Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pressure relief valve

• 04-03-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hi guys could anyone tell me if it is ok to fit the prv on either rad flow or return coming from a solid fuel boiler stove but about 8 ft above it ,(,using 4 connections on boiler 2 for gravity and 2 for rads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

No no no, as close to the appliance as possible. For example o. Your gravity feed the first 1" elbow swop it for an 1".1\2".1" tee and connect the prv to the 1/2" branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 maxpower07

esox28 wrote: »
    No no no, as close to the appliance as possible. For example o. Your gravity feed the first 1" elbow swop it for an 1".1\2".1" tee and connect the prv to the 1/2" branch.

My thinking is that if the prv ever blows there is nowhere the water or steam can deposit to with it the stove being in the fireplace, if i tee it off in hotpress and run copper off it drill through the external wall so it can blow outside the house ,thats what i was hoping anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

maxpower07 wrote: »
    My thinking is that if the prv ever blows there is nowhere the water or steam can deposit to with it the stove being in the fireplace, if i tee it off in hotpress and run copper off it drill through the external wall so it can blow outside the house ,thats what i was hoping anyway
    Which is safer ?

Esox28 has explained it to you. As close to the appliance as possible. Reason been Building Regulations, Safety Standards and International Standards for solid fuel.
    Boiler area is the most dangerous pressure zone in a heating system. You HAVE TO fit PRV there. ( SORRY )

Your idea is similar to only having air bags and seat belts in the back of the car !!!
    It all helps but is not the best option.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Which is safer ?

Esox28 has explained it to you. As close to the appliance as possible. Reason been Building Regulations, Safety Standards and International Standards for solid fuel.
    Boiler area is the most dangerous pressure zone in a heating system. You HAVE TO fit PRV there. ( SORRY )

Your idea is similar to only having air bags and seat belts in the back of the car !!!
    It all helps but is not the best option.

Thats no problem prv at the stove it is then , tell me is there much of a benefit to using all four connections rather than 2 and then teeing off for rads

Thats no problem prv at the stove it is then , tell me is there much of a benefit to using all four connections rather than 2 and then teeing off for rads
    Hi Max.
    4 pipe system is better than a 2 pipe injection tee system.
    No offense, but as you asked a dangerous question about the PRV.
    I have to also ask, are you up to safely installing stove to current standards taking into consideration the primary and secondary gravity requirements. + a lot more.

Again no offense intended, us on BOARDS want to help, but safety is paramount.

Sometimes it's safer to call an experienced installer.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

evening scudo2 ,no offense taken, i dont mind constructive criticism. i have tried going down the experienced installer route i have had 4 plumbers come out to look at it and as i want a stove and oil linkup, 3 of them want to just tee into the existing ch lines and put on a couple of nrvs ,not change single coil cylinder and let it at that.My understanding is that you must have a separate near constant vertical flow from stove to a dual coil cylinder with expansion going to the small tank and flow coming off cylinder with cold feed going back to stove , and no nrv, pumps, etc on them lines ,bar a pipe stat ...while on the rad line off the stove the nrv and pump can go on . The reason i asked about the prv is because 1 plumber said he would put it in the hotpress and point it to the ground so it wouldnt spray into face which i thought was daft..Then the 1 good plumber is busy for the next 6 to 8 weeks

evening scudo2 ,no offense taken, i dont mind constructive criticism. i have tried going down the experienced installer route i have had 4 plumbers come out to look at it and as i want a stove and oil linkup, 3 of them want to just tee into the existing ch lines and put on a couple of nrvs ,not change single coil cylinder and let it at that.My understanding is that you must have a separate near constant vertical flow from stove to a dual coil cylinder with expansion going to the small tank and flow coming off cylinder with cold feed going back to stove , and no nrv, pumps, etc on them lines ,bar a pipe stat ...while on the rad line off the stove the nrv and pump can go on . The reason i asked about the prv is because 1 plumber said he would put it in the hotpress and point it to the ground so it wouldnt spray into face which i thought was daft..Then the 1 good plumber is busy for the next 6 to 8 weeks

Dual heating = Dual coil cylinder

Your already know more and are better ( and safer ) than the first 3 "plumbers"!!!!
    Wait for No. 4

I wonder why No 4 is so busy.!!!

Dual heating = Dual coil cylinder

Your already know more and are better ( and safer ) than the first 3 "plumbers"!!!!
    Wait for No. 4

I wonder why No 4 is so busy.!!!
    I no ya ..and No 4 plumber said he is doing at least a couple of replumbing stoves a month due to not being done right the first time ..i know i should wait but im not the kind to sit and wait around so last saturday i changed over the cylinder, i copied over what was on the other cylinder but instead put the oil connections on opposite side so stove lines can come up near side and so far so good the oil is still working away ,,,,

I no ya ..and No 4 plumber said he is doing at least a couple of replumbing stoves a month due to not being done right the first time ..i know i should wait but im not the kind to sit and wait around so last saturday i changed over the cylinder, i copied over what was on the other cylinder but instead put the oil connections on opposite side so stove lines can come up near side and so far so good the oil is still working away ,,,,
    I don't quite know what you ment.
    Did you replace cylinder with a dual coil.

I don't quite know what you ment.
    Did you replace cylinder with a dual coil.

Ya to the dual coil

• Advertisement

Ya to the dual coil

Good. + ask no. 4 to check things just to be sure. All the best,

Advertisement