Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year old hitting

Options
  • 27-06-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've noticed a behaviour pattern with my 5 year old is one minute my best friend and next minute he's saying f* off and even hitting me. Not sure where he's getting this from but I think it's something me and my wife need to nip in the bud as it'll probably get worse if left unchecked.

Any advice?

Or is it just the 'old fashioned' bold corner or bold step that's required?

Thanks,

Jos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

jos_kel wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've noticed a behaviour pattern with my 5 year old is one minute my best friend and next minute he's saying f* off and even hitting me. Not sure where he's getting this from but I think it's something me and my wife need to nip in the bud as it'll probably get worse if left unchecked.

Any advice?

Or is it just the 'old fashioned' bold corner or bold step that's required?

Thanks,

Jos

1/4" Wavin pipe is useful one good belt and they never forget. Just leave it in the corner when the child starts to get cheeky. That's how I was reared anyway and I turned out great. Kids today have no fear what so ever. Ask any second level teacher.

Honestly all this naughty step bull only works up to a point.
    Admittedly 1/4" wavin might be extreme but I did use a wooden spoon once on my little one as she didn't take me seriously. Just one little slap enough to leave a sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

1/4" Wavin pipe is useful one good belt and they never forget. Just leave it in the corner when the child starts to get cheeky. That's how I was reared anyway and I turned out great. Kids today have no fear what so ever. Ask any second level teacher.

Honestly all this naughty step bull only works up to a point.
    Admittedly 1/4" wavin might be extreme but I did use a wooden spoon once on my little one as she didn't take me seriously. Just one little slap enough to leave a sting.

Are you for real?

I think its you that needs discipline!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭jos_kel

I was hoping for something a bit more workable guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Make sure if you threaten to punish the child you follow through swiftly. Be it the naughty step or thinking step as it's called these days (keeping PC :))
    It's tough when your a Dad you want to be the fun one but it's not fun if they don't take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Taking away privileges and the bold step work in our house when our 4 year old or 2 year old are playing up. 1 minute per year of age an apology, and the loss of a treat or cartoons and soon enough they get the message. Its important to let them test their boundaries every now and again but bad behaviour can't be tolerated or its to hard to get them back in line again.

Good luck with it, the longest my 2 year old lasted one night was 1.5 hours... he slapped me and pure stubborness kept him there, needless to say i had a pain in my rear going to the stairs every 2 minutes but it works.. now i just have to ask when they start up if they want to go to the bold step.. Serious bad behaviour and they get put to bed.. no matter how inconvenient it nips it in the bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If your 5 year old is already telling you to f*ck off then I too am in favour of a swift slap to the backside every now and again.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Definitely be consistent with punishment (naughty step/take away a toy, etc) and make sure that both yourself and your wife agree on a method and stick to it. It'll be no good if you end up with a good cop/bad cop situation because the child will quickly figure out how to work both of you.

Also have an ear out for where he's picking up the 'f' word. Be super careful not to swear when he's in earshot (it's difficult cos I always find they slip out ESPECIALLY when the kid's within earshot!) and if he's picking it up from another family member, you need to have a word and ask them to watch the language around your son. At 5 years old it's hard to know whether to punish when he says it or to ignore it completely. Odds are on he's doing it to provoke a reaction and whether it's a good or bad reaction, it's the desired result. Then again he needs to know that he can't say that to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I would STRONGLY advoacte for the not hitting/smacking/wooden spoon option here. Monkey see monkey do. Your kid's 5, and as the previous poster said, it's liekly she/he has heard something somewhere so juts be extra careful! He/she also needs to know it's unaccaeptable and it's likely that at 5 the only assocation that word has is that it illicits a response; be it shock/horror/disgust or a stifled smile. Ignore the behaviour you want to see less of. It will stop. Again at 5, the kid is learning the concept of authority and who is right and who is wrong; they'l learn.

Might be worth looking at what is happening when they use the word; when they arent getting attention or in response to something? if they are hitting out in a confused anger, empathise by telling them that its ok to feel x, y and z but it is not ok to use certain words.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

There are a couple of points I’d bring up.

First of all, have you noticed anything that triggers the change from best friend to bad language and hitting ?? if there is something then look at how that can be changed – For example, if you’re playing away and it comes time to clean up tell your son that you’ll have to clean up in 5 minutes because you have to do something else but when that’s done you can play again. If that kicks off a tantrum then tell him that if he doesn’t then he can’t play afterwards. The point here is that there are consequences for bad behaviour – even small ones. I have a 6 year old our main battles are over dinner – she’ll like something one day and next week tell me she doesn’t like it and my reply to this is “that’s fine, you can leave your dinner but there’ll be no treats (3/4 jellies) afterwards” – this usually changes her tune cause she knows I won’t give them to her.

As for the hitting – you need to nip that in the bud immediately IMO !! I think there is nothing worse than seeing a child hit it’s mother or father !! The next time it happens, I’d put him down, tell him that you will not tolerate it and send him to the naughty corner /step telling him he can come back when he’s prepared to apologise. And I would stick to my guns – you really need to be consistent cause children are so clever – they know exactly what they can and can’t get away with.

The same would go for the bad language – tell your son that it’s not allowed and watch your own language too. You can’t really tell a child not to be swearing if you’re at it yourself

I know that there was none of this naughty corner business when most of us were kids and that’s ok – our parents used the tools that they had to discipline us. Times have moved on though and just cause it was ok for us doesn’t necessarily mean it’s best practice these days. I believe having consequences for bad behaviour is important as well as praising (not necessarily rewarding) good behaviour. It can be a daily struggle but I firmly believe that putting in the groundwork with discipline and respect now will pay off in the long run - or at least that’s what I’m hoping !!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I would STRONGLY advoacte for the not hitting/smacking/wooden spoon option here. Monkey see monkey do.

I have to say that this belief really gets on my tits. The OP has never said they have slapped their child and yet their child is already hitting so where do you think they got the idea from? I know of two cases where parents believe that 'hitting teaches hitting' and in both cases the parents were hit regularly by their children.
    First, as another poster says, see if there's a trigger point that's causing the outburst and address that. If nothing is dentifiable then a little slap will swiftly let them know what's what. Of course it doens't have to be a slap, another form of punishment would work as long as it's enforced consistently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement