Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary level subjects for pme -Law and Gaeilge

Options
  • 20-12-2014 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I completed a degree in Law and Nua-Ghaeilge and after pursuing a career in law I realised my passion. lies in teaching.

I checked the teaching council lost of accreditited degrees and although my specific ccourse isn't listed my Irish compomnent is recognised on the arts courts.

In regards to law, I had hope it would be recognised under cspe but it doesn't seem to be under other dual law degrees. Whereas cspe is recognised for sociology or politics subjects.

I'm wondering is there any way to get around this. Can I do modules in cspe during the new pme or cou I even go to the UK to teach law and Irish as I've heard some schools do offer Irish as a subject?

Any other ideas would be most welcome as I'm deseparate to start teaching

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - Moved from CVPL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Irish you might get somewhere with here, but Law is not a subject in Irish schools and CSPE is taught by all and sundry.
    I don't know the situation in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Not trying to be unhelpful or unkind but I would do your best to suppress this passion .

Not necessarily expecting an answer but as food for thought :

Are you independent of financial concerns and likely to be so for many years to come ?

Do you wish to study for years to come (and have funds to do this ?)

Do you enjoy being abused by (a small number of / some/many) children and their parents ?

Do you wish to emigrate ?

Are you a doormat? (Happy to put up and shut up with whatever is dished up for you from principal to minister?)

Will you enjoy working in pitifully under resourced circumstances ?

Surely Law has the capacity / potential to be as (spiritually)rewarding as Education under the right circumstances ?Hard to imagine it being LESS financially so for a new graduate .

Are there many burnt out solicitors?There were historically always 5-15% of teachers who would cling to early retirement like a sailor mid Atlantic to a life raft ( if they weren't actually forced out ) Hard to imagine m/ANY NQTs today reaching retirement .

UK 'burnout' rate is 50% in first five years .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

ayeates wrote: »
    I completed a degree in Law and Nua-Ghaeilge and after pursuing a career in law I realised my passion. lies in teaching.

I checked the teaching council lost of accreditited degrees and although my specific ccourse isn't listed my Irish compomnent is recognised on the arts courts.

In regards to law, I had hope it would be recognised under cspe but it doesn't seem to be under other dual law degrees. Whereas cspe is recognised for sociology or politics subjects.

I'm wondering is there any way to get around this. Can I do modules in cspe during the new pme or cou I even go to the UK to teach law and Irish as I've heard some schools do offer Irish as a subject?

Any other ideas would be most welcome as I'm deseparate to start teaching

If your Irish is good enough to ace the interview, it's possibly the only subject (Maths?) where you could get a job on it alone. I'd also look at dabbling in legal translation as something to enhance your teaching income (and it will need to be enhanced if you want to buy a house in Dublin). Our lecturer, who advises the Supreme Court on the Irish text, was very keen to recruit us into legal translation after our degrees as there is a shortage of people with the skills. You would seem to be an ideal candidate for a course like this.

Advertisement