Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Documentary on BBC 4 now about Barcelona if anyone is interested. Supposed to be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Documentary on BBC 4 now about Barcelona if anyone is interested. Supposed to be very good.

It's a brilliant documentary, definitely worth a look. It's up on youtube aswell for anybody that wants to see it.

Part 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

An Citeog wrote: »
    It's a brilliant documentary, definitely worth a look. It's up on youtube aswell for anybody that wants to see it.

Part 1

Sound for that - I'll give it a look tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Watching it now facinating stuff about the 2004 season. Laporte seems like a stand up guy apart from his ideas of a European league. He's very passionate about Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Just finished watching. Absolutely brilliant insight into goings on at the club. Laporta seems a sound bloke. Very normal down to earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

patmac wrote: »
    Watching it now facinating stuff about the 2004 season. Laporte seems like a stand up guy apart from his ideas of a European league. He's very passionate about Barca.

Hahahah, if you learn anything about La Liga, it should be that ALL presidents of clubs in the the primera division are sneaky slimey crooks. It's part of the job description really, that documentary is excellent, but there is alot of propagandaesque elements to it. Joan Laporta is far far from an angel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

eZe^ wrote: »
    Hahahah, if you learn anything about La Liga, it should be that ALL presidents of clubs in the the primera division are sneaky slimey crooks. It's part of the job description really, that documentary is excellent, but there is alot of propagandaesque elements to it. Joan Laporta is far far from an angel...

What do you mean I bet your one of the ultras he was trying to get rid of? ;)
    I took it as read that he was a sneaky slimey crook just like all chairman, but at least he had a real passion for the club and it's history and seemed to be doing the right thing unlike Glazer, Gillette, Sheik Abu Dhabi etc.
    Also the sums of money were amazing Davids getting €2 million for 5 months work and the agent looking for €2 million just to renew 2 contracts were staggering.

I thought the €500,000 bonus thats triggered after playing 60% of the games was ridiculous. These guys recieve obscene amounts of money and do not deserve it in the first place and also get this on top of it ! Insane. Rijkaard came acorss as a bit dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Great documentary. Seen it before, but watched it again last night.

Great insight into the club and how they turned it around from a sleeping giant into the force they are today.

I think Rijkaard purposely distanced himself from the film on most occasions. He is very rarely in it, and when he is, it's only for a few minutes and doesn't say much.

I actually remember watching some of those games :D

Check out the key facts and stats ahead of the game at the Stade Gerland.

Lyon conceded six headed goals - more than any other side in the Group Stage.

Nine of the 10 goals Lyon conceded were netted in the first half.

Barcelona fired in more shots than any other side in the Group Stages - 97.

Lyon and Barcelona have played four times in the Champions League and the Catalan side have won three and drawn one, scoring at least two goals in each game.

Lyon have the worst defensive record of the qualifiers, conceding 10 goals, while Barca have the best attack having scored 18 times.

12 of the 18 goals top scorers Barcelona scored in the Group Stage were netted away from home.

Lyon have kept just one clean sheet in their last nine Champions League games at Stade Gerland and conceded 16 goals in that run.

Barcelona have conceded exactly two goals in each of their last three Champions League away trips to France.

Karim Benzema (pictured) has scored eight goals in Lyon's last nine Champions League matches.

Lionel Messi has scored five goals in his last four Champions League matches.

Also in other news the Spanish FA have rejected Barca's appeal to overturn Pique's yellow and Keita's red from last weekend so both will no miss next weekends game against Atletico Madrid.

• Advertisement

I need to stop going on hiatus from this forum....great thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Must say, I thought Barca looked jaded last night. I am worried of the PAthetico game on Sunday, when the gap will most likley be just 4 points given that Real are playing Espanyol Saturday.
    Also in other news the Spanish FA have rejected Barca's appeal to overturn Pique's yellow and Keita's red from last weekend so both will no miss next weekends game against Atletico Madrid

Whatever about Piques yellow (yellows are rarely rescinded), but it astounds me that the red was not rescinded. It was hardly a foul in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Agreed Barca looked out of sorts last night as they have done in their past couple of games. Worringly (wrong spelling i know) this is the worst time of the season to go off the boil - they are no where near the form they were showing before Christmas. The plus side is they have time to regroup and Iniesta should be back in 2 weeks which is a major boost but they have to improve their form as Real are closing the gap in La Liga and tougher teams await in the CL.

