Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comin Home/Goin Back For Christmas.

• 28-12-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

Any opinions on the new-found media fixation with meetin people at d'airport ?

This year particularly seemed to see far more meejia interest with such stuff,with reporters and camera persons abounding in Arrivals to record emotional families reuniting en masse.

I'm wonderin if the prosess will be repeated at Departures over the next week or even if we'll see the same families displaying how they survived Irish Christmas craíc intact and remain on speaking terms ?

Is there an eventual end in sight I wonder ?....a TV3 News crew at the 13 bus terminus,Harmonstown Dart Station or perhaps even Broombridge Station...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Could it be worth a "Gathering" style PR thing for 2014 ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

They didn't turn up, did they.

Nevermind, maybe next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Sure loads of people interviewed never heard of the Gathering, claiming that it was responsible for the extra visitors this year is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Nothing new about it. Media have been a feature at the airport at Christmas for as long as I have been alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

It's just extra "heartwarming" filler the news seems to like to report. Oh the poor returning emigrants and all that jazz. BUT! without it there would never have been this>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Sorry to burst your bubble but it isn't new. They've been doing it for years and years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

TV3 were in Terminal 2 when I arrived in, thank God they were interviewing someone when I came through. Didn't want to see myself abandoning my luggage and running tearfully towards my mammy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Daqster wrote: »
    They didn't turn up, did they.

Nevermind, maybe next year.

Turned up all right......spent 3 days listenin to grumblin about how dear Taxi's have gone in Dublin,cos I did'nt go out to pick em up !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

They weren't there the night my mum and I went to collect my sister. After me going to all the effort of making a big banner for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It's nice to see people reunited after however long. Personally I'd rather try the surprise approach then meeting in the airport though.

• Advertisement

Witchie wrote: »
    They weren't there the night my mum and I went to collect my sister. After me going to all the effort of making a big banner for her.

Now that IS good Witchie !!

Open up all kinds of possibilities,especially for neighbours who don't get on.....:):):) Hmmmmmm :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I love all that ****e and has me crying hot, snotty tears at the drop of a hat. I'm ridiculously sentimental. Probably because there's been a lot of emigration in my own family and I spent half of my childhood in Dublin airport greeting and saying goodbye to siblings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Glad to see that the so called 'best and brightest' are back for Christmas.

Glad to see that the so called 'best and brightest' are back for Christmas.

I wonder if,in the pre-internet, Skype n Facebook days,was there as much hoo-hah made about these reunions ?

It's my experience that many new generation emigrants,tend to hit the homeland several times per anum.... not always interacting with their beloved families either....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My first thought when back. "Jesus, Terminal 2 has turned to ****e...why spend millions to build this place and then not bother to keep the floors clean!?"

Well actually my first thought was, nice of the guy checking my passport to not even look up to acknowledge me.

Advertisement