Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you one of the 7%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Don't know
    9/13 woo hoo I'm above average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

No
    Got them all correct. Now where is my research grant, tenure and team of doctorate students to help in my research?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

11 out of 13. I'm happy I got that. I'm more of an English and history kinda guy, science didn't agree with me in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

No
    Yes but I can see how people might get them wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Don't know
    12/13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

No
    13/13 Phew! After making such a balls of the countries in Europe test I was worried about Alzheimer's setting in.

Interesting that fewer women than men answered each question correctly. And the questions where women did better in comparison to men were all biology questions, rather than physics or chemistry. I wonder if that's nature or nurture?

Anyway, I did my bit to get the female average up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I got 12 i said hydrogen was the most abundant gas. I'm distraught.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

FRACKING FRACKING!

12 / 13. never heard of 'fracking before'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No
    Inquitus wrote: »
    In the OECD's latest Programme for International Student Assessment league tables, Irish teens are ranked fourth out of 34 OECD countries when it comes to reading.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1203/490592-oecd/

Pray tell where are you getting your stats from?
    Here's a very quick couple I; http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/irish-adults-at-or-below-average-for-literacy-and-numeracy-1.1553861

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/education/irelands-literacy-and-numeracy-ranking-falls-154553.html

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/The-dumbing-down-of-Ireland---23-percent-of-males-are-illiterate-112121484.html

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

yes! 13/13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

No
    Cool! "You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

woodoo wrote: »
    that was the trickiest question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Don't know
    No:
    You answered 11 of 13 questions correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

No
    Cool! "You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%."
    Venisti, vidisti, vicisti

No
    Agonist wrote: »
    13/13 Phew! After making such a balls of the countries in Europe test I was worried about Alzheimer's setting in.

Interesting that fewer women than men answered each question correctly. And the questions where women did better in comparison to men were all biology questions, rather than physics or chemistry. I wonder if that's nature or nurture?

Anyway, I did my bit to get the female average up.

Yeah, I was interested in those stats too.
    Have also tried to bring it up now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

13/13!!!
    And I'll say two correct answers were directly the result watching QI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

No
    I got 13 out of 13 but this is elementary stuff. To get any sort of job in Science you now need at least a Masters level of knowledge to earn anything like a living wage.

I have two nephews and a niece working abroad or engaging in further study from degree level who are well versed in Science and cannot get jobs at degree level.

While increasing public knowledge of science has some benefits we have a LONG way to go to compete with the South Koreans, Finns or Swiss etc who are masters at this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Don't know
    Fracking hell.

12/13

Never heard of fracking before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

11/13

It's ok though, I can make up the other 2 by knowing how to kill you if you taunt me for being dumb :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

No
    13/13
    woodoo wrote: »
    Nitrogen is an inert gas, if we had that level of hydrogen then it would be nasty....just think of the Hindenberg disaster which was a blimp filled with Hyrdogen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

No
    doolox wrote: »
    I got 13 out of 13 but this is elementary stuff. To get any sort of job in Science you now need at least a Masters level of knowledge to earn anything like a living wage.

I have two nephews and a niece working abroad or engaging in further study from degree level who are well versed in Science and cannot get jobs at degree level.

While increasing public knowledge of science has some benefits we have a LONG way to go to compete with the South Koreans, Finns or Swiss etc who are masters at this stuff.
    So what you're saying is that I'm wasting my time putting that score on my CV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Don't know
    11 out of 13 :-/. Top 10%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

13. (I'm 36)

Only reason I got the 'fracking' question right was because I googled it a few years ago when Battlestar Galactica was on the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

13/13 - straightforward stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No
    Wibbs wrote: »

You said one in four 16 yo males had trouble with literacy, not something that any of those, mostly outdated, references support anyways.
    One in four 16 year old Irish males have trouble with literacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

12/13
    Didn't know what fracking was.

Also, to be honest, if the questions hadn't been multiple choice, I'd have done a lot worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

Don't know
    proof this place is full of nerds!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No
    In 2010, three years ago, from one of those links;

A Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) study has shown that one in six Irish students has significant reading problems while 23 percent of Irish males have lower than “functional literacy." This means that they can not communicate in society.

The survey shows that Ireland’s level of literacy has dropped more significantly than any other Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) country.

23% ain't much off 1 in 4 males.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

No
    13/13 ......phew. B.Sc graduate here sweating bricks with my soon to be 12 year old waiting for "an epic fail"

No
    The_Mask wrote: »
    11 out of 13 :-/. Top 10%
    Top 25%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Top 7% me arse, ya want to be 4 not to know all those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

No
    13/13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No
    FRACKING FRACKING!

12 / 13. never heard of 'fracking before'.
    Hydraulic fracturing, dig deep, split rock by pumping high pressure chemicals liquids into the hole. Allow gas to travel up to the void

No
    In 2010, three years ago, from one of those links;

A Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) study has shown that one in six Irish students has significant reading problems while 23 percent of Irish males have lower than “functional literacy." This means that they can not communicate in society.

The survey shows that Ireland’s level of literacy has dropped more significantly than any other Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) country.

23% ain't much off 1 in 4 males.

Aye but you said 16yo males, the education system has come on a great deal in modern times so 23% of all males is a far cry from 1 in 4 16yos, hence your statement is hugely misleading, as we can see from the recent stat I linked, our literacy is among the best in the OECD.

No
    ted1 wrote: »
    Hydraulic fracturing, dig deep, split rock by pumping high pressure chemicals liquids into the hole. Allow gas to travel up to the void
    And oil, fracking oil has made the difference between $110 a barrel and possible oil shortages today. Without it oil supplies would be declining year on year from a peak in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

No
    Tbh i thought they were very easy and im far from a science head, but the survey was done in america and id be suprised if 7% of them knew what their capitol was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

pretty simples..

13 right.
    science is an awkwardly wide topic to quiz on though. easy to not know something easy to learn while knowing a ton anyway

No
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye but you said 16yo males, the education system has come on a great deal in modern times so 23% of all males is a far cry from 1 in 4 16yos, hence your statement is hugely misleading, as we can see from the recent stat I linked, our literacy is among the best in the OECD.
    "Modern times"? That link/study was from 2010, not 1910. Three years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

No
    Got the 13 but was split 50/50 on the nitrogen one. More luck than knowledge I got it really

There are a lot of dumb people in America, but there are also a lot more people full stop. Those "Americans think x" things are nonsense to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

No
    Top marks here, all credit to LC science and the bits I picked over 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

9/13 I am obviously bad at gas, I got them all wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

No
    A nice confidence boost, 13/13, if only the Leaving Cert will be that easy in June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No
    All 13 correct, I should fecking hope to be getting that considering I'm doing science!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No
    I'd hazard a guess and say the average boards user knows more about science than the average Irish person. That said, 7% is incredibly low for such an easy test.

Definitely. For some reason, certain posters on here believe Boards is a completely representative sample of the population and thus any deviance in the results from the population is due to people lying. In reality, this will never be the case because:

1. The "average" Boards user is more intelligent than the "average" Irish person.
    2. People with poor science knowledge either won't do the quiz or else won't post their results.

This is fairly basic statistics, yet some people insist that "75% of Irish people lie in polls".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Don't know
    Definitely. For some reason, certain posters on here believe Boards is a completely representative sample of the population and thus any deviance in the results from the population is due to people lying. In reality, this will never be the case because:

1. The "average" Boards user is more intelligent than the "average" Irish person.
    2. People with poor science knowledge either won't do the quiz or else won't post their results.

This is fairly basic statistics, yet some people insist that "75% of Irish people lie in polls".
    My granny used to always say

It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No

It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.

That isn't something I'd disagree with. I'd very much doubt though that everybody, or even most people, would bother lying about an online quiz.

No

That's not the most useful adage, especially coming from a self-confessed liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

12/13.

Gimme a BSc

No
    "Modern times"? That link/study was from 2010, not 1910. Three years ago.

23% of males includes those born in 1910 ;) but it seems you could be part of the 23%!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

Don't know

Advertisement