Last three games have been Draw, Loss, Draw so hopefully Guardiola gives them a kick up the arse for sunday but with so many missing (Abidal, Pique, Keita, Iniesta, Milito, )for the Atletico game it will be tough no doubt. Seems to be that time of the season for Barca which all teams go through were suspensions and injuries coincide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This weekend is the test of the teams mettle. As I have said already, the gap will most likely be 4 points when Barca kick off on Sunday. Thats a small gap given that it was 12 just 10 days ago.

I think Barca will need to learn how to win ugly. Screw the gret entertainer tag for a few weeks. This is also a huge game for Athletico as their champs league hopes are extinguishing more and more each week. 3 points ehre could eb the filip they need for the rest of the league campaign.

The Blaugrana trainer spoke with Goal.com’s French correspondent at the Stade Gerland following his side’s 1-1 draw with Lyon in the Champions League…
    25 Feb 2009 03:00:20

Barcelona’s sudden wobbly form continued when they could only pinch a 1-1 draw at Lyon in Tuesday night’s first leg, last-16 Champions League clash following a poor first half performance.

The Catalan giants’ coach, Pep Guardiola spoke to Goal.com France at the end of the contest and he admitted his side were outplayed in the opening 45 minutes, although he praised his men for bouncing back in the second period.

“We really did not play well in the first half. Lyon were all over us but in the second half, we found our game,” he explained.

“Even though they dominated us in the first 45 minutes, I was not anxious. I analysed the match and I knew that they could not maintain this rhythm until the end of the game.

“I simply asked my players not to panic, to keep calm and composed and eventually we found the goal,” he elaborated.

The Santpedor-born coach continued to look for the positives to build on ahead of the second leg clash in two weeks’ time.

“Inevitably, you learn much more from difficult games like these compared to the ones where you win easily.

“I really appreciate how my players responded in the second half, especially after coming off the [2-1] defeat to Espanyol last Saturday. We will now depend on ourselves in the second leg at home. We will examine the game further in the next few days and start preparing for the return clash.

“The away goal makes it possible for us to advance to the next round, but the game itself still has to be played. And in 90 minutes, anything can happen,” he stressed.

Finally, Guardiola was asked about Juninho’s wonder strike from a freekick which gave Lyon the lead.

“It was a beautiful goal. No one could have stopped it and Victor Valdes really can’t be blamed for it,” he concluded.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2009/02/25/1126025/guardiola-believes-away-goal-gives-barcelona-the-advantage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

"They could only pinch a 1-1 draw at Lyon"

:rolleyes:

That documentary is very good, particularly learning of the Gaspart regime and the contracts some players had...and the reaction of that Malaga defeat and the Real win

Lyon Plan To Replace Benzema With Bojan - Reports
    The French side have the Barcelona youngster in their sights...
    25 Feb 2009 19:09:53

Lyon are reportedly interested in bringing Bojan Krkic to France as they look set to lose Karim Benzema in the summer.

El Mundo Deportivo reports that the French club want to sign the Spaniard to bolster their striking department for next season.

Their performance in the Champions League against Barcelona was a reminder of their class, and with Bojan not exactly thriving in Catalonia, a move does seem on the cards.

The youngster has found himself benched for much of the season, bar the Copa Del Rey, and with the summer comes a chance that Barcelona will sign more strikers.

Indeed, Benzema is one of those who has been linked to the Catalan giants, and Bojan could well be involved in a deal between the two clubs.

The highly-rated Frenchman is aware that he has reached his peak with Lyon and looks set to move to Spain next summer, with Real Madrid and Barcelona the two main possibilities.

Lyon themselves are renowned for bringing up young talent and improving it, and Bojan could well be a crucial part of the team.

With Fred also leaving in the summer, it is clear that Lyon will need a forward, and Bojan could be the man to fill the void.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/722/la-liga/2009/02/25/1127219/lyon-plan-to-replace-benzema-with-bojan-reports

Victor Valdes: I Have To Evaluate My Future At Barcelona
    Rumours that Barca are looking for a new goalkeeper have left Victor Valdes under pressure...
    26 Feb 2009 14:26:32

Victor Valdes has stated that he is weighing up what to do next as Barcelona remain quiet on a new contract amid reports that the club are looking for a new goalkeeper.

Talks on a new deal have yet to start and in a week that has seen the Catalan custodian under the spotlight once again for the goal he conceded against Olympique Lyonnais, he does not know what will happen.

Barcelona have vowed to offer new deals to all their long-serving players whose current contracts expire at the end of next term, but have yet to speak to Valdes.

"I have evaluate my future," Sport quote him as saying. "I have heard nothing from the club, but they know what has to be done.

"Now I only have a contract until 2010 and I am a professional."

With all the discussion about Juninho Pernambucano's goal and the fact some fans are disgruntled with him, Valdes has stated that he used to being the centre of attention.

"I have felt like I have been under a magnifying glass since I was 20 because Barca's goalkeeper is always under pressure," he continued.

"The whistles do not effect me as I have heard them before. The only thing I care about is the support of the coach and my team-mates."

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/02/26/1128491/victor-valdes-i-have-to-evaluate-my-future-at-barcelona

Victor Valdes Wins The Support Of Barcelona Players And Coaches
    Barcelona's beleaguered goalkeeper Victor Valdes has won the support of Pep Guardiola and the squad after being heavily criticised for conceding a goal against Olympique Lyonnais.
    26 Feb 2009 12:05:34

Victor Valdes has been given unwavering support by his coach and team-mates at Barcelona after he was criticised for not saving Juninho's opening goal for Olympique Lyonnais in midweek.

The Catalan custodian appeared able to prevent the Brazilian's free kick from soaring past him but the Blaugrana players do not agree and have defended him.

Pep Guardiola was the first to support Valdes, who was Barca's hero in the Champions League final of 2006 against Arsenal and has an impressive domestic record this season.

"The goal from Juninho was a tremendous goal," the Blaugrana trainer said. "Not even seven goalkeepers could have stopped it."

Samuel Eto'o added, "Not even Thomas N'Kono, who, for me, is the best goalkeeper ever, could have saved that. Juninho took a superb free kick and he should be praised for that alone."

Toure Yaya and Thierry Henry both agreed that the drive from the left wing was unstoppable and that the critics should stop looking to dent Valdes' confidence.

"Victor is an excellent professional and Juninho is the best free kick taker in the world. at the moment," Toure explained.

Henry added, "Juninho can score against you at any time. You could have put three goalkeepers in the way and it would still have gone in."

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/02/26/1128252/victor-valdes-wins-the-support-of-barcelona-players-and-coaches

I said at the time I didnt think it was his fault and still maintain that stance. I also dont think Juninho meant it neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

redout wrote: »
    missing (Abidal, Pique, Keita, Iniesta, Milito, )for the Atletico game
    With Atletico's main strengths being in attack as well, it's a real concern that Barca are missing so many at the back.

They're still very much favourites for the title though so no need for panic stations yet...

• Advertisement

Found this on YouTube. The no.1 is mine too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

redout wrote: »
    Found this on YouTube. The no.1 is mine too :p

If Ronaldo had spent more than one season at Barça, he'd be well up the list. I'd have Xavi in ahead of Puyol aswell.

László Kubala deserves a mention aswell. 256 goals in 329 games for Barça!

Lahm would be an excellent signing. Best LB in the world in my opinion. Just imagine Ribery on the left and Messi on the right ! Byebye Titi me thinks if so.

Barcelona Linked With Franck Ribery And Philipp Lahm – Report
    Philipp Lahm and Franck Ribery are back on Barcelona's agenda after the Catalan club's technical secretary Txiki Begiristain visited Munich this month, according to a report in Germany.

Barcelona are stepping up their quest to tempt Franck Ribery and Philipp Lahm to join them in the summer as Txiki Begiristain travelled to Munich to lay the foundations, if Sport Bild are to be believed.

The Blaugrana technical secretary was in the Bavarian capital earlier this month to make enquiries about the availability of the highly-rated pair and could follow that up with a bid.

According to the German weekly, Lahm is currently valued at €25 million and has a contract until 2012, while Ribery's price tag is €35m and he has a deal until 2011.

While Begiristain may have been in Munich, Bayern told Sport Bild that Barcelona "have not been in direct contact with us and there have been no formal offers."

El Mundo Deportivo have covered the story and agree that Barça are hoping to reinforce the left flank in the summer and that the pairing of Lahm and Ribéry would be ideal.

One indication that the story may be somewhat flimsy is the fact that the Blaugrana had the chance to sign Lahm when he was set to be a free agent last year and could not agree personal terms.

While the German international full-back may have stated that moving to Camp Nou would have been a dream, he chose to renew with Bayern and Barça ended their interest.

Ribery could be a more realistic proposition as reports that Barcelona will only add one or two new faces in the summer could mean importing a big name with a big fee to keep the squad fresh and fans happy.

Franck Ribery is Barcelona's number one desire and the Catalan club are reported to have reached an agreement with Bayern that sees them installed as favourites to sign him.
    27 Feb 2009 09:52:59

Barcelona have reached an basic agreement with Bayern Munich to sign Franck Ribery in the summer and will return with a concrete bid at the end of the season, according to a report in Sport.

The Blaugrana are keen to bolster their options out wide and believe that the French international is the one player that can fit into their style of play under Pep Guardiola.

Initial contact has been made and a tacit acknowledgement recognised that the two clubs will speak again, with the Catalan club now at the front of the queue to sign the Frenchman.

Ribery has said in recent weeks that he would be surprised if he stayed at the Allianz Arena until the end of his contract, which expires in 2011, as a number of clubs start to make their interest known.

"I know that Barca want me as I have spoken a lot to my agent," he told Sports Bild.

While Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City have also been linked, Barcelona believe that they have taken poll position. President Joan Laporta has even discussed the matter with Bayern chief Franz Beckenbauer.

Mark van Bommel is believed to have told Ribery all about life at Camp Nou and the attraction that he may be joined by Karim Benzema at the club is another plus for the French international.

One cause for concern that the Blaugrana may have is that if Florentino Perez takes control again at Real Madrid, he could employ Zinedine Zidane to woo Ribery to join los Blancos.

But Sport reports that the number of French speakers at Barcelona, including Eric Abidal, Thierry Henry, Samuel Eto'o, Rafael Marquez, Seydou Keita and Toure Yaya, would help Ribery settle.

Bayern refused an offer, believed to be around €40 million, last summer from Chelsea, however, this time they are expected to see what is on offer and Barca are waiting in the wings.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/02/27/1129809/barcelona-reach-basic-agreement-with-bayern-munich-for-franck-rib

Own goal or a winner? Thierry Henry takes aim at Spain's claim on Catalonia

Thierry Henry has followed a well-trodden path of footballers entering into politics
    Graham Keeley, Barcelona
    Away games could be about to become a lot more difficult for one of the world's greatest footballers.

Thierry Henry, the former Arsenal striker who transferred to Barcelona two years ago, has provoked the wrath of millions after telling a newspaper that Catalonia 'is not Spain'.

The French World Cup winner referred to the northeast region of the country as different, a sentiment which will please many of the fiercely proud Catalans who cheer him on in the Nou Camp every week and regard themselves as distinct from the rest of the country. But it has already caused anger among some opponents of Catalan nationalism.

In an interview with the Spanish daily La Vanguardia today, Henry said: “What I think is this: Catalonia is not Spain, it is another thing and you have to feel it. Barça is another story.

“When you arrive here from Arsenal it surprises you to see how the people are, it is a shock. You have to live it to understand it. England is another mentality.”

Henry, 32, who spent eight years with Arsenal, is the latest player to become involved in the controversial subject of regional nationalism in Spain.

The player’s comments received a hostile reaction from some fans in Internet forums.

One said: “Poor footballers who fall for the Mein Kampf Farca…they force them to praise the very old fashioned fascist, racist nationalism of Europe.”

Another said Henry should be aware his own country occupied Rossellon, which is regarded by Catalan nationalists as part of Catalonia. Jordi B said: “Rossellon is part of the Catalan nation”

Henry is not the first Barca player to become embroiled in the often stormy world of regional politics. Oleguer Presas, a former defender who is now with Ajax of Holland, was an outspoken Catalan nationalist who supported moves to allow the region to break away from Spain.

He wrote a well-received treatise in favour of Catalan independence but found himself in trouble with his former club when he reportedly voiced some support for Eta, the Basque separatist organisation.

At one stage, it was rumoured Oleguer was unhappy about playing with the Spain national squad, but later he joined them for training.

In the Basque Country, Athletico Bilbao only has only ever employed Basque players, in a move which has proved highly contentious. In contrast, Real Madrid has for many years been seen as a symbol of Castilian Spain and was the favoured club of the late dictator General Franco.

Nationalists in Catalonia, the Basque Country and Galicia demand greater autonomy from Madrid, despite a series of concessions to the regions which gives them a high degree of self-governance

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article5815172.ece

Espanyol offer reminder of why we still watch – for an upset
    Unlikely hero: De la Pena, the Espanyol midfield player, had not scored for more than four years before his goals in the 2-1 win over Barcelona

Gabriele Marcotti

This is why we watch. James “Buster” Douglas sending Mike Tyson to the canvas. Greece becoming champions of Europe. Joe Gaetjens and the United States getting the better of England at the 1950 World Cup finals. Pak Doo Ik and North Korea doing the same to Italy in 1966. Wrexham, bottom of the Football League, stunning Arsenal, the English champions, in the 1992 FA Cup. A horse, appropriately named Upset, at 100-1 beating Man O’War to the finish line in 1919.

Without upsets - or, more appropriately, the threat of upsets - sport would be like most Hollywood films: you may be entertained, but you know who’s going to get the girl and that James Bond is going to get away.

Those thoughts came to mind when watching the Barcelona derby on Saturday night. The game was at the Nou Camp, in front of the biggest crowd in club football, 98 per cent of them cheering for the home side. Barcelona had lost once in La Liga this season, and that was in August, when Lehman Brothers was still around. Espanyol had not won in the league since November 2, when George W. Bush was still leader of the free world. When they last won at the Nou Camp, Saddam Hussein was a dear friend of the West, ET was in the cinemas and Michael Jackson’s Thriller had yet to be released.

Barcelona had scored 3½ times as many league goals as Espanyol. Samuel Eto’o had struck 23, three more than Espanyol. Josep Guardiola, the Barcelona coach, was hailed as the next big thing. Until a few months ago Mauricio Pochettino, the Espanyol coach, was working in women’s football. Barcelona were top of the league and Espanyol bottom, with a mere 42 points separating them.

But there’s more. Yes, as the cliché goes, anything can happen in a derby. But the Barcelona derby is different. For a start, you have to wonder how a full-blooded Barcelonan can be anything but a Barcelona fan. It’s not just that they’re far better than Espanyol and always have been. It’s that marketing, culture, history and politics have stacked the deck in favour of Barcelona. In a city where Catalan identity is hammered home on every street sign and in every classroom and where kids grow up on stories of how the hallowed Nou Camp was the only place free of Francisco Franco’s dictatorship, you have to wonder just why any Catalan would support a club whose name means “Spanish”.

Many do support Espanyol, but it’s fair to say few would have dared to dream what transpired at the Nou Camp on Saturday. The match was decidedly one-sided - Barcelona outshot Espanyol 20 to two - even after Seydou Keita, the Barcelona midfield player, was controversially sent off late in the first half.

However, Espanyol found themselves two goals up in the wake of an amazing four minutes shortly after half-time. The fact that the scorer of both goals was one Iván de la Peña only added to the surreal nature of events.

De la Peña is a footballing oxymoron, a player who looks as if he has come from the 1930s. He has technique and vision, but is about as quick and dynamic as a sofa. Which is why, despite the hype surrounding him as a youngster - at Barcelona, no less - he never lived up to his potential.

He turns 33 in May, had started 14 games in the past two seasons, and before Saturday, had not scored a league goal in more than four years. And yet it was De la Peña, the second smallest player on the pitch, at 5ft 7in, who headed in Nené’s cross five minutes into the second half and then seized upon a botched clearance by VÍctor Valdés, the goalkeeper, to deliver a sweet chip that flew in under the crossbar. Barcelona pulled a goal back, but the damage was done.

The amazing thing about upsets is that they don’t need to make a difference to have a lasting effect. Barcelona will probably win the league. And Espanyol will likely be relegated.

But the magic of what transpired lives on. It fuels the fire of possibility every time teams step on to the pitch. It serves to remind us that beneath the pay cheques, the hype, the talent and the reputations, it’s still 22 men chasing a ball. Which means anything can happen, even if it probably won’t. And that’s why we continue to watch.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/gabriele_marcotti/article5786272.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

BBC reporting Eto'o wants to stay at Barca - if they reach an agreement, I think it'll be great for all concerned.

For some reason, I can never quite believe how young he is - turns 28 in a couple of weeks :eek:

How Laudrup didn't make that top10 Barca players of all time I don't know. Realistically it should be something like;

1. Cryuff
    2. Romario
    3. Rivaldo
    4. Laudrup
    5. Koeman
    6. Stoichkov
    7. Guardiola
    8. Lucho
    9. Kubala
    10. Ronaldinho

And if I didn't hate that cnut Figo so much he'd be in there too. The likes of Maradona / Ronaldo were left out because the top10 list there all has players that played for Barca for much much longer spells, and thus are more deserving. Let's hope in 10 years time Messi will be up there too.

Also, if we got Lahm for LB (this on is unlikely) and Ribery for LW (this will probably happen) we'd surely have the best wings in world football. If that happens it'd be important to keep Toure and other defensively astute players. And Henry wants to retire here, so he'd be an amazing sub to have to come on and change the game.

I also HOPE we keep Eto'o, because realistically all that we'd be doing is replacing him with Villa, who isn't so much better than Villa that it warrants us spending an extra 10-15 million on him.

Valdes

-Alves
    Puyol
    Marquez
    Lahm--

Toure

Iniesta
    Xavi

----Messi
    Eto'o
    Ribery

Subs - Asenjo, Pique, Caceres, Henrique, Busquets, Hleb, Gudjohnsen, Henry, Bojan.

That team would be F*UCKING amazing.

Yet more Ribery gossip this timefrom his agent apparently.

Barca’s hopes of pulling off a major coup to sign Ribery has received a massive boost after the midfield maestro’s latest confession.
    28 Feb 2009 02:32:55

Bayern Munich playmaker, Franck Ribery has become one of the most sought-after players over the past year with some of Europe’s heavyweights all gunning for his signature.

Mega-rich clubs, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City have all unashamedly declared their interest in the 25-year-old but it appears that their hopes of signing the French international have all but vanished after reports that Barcelona had reached a pre-agreement with Bayern to buy the player at the end of the current season.

And if that wasn’t enough for Barca to thwart off their competition, Ribery’s agent, Alain Migliaccio has revealed that his client will only leave the Allianz Arena for one destination.

“If Ribery does leave Bayern, he will only leave to join a club like Barcelona, where they have all the best players,” he declared in an interview with Catalan radio station, RAC-1.

“It would be a phenomenal opportunity for him to play with Barca,” Migliaccio added.

Despite yesterday’s reports of a basic agreement being reached by the Blaugrana and Die Roten , neither club have yet to officially confirm that a deal has been done

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2009/02/28/1130989/ribery-will-only-leave-bayern-munich-for-barcelona-agent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    With Atletico's main strengths being in attack as well, it's a real concern that Barca are missing so many at the back.

They're still very much favourites for the title though so no need for panic stations yet...

4-3 loss against Athletico, time to panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

eZe^ wrote: »
    How Laudrup didn't make that top10 Barca players of all time I don't know. Realistically it should be something like;

1. Cryuff
    2. Romario
    3. Rivaldo
    4. Laudrup
    5. Koeman
    6. Stoichkov
    7. Guardiola
    8. Lucho
    9. Kubala
    10. Ronaldinho

Imagine a Best of Real vs a Best of Barca, if you will. Even the last 15 years would be most fascinating. For los Blancos we have

Casillas

Ramos----Hierro----Cannavaro
    R.Carlos

Redondo

Seedorf

Figo
    Raul
    Zidane

Ronaldo

It's ridiculous, no places for Laudrup, Zamorano, Suker, Mijatovic, Makalele, Salgado, Beckham, Morientes, Guti, Nistelrooy etc

I'm finding it hard to think of a Barca defence tbh. Nadal and who else? Also, I suppose if Real get Ronaldo and Figo, la Blaugrana shoud get Laudrup.

• Advertisement

Best Barca 11 from the past 15 year? would be;

Zubizarreta

--L.Enrique---Koeman---Nadal---Sergi---

Guardiola

Laudrup
    Stoichkov

Rivaldo----Romario----Ronaldinho-

imo.

Pretty attacking. :pac::pac:

Advertisement