Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil boiler commissioning ?

• 02-03-2014 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what the actual % of oil boilers are commissioned here.

I've seen the figures on gas, its scary as gas is a legal requirement.

My question is for oil.
    As I'm full time oil servicing I often, sorry, very very often, come across passport forms never filled in.
    Perfect jobs and workmanship done.

I've had the odd boiler that leaked internaly and the manufactures said f off, no passport filled in/returned.

Is there any data base on the No. of boilers sold and not commissioned ?

Do ye also notice this ?
    Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

how many times when you get talking to the customer after or during a service when you mention commissioning do you get the answer jaysus that's the first I heard about that and you find the instructions and comm form rammed in the side of the boiler with a few unused fittings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

jimf wrote: »
    how many times when you get talking to the customer after or during a service when you mention commissioning do you get the answer jaysus that's the first I heard about that and you find the instructions and comm form rammed in the side of the boiler with a few unused fittings

Dito

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I was always of the opinion that the commissioning should come prepaid with the boiler purchase, maybe as a redeemable voucher that the commissioning engineer or plumber can claim back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

DGOBS wrote: »
    I was always of the opinion that the commissioning should come prepaid with the boiler purchase, maybe as a redeemable voucher that the commissioning engineer or plumber can claim back.

That would be great but unfortunetly you will still need the installer to advise the customer of that information and that would presume the installer wished his workmanship to be inspected.
    I was called out to commision one last week by the local RECI man, i presumed it was a holiday home he looked after, i got there to find no PRV, no AAV, no Firevalve, No condence trap, 3/4 Qualpex flow and return. I asked the guy who the installer was, his reply, sher dint i do the plumbing coarse!! :eek:

A big bold sticker on the boiler 'free boiler warranty activation voucher inside' maybe???
    It's just at the minute, I feel for installers it's a bit like seller the customer a car, without warranty cause there's no air in the tyres.
    Maybe all oil installers should have to have some kind of commissioning training? (Oftec light?) I don't know, just sucks a bit for everyone the way it is IMO

I feel your pain Billy……….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

I personally dont think much is going to change till we see news headlines about insurance companies failing to payout for damages caused by boilers/oil tanks that were not commissioned or installed by registered technicians.
    there is still too much of the "sur it will be allright" attitude around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Sad but true in Ireland. I left a few years ago and live in Germany now. Here they are really strict about the safety of any fossil fuel burning device. If you have ANY type of gas/oil/solid fuel boiler/stove/fireplace then by law you must allow the district chimney sweep to inspect the device every year. They post a notice up on your door a few days before they will be calling around and you must ensure they have access or face a fine. They check that the device is not emitting any dangerous levels of CO etc. There's no avoiding it-every property is on their list and will be inspected. If you get say a new gas boiler (internal, external, doesn't matter) then not only does the equivalent of an RGI to install and commission it but you also have to get the district chimney sweep to sign off on the commissioning after he tests it for safety. Just a different attitude I suppose. We currently live in an apartment block, so appreciate the stringent nature of the regs as playing around with gas could have deadly consequences not only for the occupant but for their neighbours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

murphaph wrote: »
    Sad but true in Ireland. I left a few years ago and live in Germany now. Here they are really strict about the safety of any fossil fuel burning device. If you have ANY type of gas/oil/solid fuel boiler/stove/fireplace then by law you must allow the district chimney sweep to inspect the device every year. They post a notice up on your door a few days before they will be calling around and you must ensure they have access or face a fine. They check that the device is not emitting any dangerous levels of CO etc. There's no avoiding it-every property is on their list and will be inspected. If you get say a new gas boiler (internal, external, doesn't matter) then not only does the equivalent of an RGI to install and commission it but you also have to get the district chimney sweep to sign off on the commissioning after he tests it for safety. Just a different attitude I suppose. We currently live in an apartment block, so appreciate the stringent nature of the regs as playing around with gas could have deadly consequences not only for the occupant but for their neighbours!
    I think that sounds like a great idea.I think we should do it exactly like the germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

crock! wrote: »
    I think that sounds like a great idea.I think we should do it exactly like the germans.

We probably will in about 50 years

That's why on most German boiler the service mode (or CO mode) is called the SWEEP FUNCTION, and usually had a picture of a guy inn a top hat with a ladder (the chimney sweep)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

That's why on most German boiler the service mode (or CO mode) is called the SWEEP FUNCTION, and usually had a picture of a guy inn a top hat with a ladder (the chimney sweep)

Like on the wb's , I was only commissioning one the other day and was wondering what relevance that symbol had to a gas boiler? Now I know , wahey!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Another mystery solved.

I always wondered why on (GEMINOX, a French oil or gas boiler) owned by Bosch, had that funny picture on the 1 hour override electronic programmer, rather than a man with a tool box.
    Ta.

Advertisement