Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tip or not / IKEA delivery ?

• 27-12-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Limecube

Getting couch delivered. Its in 3 boxes. Cost €500. Delivery €75. Distance from IKEA store is 7km. Just asking them to drop outside apartment. Not help with bringing into lift, etc. Or even to enter the premises. Just get product out of delivery van. Question is, tip or not? And if so, how much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Limecube

Goggling seems to suggest €20 per delivery guy, so that would be €40. Seems a bit steep considering delivery charge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You're paying 75 delivery. Why the **** would you tip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

No. They get paid. There is also a delivery charge. Tipping is a US racket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do you tip the girl at the check out in ikea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Have you more money than sense? If so, tip away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Also, 75€ delivery seems astronomical

Ok, couch delivered. €0 tip given! Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

€75!!! Rent a van and pick it up

Also, 75€ delivery seems astronomical

Agreed. Was going to go with the "rent a van", but more hassle then its worth and not much cheaper. Like maybe €10 cheaper. And I'd be driving up and down to IKEA all day! Pain in the arse all-round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Why is there a question?

It's 7 little kilometres. A 10 minute drive max. They're doing their jobs, not even fully doing it. Just dropping off the boxes. They're ripping you off charging you 75 and you want to tip?

A tip is usually given for a great service and by the sounds of it, this isn't that.

I don't. I'm rubbish at tipping except a little at restaurants. I just googled delivery man tips and there seemed to be a lot of hits suggesting you do tip; albeit mostly from US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Here's a tip.

No way on this sweet green earth would I pay €75 for delivery. Especially for 7km. It's 15% of the price of the couch.

You could probably hire a van for less or have a friend help you for beers (or free. I would definitely help a friend for free).

Also remembered, went to self-checkout! No way, I'm tipping a robot! Bet you they will do it first in the US though.

Also, breaking news: IKEA really isn't that cheap. And its a pain in the ass to buy large item like this from. Had to carry couch myself off of the shelves. Asked for assistance but told that its not given for this item. Item weights 118kg. Felt heavy enough to me anyways!. Dragged it through self-checkout. Then down to delivery desk. Waiting around for 20 mins for someone to show up. Paid €75. Normal furniture shop from now on, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If there's a delivery charge (regardless of service) then no, no tip. I'd consider tipping if there was free delivery, but they'd want to go above and beyond.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Here's a tip.

No way on this sweet green earth would I pay €75 for delivery. Especially for 7km. It's 15% of the price of the couch.

You could probably hire a van for less or have a friend help you for beers (or free. I would definitely help a friend for free).

Agreed its expensive. Its based on "price" of the item rather than size/weight/distance. Its a rip-off. I checked out Europcar van rental on my iPhone while in the store and was getting a €60 quote. So getting delivery ended up being a €15 luxury. And as I had the item paid for, I would have had to try and rent it there and then. I really didn't plan it right so near to Christmas. Unlike, IKEA Belfast, you can't rent vans at the store. So I ended up being stuck. Not going to happen again !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Put some wheels on the boxes and I'll push them to your house for a tenor.

The wind will help me so make it a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tip, why?

Ikea delivery, Tesco delivery, B&Q delivery. That's their job, and they get well paid for doing it.

This > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88175892&postcount=3

• What is this, 2006? Who the hell tips furniture delivery guys? Especially when they've already paid a fortune in delivery charges. Fools and their money...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Limecube wrote: »
    Agreed its expensive. Its based on "price" of the item rather than size/weight/distance. Its a rip-off. I checked out Europcar van rental on my iPhone while in the store and was getting a €60 quote. So getting delivery ended up being a €15 luxury. And as I had the item paid for, I would have had to try and rent it there and then. I really didn't plan it right so near to Christmas. Unlike, IKEA Belfast, you can't rent vans at the store. So I ended up being stuck. Not going to happen again !

Just out of curiosity, what kind of phone have you got OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the delivery man is probably getting paid **** all. If your local pizza place charges a €3 delivery charge. Do you honestly think the driver is getting that €3? They are probably on €8,65 an hour and never see a cent of the delivery charge.

Like wise the ikea delivery guy isn't getting a cut of the delivery charge and ikea is probably a middle man for the delivery service ( I imagine its outsourced like UPCs maintainance is outsourced)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Dropping it off downstairs doesn't warrant a tip.

If they brought it upstairs I'd give them a tenner between them and say "There's a pint each lads, thanks." If they built it properly and took all the crap away I'd give them €20-30 between them depending how long it took them.

I've moved a fair bit of stuff from IKEA one weekend with a taxi, it was one of those 7 seater vans. he had an easy couple of hours and we saved a few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I used to work for a small independent furniture shop which offered free delivery and only once got a tip.
    Not a hope I'd give Ikea a tip, they charge enough for delivery already

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GoAheadCaller

hfallada wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the delivery man is probably getting paid **** all. If your local pizza place charges a €3 delivery charge. Do you honestly think the driver is getting that €3? They are probably on €8,65 an hour and never see a cent of the delivery charge.

F**k them, if they aren't happy with the wages then get another job or take it up with their employer. Not the consumers responsibility to ensure they get paid fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

mad muffin wrote: »
    Here's a tip.

Hire a van and spend the better part of your day and your friends day for the guts of what? €20?

You don't put much value on your free time do you?

To go through all that hassle for such a small saving is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Put some wheels on the boxes and I'll push them to your house for a tenor.

The wind will help me so make it a fiver.

Fan of the opera, are we?

I do like the wheels on boxes thing... you could just hop on it and wheel away, it would be great fun, I'd do it for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Ikea is not so cheap tbh. You get lego shyte that you lug yourself, build yourself and it's cheap as5 furniture. There's a reason Ingvar kampradsventorsten is soo rich.. I'd rather nail togehter a few pallets, slap on some foam and fabric and sit on that..which is pretty much what you are doing.. delivery?? No recession in your gaff.. could you not pay the kids to carry it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Agreed. Was going to go with the "rent a van", but more hassle then its worth and not much cheaper. Like maybe €10 cheaper. And I'd be driving up and down to IKEA all day! Pain in the arse all-round.

Is it flat pack? Call a large taxi 10-15 squid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I paid 20 euro to Powercity to bring a TV 4km to me

75 euro sounds like robbery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

hfallada wrote: »

Like wise the ikea delivery guy isn't getting a cut of the delivery charge and ikea is probably a middle man for the delivery service ( I imagine its outsourced like UPCs maintainance is outsourced)

What he's getting paid, or whether he gets any of the delivery charge, is irrelevant to me. If I tipped him, why not tip cashiers, or even Gardai walking down the street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

€75 is extortionate! Most of the furniture companies use external delivery services and that's the price they charge so I definitely wouldn't be tipping.

A friend of mine bought a bed in Harvey Norman and they were looking €50 to deliver it, they lived about 500m from the store and had just paid 1300 for a bed....

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of phone have you got OP?

Your digging at me, cause i typed "iPhone"? I'm a full time iOS developer; swimming in the ****ing things. For me iphone == mobile phone == deployment platform for code I write at work. So what?

Is it flat pack? Call a large taxi 10-15 squid.

WHY didn't I think of that? That would have worked. The boxes were pretty big, but a "wheelchair taxi" would have taken them. Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Tip em to bring it upstairs and take the boxes away.

Otherwise save your money.

"Thanks lads, any chance that you could bring that up, there's a decent drink in it for ya"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Hire a van and spend the better part of your day and your friends day for the guts of what? €20?

You don't put much value on your free time do you?

To go through all that hassle for such a small saving is ridiculous.

I wouldn't hire a van myself as I have access to a van ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Your digging at me, cause i typed "iPhone"? I'm a full time iOS developer; swimming in the ****ing things. For me iphone == mobile phone == deployment platform for code I write at work. So what?

Here's one, how can you tell if someone on an internet forum is a developer....they'll tell you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onemanandhisvan

Also, breaking news: IKEA really isn't that cheap. And its a pain in the ass to buy large item like this from. Had to carry couch myself off of the shelves. Asked for assistance but told that its not given for this item. Item weights 118kg. Felt heavy enough to me anyways!. Dragged it through self-checkout. Then down to delivery desk. Waiting around for 20 mins for someone to show up. Paid €75. Normal furniture shop from now on, I think.

I agree that €75 is a bit much for such a short delivery considering you had to do all the shopping yourself. I've been operating a shopping and delivery service in the west of Ireland for 6 years now and would charge around the same for a sofa, only I do the shopping for the customer also, meaning they don't even have to travel to the store.
    If I had the in-house delivery service in Ikea I would make some major changes to their pricing in favour of the customer. My minimum delivery charge is only €25 to the west and that's for shopping as well! Ikea's is €120 to the west regardless of order size... Reform is definitely required.

Advertisement