Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you one of the 7%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

No
    13 correct. 50% were stupid easy though.

In your face 93% !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

12/13 and I was **** at science in school !!!

Got the electrons one wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Don't know
    haha 7% of the overall population get it right but 66% of bordsies....

I'm honest, I did not get all the answers but hey I'm in the top 25%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Don't know
    11/13 and i was crap at science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Don't know
    i got 12 out of 13 right. i got the about what gas makes up most of the worlds athmosphere. nitrogen? well ill be damned :D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No
    I got 13, but the girlfriend who is probably smarter than me only got 10. Goes to show it's only easy if you know the answers. I'm interested in science and technology, she's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

10%, as I over thought 2 questions and answered incorrectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

No
    I am totally chuffed. Got all 13 correct. I didn't even do science at school. Gotta love being able to pick up the random facts from reading and shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

10 out of 13 very happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Got 12. Dam lasers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Don't know
    emo72 wrote: »
    one wrong. the oxygen one. i wavered a bit i knew it was tricky

me too. feckin red blood cells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm well chuffed as I got 12/13 and have zero interest in science or technology. Drives my kids mad that I've no interest in space or anything like that - can't even tell them whether the sun goes round the moon or the earth round the sun ....who gives a damn as there's nothing we can do about it anyway. Want to study space,try Wallace & Gromit "A Grand Day Out" or an episode of Star trek. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Eleven right. Not too bad I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Don't know
    12 out of 13. Got the antibiotic one wrong which was apparently very easy going by the responses here. Can easily see how fracking could trip someone up who hadn't heard of it, so too the earth atmosphere Q. One thing I'm very surprised about is the majority of people who took the quiz thought an electron was bigger than an atom which I thought was one of the most basic questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Ah crap got one wrong that I really knew. I rushed them too much.
    It says I did better than 85 percent of public, below 7 and above 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭garde2k10

No
    I AM THE 7%

'I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Don't know
    Fentdog84 wrote: »
    i got 8 Im stupid :(

I got 7, I'm stupider.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Don't know
    12 out of 13. I got number 7 wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mustard_igloo

I got 9 correct, and I wasn't distracted or anything. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

No
    13/13

Is sugar dissolving not a chemical reaction? Something to do with the negative charge on the water molecule or something? Or is that something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Don't know
    12 ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

all correct though the last question is not correct; fracking is used for things other than just gas

They are all very simple though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Chet T16 wrote: »
    13/13

Is sugar dissolving not a chemical reaction? Something to do with the negative charge on the water molecule or something? Or is that something else?

no, the water and sugar molecules remain unchanged into a different form, boil off the water and the sugar remains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Don't know
    10 out of 13, quite pleased actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Don't know
    13/13

If you think that how did you get 13/13?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd have little interest in Science but it would be a very basic test for anyone with a passing interest in Science. When we were in school we would have all got 13/13 easily enough I imagine.

No
    no, the water and sugar molecules remain unchanged into a different form, boil off the water and the sugar remains.

Thanks.

So what is the process for the sugar dissolving called if it's not a chemical reaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

11...good? I don't know or care tbh...

No
    WellThen? wrote: »
    If you think that how did you get 13/13?

I knew rusting was so picked that but was unsure of how sugar dissolving "worked"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Don't know
    I got 11/13 :( Got the radioactivity question and the fracking question wrong. Still, very surprised how low the averages are, it's quite depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Don't know
    10/13, pretty happy with that. Never did a science subject in my life, probably the reason I am now a music lecturer, not a science lecturer! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

12/13 is fairly respectable seeing as the last science lesson I partook in was for my Junior cert, and that was 18 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Don't know
    Thanks.

So what is the process for the sugar dissolving called if it's not a chemical reaction?
    It's called making tae.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Don't know
    Thanks.

Its purely the physical mechanism of the sugar crystals dissolving to molecules. Although chemistry is a branch of physics so technically all chemical reactions are physical reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

Don't know
    I got 10/13, happy with that!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I only got 11. Because wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Al-right got twelve, I'm well chuffed!! Although still annoyed with the one I got wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

11 out of 13.
    You scored better than 75% of the public, below 15% and the same as 10%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

No
    That's worrying how only such a small minority of people get all of those questions correct.

I actually thought they were trick questions.

people are stoopid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Striking how the 65+ age group are by far the worst performing. I'm guessing it's a reflection of education as in they finished theirs about 50 years ago and some of these facts (e.g. electrons smaller than atoms) wouldn't have been known then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I only got one wrong, The one about lasers, I scored better than 85% of people.I thought a few would be deliberate trick questions but there weren't any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭BQQ

13/13

Scary that only 31 percent of college grads knew that air is mostly nitrogen.
    That's primary school stuff.
    *shakes head*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

11/13 Got the last two wrong. Annoyed I got the 12th wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

No
    Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz Results
    You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.
    This quiz is a joint effort between the Pew Research Center and Smithsonian magazine.

See below how your results compare with the 1,006 randomly sampled adults that took part in our national survey and review how you responded to each question. For more findings from the survey, read "Public's Knowledge of Science and Technology."
    You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No
    Not sure if I should feel insulted at how basic the questions were or depressed that such a huge percentage of the US would have trouble with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

No
    13 out of 13 top 7%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

You answered 11 of 13 questions correctly.

You scored better than 75% of the public, below 15% and the same as 10%.

I'm not an old codger after all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No
    13 out of 13. Pretty basic stuff mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Don't know
    Definitely. For some reason, certain posters on here believe Boards is a completely representative sample of the population and thus any deviance in the results from the population is due to people lying. In reality, this will never be the case because:

1. The "average" Boards user is more intelligent than the "average" Irish person.
    2. People with poor science knowledge either won't do the quiz or else won't post their results.

This is fairly basic statistics, yet some people insist that "75% of Irish people lie in polls".

I have poor science knowledge(Chemistry especially but I do know some Physics )
    Here's the truth, got 9\13, strip out the guessing and I really got 6\13. I'm a victim of a bad 90's Chemistry teacher teachings, achieved a grade F on the subject in my Inter Cert and obviously never touched Chemistry again.

All radioactivity is man-made - Guessed wrong
    Electrons are smaller than atoms. Is this statement - Guessed right (atoms arrgghh, hate them)
    Lasers work by focusing sound waves. Is this statement.. - Knew correct answer
    The continents on which we live have been moving... - Knew it correctly from Geography which I was good at.
    Which one of the following types of solar radiation does sunscreen protect the skin from - Knew correct answer
    Does nanotechnology deal with things that are extremely.. - Knew correct answer
    Which gas makes up most of the Earth’s atmosphere? - Guessed right
    What is the main function of red blood cells? - Guessed right (haven't a clue, failed Biology too!)
    Which of these is a major concern about the overuse of antibiotics? - Knew correctly
    Which is an example of a chemical reaction? - Haven't a clue for obvious reasons :)
    Which is the better way to determine whether a new drug... - Guessed wrong(wasn't sure)
    What gas do most scientists believe causes temperatures in the atmosphere to rise? - Guessed wrong
    Which natural resource is extracted in a process known as “fracking”? - Knew correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Don't know
    12/13
    It was a toss up between Hydrogen and Nitrogen and I lost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement