Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Bechdel test sexist?

• 27-12-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've just had a row with my sister over this. I believe that since it's only a measure of whether movies incorporate and portray women in a particular manner and it doesn't afford men the same (or any) measure, I can't see how it can be viewed as a measure of gender bias.

If that be the case, a) is it appropriate that it is incorporated by the media mentioned on wikipedia? and b) is it sexist if it ignores any reference to bias that favours women?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test
    What is now known as the Bechdel test was introduced in Alison Bechdel's comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For. In a 1985 strip titled "The Rule",[8][9] an unnamed female character says that she only watches a movie if it satisfies the following requirements:[4]
    It has to have at least two women in it,
    who talk to each other,
    about something besides a man.
    [9][10]
    Bechdel credited the idea for the test to a friend and karate training partner, Liz Wallace.[10][11] She later wrote that she was pretty certain that Wallace was inspired by Virginia Woolf's essay A Room of One’s Own, reproduced in part above.[12]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

No idea what you're asking me OP but arguing with your sister? It's Christmas? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

cantdecide wrote: »
    I can't see how it can be viewed as a measure of gender bias.

It's a measure of representation and that's all, how the hell you've gotten an argument out of it is beyond me. :confused:

And is it sexist? Sure, whatever, why not, knock yourself out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Just some arbitrary criteria somebody drempt up,frankly my dear it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Links234 wrote: »
    And is it sexist? Sure, whatever, why not, knock yourself out...

So it's not then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I don;t think its sexist as such but I also not an indicator of sexism, to me its a sensible enough idea, if somebody likes a film that centers around the interaction of female characters then the test makes sense.

I don;t think the fact that so many films fail it though indicates any inherent sexism in Hollywood, simply that they are in the business of making money and so they tend to make films that the most people will like at least a little.

I don;t think its fair to apply it too films not aimed at that demographic, my personal test that every film should feature at least one scene with at least 7 seconds of automatic weapons fire wouldn't be fair to apply to a RomCom.

• Advertisement

The quantity of tight tops and short bottoms might be a better indicator.

So it's not then?

It's focusing on something specific, and that is the representation of women in movies. It's "sexist" in the sense that it's focusing on women, but then it's really just splitting hairs isn't it?

It's focusing on something specific, and that is the representation of women in movies. It's "sexist" in the sense that it's focusing on women, but then it's really just splitting hairs isn't it?
    It's a measure of representation and that's all

Not really. A movie can be about two women talking and if they mention a man, it fails.
    how the hell you've gotten an argument out of it is beyond me. :confused:

She reckons the fact that some media in Sweden incorporating it into it's ratings is a very positive step for women. I disagreed. I thought it was a pointless and biased exercise that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

The film Gravity fails the test because Sandra Bullock doesn't take to any other women in the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I believe that since it's only a measure of whether movies incorporate and portray women in a particular manner and it doesn't afford men the same (or any) measure, I can't see how it can be viewed as a measure of gender bias
    How does that follow? The 'test' should look at the portrayal of men to gauge whether the film's portrayal of women is sexist?

• Advertisement

Not really. A movie can be about two women talking and if they mention a man, it fails.

Then you've misunderstood the rules. It means that they have to talk about something else at least once. Eg; their entire dialogue can't just be talking about a guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Bit pointless really.

OP it's not supposed to be a way of clearing a film of any gender bias. It's supposed to be an indicator of the way women are portrayed in media. It's not even taken as seriously as that by most people, it's more usefully/appropriately used now as merely a point of interest, a way of pointing out that there's a shockingly small number of films that can pass it.

If a film doesn't pass the test, it doesn't mean it's sexist.

As for trying to say that the test itself is sexist, that just sounds like a desperate attempt at belittling the problem it's pointing out.

Edit: While I disagree with you about the point of your post, I would agree that Sweden treating it so seriously on a film-by-film basis is silly.

The film Gravity fails the test because Sandra Bullock doesn't take to any other women in the film.

So would Moon with Sam Rockwell. So would an absolute load of other really, really great films. It's not meant to be taken as a measure of quality.

OP it's not supposed to be a way of clearing a film of any gender bias. It's supposed to be an indicator of the way women are portrayed in media. It's not even taken as seriously as that by most people, it's more usefully/appropriately used now as merely a point of interest, a way of pointing out that there's a shockingly small number of films that can pass it.

As for trying to say that the test itself is sexist, that just sounds like a desperate attempt at belittling the problem it's pointing out.

Well Sweden are rating films by the test now so we should probably follow suit too.

Sweden is a role model for all of us.

Well Sweden are rating films by the test now so we should probably follow suit too.

I think you mean "a few cinemas in Sweden"

Men tend to be the centre of the action in a movie, women on the periphery as relatable spouses or love interests to give the men depth and context. Women lead roles are few in anything other than romcoms and those are all about the love interest of a man.

Movies like Alien or Gravity are the exception. In fact Gravity and Bridesmaids are the only recentish movies I can think of where women relate to each other without constant reference to husbands/boyfriends/children as the motivation.

So yes, I think it can be used as a good indication of women being stereotyped, but it's not definitive.

ETA: Gravity is a bad example, as has been pointed out the lead character doesn't interact with any other women.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://lby3.com/wir/women.html
    Not every woman in comics has been killed, raped, depowered, crippled, turned evil, maimed, tortured, contracted a disease or had other life-derailing tragedies befall her, but given the following list (originally compiled by Gail, with later additions and changes), it's hard to think up exceptions:

They must all live in a Utopia up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I suppose those riots in the summer are not an indication of deep social problems bubbling to the surface.

• Advertisement

I'm absolutely for the spirit of the test. I just think that it's inherently flawed and using it in anger, as has happened in Sweden, actually would permit a movie with the exact reverse gender bias to pass. Maybe sexism by omission is what I'm angling at: a test that measures gender bias but only against women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

It is not really identifying gender roles or a bias where they might be against gender equality.

A work can pass the test and still contain sexist content, and a work with prominent female characters can fail the test.
    A work may fail the test for reasons unrelated to gender bias, such as because its setting works against the inclusion of women (e.g., Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, set in a medieval monastery) For these reasons, the Telegraph film critic Robbie Collin criticized the test as prizing "box-ticking and stat-hoarding over analysis and appreciation", and suggested that the underlying problem of the lack of well-drawn female characters in film ought to be a topic of discourse, rather than films failing or passing the Bechdel test.

I think what you are saying is that the test presumes the role of fiction is to represent women in a certain way rather than presuming fiction's role is whatever agenda the creator may have. And the question then becomes is that sexist? I don't know.

I think this type of test might actually be very damaging to film or fiction though potentially. It might be an interesting exercise now and again Well real life is sexist. And fiction should not be 'tested' with an agenda.

I am a writer myself I find this interesting. Instead of rejecting the Bechdel test or adopting it critics should focus on the obvious. What does it mean that, in film, women can barely be imagined to have important things to say to each other? Does this have anything to do with implicit criteria of quality and taste? Why not take the challenge to push one's imagination outside the conventions that come most easily to mind?

It just seems lazy and not to address a certain lack of character development.

Reekwind wrote: »
    I think you mean "a few cinemas in Sweden"

Googling a few sources for this story, I found this, and supposedly:
    A group of four movie theaters in Sweden have adopted a new rating system to expose gender bias--if a film passes the Bechdel Test, it gets an A rating.

I expected this to have been a mountain that had been made out of a molehill, but this takes the biscuit as far as Daily Mail-style faux outrage goes. Wow, 4 threaters decided to rate films. Yeah...

I'm absolutely for the spirit of the test. I just think that it's inherently flawed and using it in anger, as has happened in Sweden, actually would permit a movie with the exact reverse gender bias to pass. Maybe sexism by omission is what I'm angling at: a test that measures gender bias but only against women.

What kind of gender bias against men do you think it could promote? I don't think I'm following.

I'm absolutely for the spirit of the test. I just think that it's inherently flawed and using it in anger, as has happened in Sweden, actually would permit a movie with the exact reverse gender bias to pass
    1) No film has been banned or restricted in Sweden on the basis of this 'test'. Some cinemas have chosen to use it to publicly rate the films they show, in order to raise awareness of sexism in cinema

2) What films do you think display "the exact reverse gender bias"? I struggle to think of any mainstream release that could be considered sexist towards men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

I'd suggest given some of the examples other posters have given, that the test looks to create a problem and then screams about bias etc. To put it another way, a test with an excess of false positives isn't a very good test.

So movies use stereotypes- wouldn't have guessed that. Any reason why we should care more about how they stereotype women than every other section of society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yes, it is discriminatory (as is any measure which seeks to further the equality of one particular group rather than of everyone) and no, it's not worth getting into an argument about.

1) No film has been banned or restricted in Sweden on the basis of this 'test'. Some cinemas have chosen to use it to publicly rate the films they show, in order to raise awareness of sexism in cinema

2) What films do you think display "the exact reverse gender bias"? I struggle to think of any mainstream release that could be considered sexist towards men

I know even thinking a movie could be sexist against men is a ridiculous idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Not too familiar with Ms Bechedel's work, but I wonder how many middle-class straight white males feature in her comics. Not anything wrong with that, it's simply satisfying her fringe target audience, which is exactly what the big Hollywood studios also do for a larger audience. Pointless box-ticking exercises aren't what the public want.

I also wonder why the conversation has to be between two women (other than say between a man and a woman) to be valid. Two women talking about babies, shopping or getting their hair done would pass yet a man and a woman discussing something (non-relationship) plot-driven doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

1)

The test effectively looks for stereotyping of female roles. Can you really not think of a single movie that stereotypes male roles?

Candie wrote: »
    What kind of gender bias against men do you think it could promote? I don't think I'm following.

I don't think it promotes male stereotyping, I think it's just too one-sided to be fair. I don't understand how it can be regarded as a measure of gender bias when it ignores the potential for men to be stereotyped.

1) Defo

2) None afaik, tbh.

The point is the test could have a single weak male character that speaks about the female protagonist and still pass the Bechdel test. How is it fair and how is then a measure of gender bias.

The reason for the thread is because I was berated for calling the test irrelevant, one-sided (sexist) and ridiculous. Am I wrong?

Haven't seen it so guessing Sex in the City.

The point is the test could have a single weak male character that speaks about the female protagonist and still pass the Bechdel test. How is it fair and how is then a measure of gender bias.

The reason for the thread is because I was berated for calling the test irrelevant, one-sided (sexist) and ridiculous. Am I wrong?

You're wrong because you seem to be missing the point of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

The what? Who gives a ****?

tritium wrote: »
    The test effectively looks for stereotyping of female roles. Can you really not think of a single movie that stereotypes male roles?
    Name me a mainstream film that is sexist in its portrayal of men. I honestly can't think of one
    cantdecide wrote:
    The presence of a male character is irrelevant: the 'test' looks at the roles that female characters have in the film to gauge (roughly) how the latter portrays women. That's all
    Yes. First of all, the notion that the 'test' is "sexist" because it's "one-sided" is silly. This is not some scientific examination as to the fender balance of a film; it's a rough pass/fail guide to sexist portrayals of women. It's not sexist to call out sexism in the film industry

You probably didn't do yourself any favours by suggesting that the latter (sexism in Hollywood) is "irrelevant"

• Advertisement

Maybe sexism by omission is what I'm angling at: a test that measures gender bias but only against women.
    It's not a test to measure gender bias though. It's a test to point out that while women may be part of a movie, they're often only tools being used to bulk out the male-centred plot. The reason that it looks at this, and not at the converse, should be glaringly obvious.
    Yep. If it were a measure of sexism, then you'd be perfectly justified. But that's simply not what it is.

Name me a mainstream film that is sexist in its portrayal of men. I honestly can't think of one

Grand
    The presence of a male character is irrelevant: the 'test' looks at the roles that female characters have in the film to gauge (roughly) how the latter portrays women. That's all

Yes. First of all, the notion that the 'test' is "sexist" because it's "one-sided" is silly. This is not some scientific examination as to the fender balance of a film; it's a rough pass/fail guide to sexist portrayals of women. It's not sexist to call out sexism in the film industry

What about how the test is used by the media. Is it fair to use the rating where no test exists of negative male stereotyping?
    You probably didn't do yourself any favours by suggesting that the latter (sexism in Hollywood) is "irrelevant"

Never said that. Not once. The proof is why would I say something I didn't believe? I said it was an irrelevant test that proves very little about how sexist or gender biased (against women) a movie is and how well represented women are using extremely narrow parameters. The issue of sexism in Hollywood is huge. I agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Candie wrote: »
    Men tend to be the centre of the action in a movie, women on the periphery as relatable spouses or love interests to give the men depth and context.

Almost every Tom Cruise movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Bechdel test is fascinating but also really flawed. It's amazing how many films fail it, despite it being such a low burden, but many of the passes are worse than the fails.

For example.

Portal 1 (the video game) has two characters, the player is a female mute called Chell, the antagonist is a robot with a female personality.

Because Chell never speaks it fails the Bechdel test, despite being arguably the most gender favourable (from a female perspective) video game ever. Like two pretty strong characters, no tits.

On the flip side, breaking bad passes the Bechdel test within about 30 seconds of episode one. Goes on to spend 5 seasons portraying the two female characters as the ****ing annoying **** boring **** domestic nightmares of anti marriage propaganda. They're naggy, useless, dependant and generally no banter.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Bechdel test is fascinating but also really flawed. It's amazing how many films fail it, despite it being such a low burden, but many of the passes are worse than the fails.

For example.

Portal 1 (the video game) has two characters, the player is a female mute called Chell, the antagonist is a robot with a female personality.

Because Chell never speaks it fails the Bechdel test, despite being arguably the most gender favourable (from a female perspective) video game ever. Like two pretty strong characters, no tits.

On the flip side, breaking bad passes the Bechdel test within about 30 seconds of episode one. Goes on to spend 5 seasons portraying the two female characters as the ****ing annoying **** boring **** domestic nightmares of anti marriage propaganda. They're naggy, useless, dependant and generally no banter.

+1
    Begs the question of whom the test actually serves doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Almost every Tom Cruise movie.

Ah yeah but the bigger elephant in the room is the lack of Tom's actual penis.

Scientology made it fall off.

He went from maybe homosexual to asexual then it just fell right off :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

This test is as valid as one where a woman must hold a gun or 2 men must give each other a high five.No idea how anyone could take it seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Lou.m wrote: »
    Ah yeah but the bigger elephant in the room is the lack of Tom's actual penis.

Scientology made it fall off.

He went from maybe homosexual to asexual then it just fell right off :eek:

I guess I should have said the roles Tom Cruise plays! :o

I think it sounds interesting from a "did you know" kinda perspective and that's about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

errlloyd wrote: »
    B

Massively disagree here.

The point in the Bechdel test is to see if the females are objectified or if they actually have PERSONALITY. Any traits they are given humanise them and raise them above the level of T & A which is pretty much how most female characters were portrayed in mainstream media before say, 5 or so years ago.

Skyler becomes like a mob wife - hypocritical, cold, calculating, controlling. Her character development is great. Marie is a good wife, sweet, loyal, bit manic, desperately maternal - kind of ends up becoming the opposite of Skylar, and a mirror of whet she ends up becoming.

Then you have Jane, Lydia, Andrea... Plenty of female characters with different personalities and purpose. Not just pretty faces or there to be rescued or guide/ assist the male protagonist on his manly quest.

Edit: Not condoning how women are represented in Breaking Bad, plenty of misogyny, with all the **** that happens them, but they do have personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This is weird. I just came across this thread about two hours after two friends of mine also had an argument about the Bechdel test, although for different reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I've just had a row with my sister over this. I believe that since it's only a measure of whether movies incorporate and portray women in a particular manner and it doesn't afford men the same (or any) measure, I can't see how it can be viewed as a measure of gender bias.

If that be the case, a) is it appropriate that it is incorporated by the media mentioned on wikipedia? and b) is it sexist if it ignores any reference to bias that favours women?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test

If (a) refers to unknown condition (b) on the sexuality bias of the aforementioned, then naturally (b) [in reference to the test itself] [on condition of knowing the test] would be a measure of (c) the bias of making no fvcking sense whatsoever. In which case question = sh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Would the vast majority of films not instantly fail this simply because of their subject matter?

Any war film will be nearly all men, especially a historic one, so just about all of those will fail. A film about soldiers in Stalingrad or D-Day would have to deviate a lot to suddenly include 2 womens conversations. (Downfall might pass the test actually)

Same for superhero/fantasy films, like how would you work these female characters into Lord of the Rings or the Hulk? Is it token characters that are needed?

Films about politics/politicians? About 95% of politicians who ever lived have been men. Sports films and films about rock stars are again nearly totally male dominated areas. Where would you write these female characters and their conversations into these films?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Would the vast majority of films not instantly fail this simply because of their subject matter?

Any war film will be nearly all men, especially a historic one, so just about all of those will fail. A film about soldiers in Stalingrad or D-Day would have to deviate a lot to suddenly include 2 womens conversations. (Downfall might pass the test actually)

Same for superhero/fantasy films, like how would you work these female characters into Lord of the Rings or the Hulk? Is it token characters that are needed?

Films about politics/politicians? About 95% of politicians who ever lived have been men. Sports films and films about rock stars are again nearly totally male dominated areas. Where would you write these female characters and their conversations into these films?

It's pretty clear that the Beshdel test is worthless. Gravity fails it, for example, despite the entire film being about a strong female character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I watched a short film the other night, centring on two women who had some intercourse, with no men involved in the film at all. I don't think it struck any blows for feminism though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement