Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

first time private versus public care

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It sounds like my dream :)

Now if only they make sure the baby comes out in a blast of rainbows and sunshine, I'll be content :p
    There really are not enough MLU's in the country. And the doctor's don't push them enough for healthy individuals who don't know what care is best. I had to source the information for myself, but I'm so glad I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I am going through public care in the country (registered with Cavan through the Midwifery-Led Unit), and I'm delighted with my care to date. I had my booking appointment with them at 20 weeks, but was given a full tour of the facilities prior to that. I get a private birthing suite where I will also stay after my baby is born. The only exception to this is if I end up needing a CS or opt for an epidural - the midwife care does not cover this, and I would have to be transferred to consultant care (across the hall). The other exception would be if I went into labour while both rooms were already occupied, but they have assured me this has yet to happen as they only take a certain amount of bookings to ensure that three people are not likely to have normal, full-term deliveries at the same time.
    I have waited no longer than 10 minutes to be seen for all of my appointments. I have seen 4 different midwives who are all absolute darlings and never have to go chasing for information on my notes. I had to go in for one suspected emergency, which turned out to be nothing, I was seen immediately, and my mind was totally put at ease by all the tests they ran before they sent me home.

Obviously it won't suit everyone because you need to be low-risk, will not be dealing with a consultant and will only get gas&air and a shot of pethidine at labour (as well as access to the birthing pool, your own TV, birthing ball, private en-suite and a pull-out sofa bed for any visitors you would like to sleep over), but considering it is all under public care, I'd consider myself mad to pay for the same treatment!

That sounds fab and very similar to unit in drogheda. Supposedly if you do opt for an epidural you are actually moved out of room during labour!

Millem wrote: »
    That sounds fab and very similar to unit in drogheda. Supposedly if you do opt for an epidural you are actually moved out of room during labour!

Yup, its the same as the Drogheda one as far as I know! Yep, no epidural on the MLU side - you have to be transferred to consultancy side for that. I've decided 100% against an epidural anyway, the only way I'm going to be transferred out is if I need or decide I want a c-section. I know it seems weird, but I'll take the surgery before the needle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Yup, its the same as the Drogheda one as far as I know! Yep, no epidural on the MLU side - you have to be transferred to consultancy side for that. I've decided 100% against an epidural anyway, the only way I'm going to be transferred out is if I need or decide I want a c-section. I know it seems weird, but I'll take the surgery before the needle!

I didn't think elective C sections were possible in Ireland? May be wrong there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I didn't think elective C sections were possible in Ireland? May be wrong there ...

Depends on the individual. History etc and consultant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Ya may need the needle first thou if a c section is the option your faced with !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You need the needle for the c section unless they are putting you under general anaesthetic and you really don't want to miss the birth of your baby if you can help it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I felt the same :) I did not want an epidural unless it was a dire emergency .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They are and are more common under private care .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you go fully private and select the right consultant you'll get a non medical elective section no problem.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    If you go fully private and select the right consultant you'll get a non medical elective section no problem.

Or semi-private with the right consultant. A member here had a fully elective non medical c section on her first under semi-private care in the Rotunda around 5 years ago.

Those midwives are meant to be so amazing you and really get you through it. I was the same as you, no way was I having an epidural I told all my midwives no matter what do not give it to me! The pool is meant to be so great for the pain

Those midwives are meant to be so amazing you and really get you through it. I was the same as you, no way was I having an epidural I told all my midwives no matter what do not give it to me! The pool is meant to be so great for the pain

I find hot water to be great relief for just about anything, so I imagine it would be fabulous (I've never given birth before).
    So excited, it's like a little hotel room!

I find hot water to be great relief for just about anything, so I imagine it would be fabulous (I've never given birth before).
    So excited, it's like a little hotel room!

I wish domino in holles street had a pool I think the coombe do though. Your partner can get into pool with you if you want but they need to wear their swimming togs lol!

I wish domino in holles street had a pool I think the coombe do though. Your partner can get into pool with you if you want but they need to wear their swimming togs lol!

The Coombe have pools... the Rotunda used to but they removed it.

January wrote: »
    The Coombe have pools... the Rotunda used to but they removed it.

Any idea why?

Any idea why?

Well there was the ban on water births in Ireland for a good while after a baby died during a water birth. It was lifted recently but there aren't that many midwives trained in water births any longer.

The Rotunda removed theirs during the ban. The Coombes are pretty new and were built after the ban was lifted.

Wow knew nothing about that!

Water births always look lovely on One Born Every Minute. It's not something that's ever appealed to me at all! But nice option to have available. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

As far as I know giving birth in water is still banned in Irish hospitals. In the coombe you can labour in the baths but you have to get out once you're in the final stages. I'm not sure how that'd work if you were in the full throes of pushing though.

As far as I know giving birth in water is still banned in Irish hospitals. In the coombe you can labour in the baths but you have to get out once you're in the final stages. I'm not sure how that'd work if you were in the full throes of pushing though.

I think, according to Tracey Donegan (Gentle Birth/midwife), the ban was lifted sometime in 2012 and there was on-going training of midwives. I haven't heard of a water birth since then, well, home water births, yes. But I don't think they are still banned, I'm open to correction though.

Not that I'd ever get one, stupid c section would prevent me from even getting near the pool in the Coombe.

• Advertisement

Anyone I know who was in a pool got out at the pushing stage.

Anyone I know who was in a pool got out at the pushing stage.

Same in Cavan, stay in there as long as you like, but once the pushing stage starts, they take you out. Partner doesn't want to get in with me because he's afraid he'll get excited :P

Same in Cavan, stay in there as long as you like, but once the pushing stage starts, they take you out. Partner doesn't want to get in with me because he's afraid he'll get excited :P

Yeah ... no! :D You can tell him that labour is absolutely NOT a situation where he'll be in any way excited! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Yeah ... no! :D You can tell him that labour is absolutely NOT a situation where he'll be in any way excited! :D

Was thinking the same thing myself :P I was pretty quiet during labour until the bitter end but I'd say I looked terrifying to my husband....even though my hair still looked great in the after pictures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It doesn't apply to me as I'm finished :P but it's great news for pregnant women.

I would have loved the option of water as pain relief , my daily warm baths got me through most the pain of pregnancy !

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

What's the story if your waters have broken - are you still allowed into the pool? I know in my antenatal class we were told that it was showers only - no baths - once the waters had broken?

What's the story if your waters have broken - are you still allowed into the pool? I know in my antenatal class we were told that it was showers only - no baths - once the waters had broken?

No you can go into the pool right up to pushing. Maybe different hospitals have different rules but holles street recommend you taking a bath! (But we were told to bring a sample of our water once they had broken)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

No you can go into the pool right up to pushing. Maybe different hospitals have different rules but holles street recommend you taking a bath! (But we were told to bring a sample of our water once they had broken)

To the best of my knowledge you can't go in the pool in CUMH once your waters have broken. You also can't use it if you've been induced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My wife was public in the rotunda on both ours but got a semi private room on the first.
    I was amazed at the lack of midwives on duty at the weekend.
    We were falling over them during the week and there were 2 covering private and semi at the weekend.
    The thing with public clinics is to be there an hour beforehand to get your number so as to be seen early.

Advertisement