too many of the other countries having sleepless nights over that England squad.

Micah Richards is miles ahead of Glen Johnson as a right back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

bullvine wrote: »
    Thats an awful squad, England really have some very poor players.

They have some very good players. They just didn't get picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Redzer7 wrote: »
    No Milner? LOL. No Bent either thank fcuk.
    Milner is there.

Sorry i thought Jimmy Iovine had posted the squad sans Milner at 1.06.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

K-9 wrote: »
    He's trolling Dalglish! Carroll, Downing and Henderson on standby.

Downing and Carroll are in the squad not standby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Cant see too many of the other countries having sleepless nights over that England squad.

Micah Richards is miles ahead of Glen Johnson as a right back

richards went completely off the boil after the turn of the year

#NoCarrick trending worldwide on twitter at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No Carrick is criminal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dcully wrote: »
    Downing and Carroll are in the squad not standby.

Meant that, worded it poorly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

bullvine wrote: »
    Thats an awful squad, England really have some very poor players.

I'd swap it for ours no bother

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I am not a fan of Carroll...but he is a better choice than Sturridge.

Does not have near the speed , skill or attitude that Sturridge has , but its the correct decision based on performances over the latter part of the season where Carrol kicked on and Sturridge failed to impress when given a chance.

If he was less greedy and passed the ball more he would be there.

Sorry i thought Jimmy Iovine had posted the squad sans Milner at 1.06.

There were a few mistakes in the one I posted I think.

Slightly OT but Nick Collins is a dope. Dunno how he's the chief football reporter or whatever he is. All he ever seems to do is just list off a load of rumours without any basis at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Actual England squad:
    Goalkeepers - Joe Hart, Robert Green, John Ruddy.
    Defenders - Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, John Terry.
    Midfielders - Gareth Barry, Stewart Downing, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young.
    Strikers - Andy Carroll, Jermian Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck.

Not sure where some of you were looking...

There were a few mistakes in the one I posted I think.

Slightly OT but Nick Collins is a dope. Dunno how he's the chief football reporter or whatever he is. All he ever seems to do is just list off a load of rumours without any basis at all.

Ya cant stand him either,on about Kyle Walker not making it and he injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

No Grant Holt who has scored more PL goals than Welbeck and Carroll this season combined.

Starting XI I think should be Hart Johnson Terry Lescott Cole Walcott Parker Lampard Young Carroll Rooney .

Walcott has to be first winger down, play young on the left to get him on, failing that the Ox would be next on the wing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Don't know why everyone is so surprised about Carrick. By my reckoning he hasn't played for England now in nearly two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

No Rooney for the first 2 leaves Andy Carroll, Jermian Defoe & Danny Welbeck as the available Strikers..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I'd swap it for ours no bother

Obviously but we dont have a population of 60 million and a top league to pick from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

It's a cop out of a squad...pandering to the big names and media.

Honest, quiet pros like Carrick and Crouch left out after excellent seasons because they won't make a fuss about it.

Very disappointed in Hodgson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    No Rooney for the first 2 leaves Andy Carroll, Jermian Defoe & Danny Welbeck as the available Strikers..

Gerrard behind Wellbeck, with Young and Walcott providing width.

Lampos and Barry behind

Does not have near the speed , skill or attitude that Sturridge has , but its the correct decision based on performances over the latter part of the season where Carrol kicked on and Sturridge failed to impress when given a chance.

If he was less greedy and passed the ball more he would be there.

I agree, Sturridge is inferior to Welbeck who is already in the squad, has been terrible for the second half of the season, and loves going for glory when he is playing some low league team in the cup....imagine him at a major tournament.:eek:

Carroll will offer them something different when they are chasing the game, if anything the argument should be why Carroll over Crouch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd stick Young on the right and Chamberlain on the left tbh...

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Don't know why everyone is so surprised about Carrick. By my reckoning he hasn't played for England now in nearly two years.

Except there was a new manager, and people assumed he would be sensible

And Carrick was coming off a season where he was arguably the best English centre midfielder in the league.

I genuinely feel for him, not only with not making a squad he deserved to make - I can only imagine how he feels seeing Jordan Henderson in the standby squad ahead of him.

#HodgsonOut is trending on Twitter. The poor chap can't make a correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Parker is the most overated player in the prem league, Carrick is a far better player than him and I'm not even his biggest fan!

Is Jones gone as cover at right back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

they have a live poll on the sky sports site. it's almost refreshing to see the that a majority of the fans have realistic expectations of this squads potential hopes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

theteal wrote: »
    they have a live poll on the sky sports site. it's almost refreshing to see the that a majority of the fans have realistic expectations of this squads potential hopes

Their are some proper Wind up merchants on that :D
    I'm really pleased with carroll and downing, both have been outstanding this season

Is Jones gone as cover at right back?

Yes and as centre back as well I'd say.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

#hodgsonout is trending :pac:

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Their are some proper Wind up merchants on that :D

they've not printed any of mine :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

now for the squad i'd have picked in my, um, infinite wisdom :D

GK: Hart, Ruddy, Green

D: Johnson, Richards, Jones, Terry, Lescott, Cahill, Cole, Baines

M: Gerrard, Parker, Carrick, Walcott, Young, Milner, Johnson, Barry

F: Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge

this is considering the fact Rio is maybe judged to be incapable of playing lots of games in a row. he'd be in instead of Jones if so.

you can basically play Gerrard instead of Rooney for the first 2 games. do not play him in CM.

Barry
    Parker
    Walcott
    Gerrard
    Young
    Welbeck

then depending on how England are doing, drop Welbeck, Young or Walcott for Gerrard if he has to play, and depending on the form of them all.

you have Carrick who can cover for CM, or come in if form from either first choice is poor.

you have options off the bench, both in pace and trickery, as well as the big brute that is Carroll.

looking at the pool of players, yes, it's not the greatest, but i don't think Roy's done himself huge favours with his picks that weren't in the guaranteed 16 or so.

Ox is the "wild card", but players like he, Holt, Gibbs, Sinclair, Caulker, Britton, all should really have been at least given a cap or 2, or at least been around the camp at some stage in the last couple of friendlies in order to give more freshness to the scene, and given the manager something to think about.

i don't blame Roy for not throwing more than Ox into the deep end with this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

No Joey Barton?! ;)

Except there was a new manager, and people assumed he would be sensible

And Carrick was coming off a season where he was arguably the best English centre midfielder in the league.

I genuinely feel for him, not only with not making a squad he deserved to make - I can only imagine how he feels seeing Jordan Henderson in the standby squad ahead of him.

Did Carrick make sounds about wanting to play in the Euros? I only ask because I've long got the impression that ManU is one of those clubs where players who have reached 'veteran' age aren't exactly encouraged to bust a gut to participate for their respective national teams anymore.

they've not printed any of mine :(

I can see my day being spent trying to get a comment on :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No Lennon? Should be ahead of Downing surely?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Rio confirmed definitely out.
    Surely he should merit inclusion?

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I can see my day being spent trying to get a comment on :D

looking back, perhaps my indignation at heskey's omission was misconstrued as trolling :confused:

No Joey Barton?! ;)

Yeah, last time (only time?) he was with the England squad he spent most of the trip distracting the other players with his views on Schopenhauer and Nietzsche. They couldn't get enough of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

maybe we're all wrong.

maybe Carrick is just shít?

it's baffling how he's not played for England in 2 years.

he's not a world beater, but fúcking hell, he holds a place in CM for the second best team in the League.

it's not like England have Spain or Germany's CM options to keep him out.

looking back, perhaps my indignation at heskey's omission was misconstrued as trolling :confused:

My calls for Barton to be in the squad to add some steely determination to the squad.... Isn't going well.

Yes and as centre back as well I'd say.

Richards can be extra p*ssed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

who is on the standby list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Butland, Henderson, Jagielka, A Johnson, Sturridge

Richards can be extra p*ssed off.

Definitely. Jones is good but I don't like him as a RB. Richards is streets ahead of him there. But then Jones is streets ahead of Richards covering CB if a few got injured there.

Having 9 midfielders is way too much.No need for Downing at all. Richards or another forward should be in ahead of him.

If Parker doesn't recover then Henderson will get there. Carrick must have really annoyed Hodgson to not even make the reserve list ahead of Henderson. It's a terrible team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The squad is simply amusing. There's about six omissions and the same amount of players who should be nowhere near it.

The Not Going XI - Foster, Richards, Gibbs, Ferdinand, Jagielka, Lennon, Scholes, Carrick, Johnson, Holt, Crouch.

Advertisement