Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hailo Cab - €5 free credit - Mobile app for ordering taxi's

• 14-07-2012 11:33pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This just launched in Dublin: https://hailocab.com/dublin/ - Really handy service I have used it a few times now

Use Promo Code "Dublin" for a free €5 credit. Not sure how but another €10 appeared on my account as well yesterday. I used the €5 for the first journey and the €10 for the second.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Amouar

Zascar wrote: »
    This just launched in Dublin: https://hailocab.com/dublin/ - Really handy service I have used it a few times now

Use Promo Code "Dublin" for a free €5 credit. Not sure how but another €10 appeared on my account as well yesterday. I used the €5 for the first journey and the €10 for the second.

Did the other 10 appear straight after the 5 ? I just signed in and got 5 only.

Do you get charged 2eur booking fee? ( same as phone booking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

You get charged a booking fee because you are booking a taxi ,Ifs its by phone or online its still a booking the app is handy as you know where your taxi is and who the driver is.
    Use it for my daughter as i registered my creditcard on her account so i know she can always avail of a taxi and not be stuck for money so it peace of mind for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

i got the hailo taxi app earlier in the week after seeing this thread and I got my €5 credit (even though they took €1 from my account).

I used the app on Tuesday night coming home from work and my fare was €10.65, I got my fiver off and opted to pay the rest by card. However, my card was charged €20 on this occasion. Could anybody explain why to me please why this happened? There is no evidence of any credit balance on my account and I cannot find any evidence of where the other odd €15 went... I got an email receipt from the taxi driver for €10.65. I read on their website that Hailo will never charge you more than whats on the meter, so I am really bamboozled as to why they extracted €20 from my account!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

i got the hailo taxi app earlier in the week after seeing this thread and I got my €5 credit (even though they took €1 from my account).

I used the app on Tuesday night coming home from work and my fare was €10.65, I got my fiver off and opted to pay the rest by card. However, my card was charged €20 on this occasion. Could anybody explain why to me please why this happened? There is no evidence of any credit balance on my account and I cannot find any evidence of where the other odd €15 went... I got an email receipt from the taxi driver for €10.65. I read on their website that Hailo will never charge you more than whats on the meter, so I am really bamboozled as to why they extracted €20 from my account!

Did you contact Hailo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

yes i did, i sent an email via their support page on their website- waiting to hear back- just wondering if anybody else has been overcharged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

kmepll wrote: »
    You get charged a booking fee because you are booking a taxi ,Ifs its by phone or online its still a booking the app is handy as you know where your taxi is and who the driver is.
    Use it for my daughter as i registered my creditcard on her account so i know she can always avail of a taxi and not be stuck for money so it peace of mind for me

You gave her your credit card...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HailoDublin

Hi guys,

Sorry for any inconvenience caused here, to explain:

Hailo will never take payments from any passenger's account that exceed the value of the fare they were charged by the driver.

The process that our merchant services provider (the company that processes all card payments for Hailo) follows when a customer registers a card, or pays a fare by card, involves pre-authorising the card for €1 and subsequently €20 for each journey taken. We don't actually take a €1 payment and the pre-authorisation should expire very quickly. Unfortunately this is the only way that we have of ensuring that a card is valid.

When a customer books a cab and selects card payment our merchant provider's automated system puts through a pre-authorisation to the value of €20. This simply guarantees that the passenger has funds to settle the fare or at least a portion of it. The bank effectively 'blocks' this sum of money until the driver takes payment at the destination. The system processes the payment based on the fare applied using the pre-authorisation previously processed. The pre-authorisation is automatically cancelled at this point and the meter fare is fully processed within minutes of you reaching your destination.

If you rent a car or stay in a hotel it works exactly the same way. What appears to be happening in your case is that your bank has not settled the transactions at their end and for some strange reason lists it on your statement as if we actually now have the funds. I assure you that we have only processed the meter fare amount.

Any further questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch via PM and we will follow up. Alternatively, you can also get us at the following:

Twitter: @HailoDublin
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HailoDublin
    Email: dublin.bsupport@hailocab.com

Rob C @ Hailo (Community Manager)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Rob,

Thanks for posting on Bargain Alerts.

Please contact reps@boards.ie to set up yourself as a Verified Rep before posting again though please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HailoDublin

Hi there,

Will do of course,

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Ive setup Hailo but I'm afraid to play around with it incase I accidently order a taxi. I just want to know, once you hit 'Pick Me Up Here' , does it automatically order the nearest taxi or are there more options behind that button such as what taxi you actually want within the area..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Murky Waters

Tiesto wrote: »
    Ive setup Hailo but I'm afraid to play around with it incase I accidently order a taxi. I just want to know, once you hit 'Pick Me Up Here' , does it automatically order the nearest taxi or are there more options behind that button such as what taxi you actually want within the area..
    Don't worry - you get the option to confirm & select your payment method, though I can't see any option to choose a particular taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I see now thanks.
    Could be worth being able to pick the taxi.
    depending on traffic, one way systems ... the taxi closest on the map may not get to you the quickest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Hi guys,

Sorry for any inconvenience caused here, to explain:

Hailo will never take payments from any passenger's account that exceed the value of the fare they were charged by the driver.

The process that our merchant services provider (the company that processes all card payments for Hailo) follows when a customer registers a card, or pays a fare by card, involves pre-authorising the card for €1 and subsequently €20 for each journey taken. We don't actually take a €1 payment and the pre-authorisation should expire very quickly. Unfortunately this is the only way that we have of ensuring that a card is valid.

When a customer books a cab and selects card payment our merchant provider's automated system puts through a pre-authorisation to the value of €20. This simply guarantees that the passenger has funds to settle the fare or at least a portion of it. The bank effectively 'blocks' this sum of money until the driver takes payment at the destination. The system processes the payment based on the fare applied using the pre-authorisation previously processed. The pre-authorisation is automatically cancelled at this point and the meter fare is fully processed within minutes of you reaching your destination.

If you rent a car or stay in a hotel it works exactly the same way. What appears to be happening in your case is that your bank has not settled the transactions at their end and for some strange reason lists it on your statement as if we actually now have the funds. I assure you that we have only processed the meter fare amount.

Any further questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch via PM and we will follow up. Alternatively, you can also get us at the following:

Twitter: @HailoDublin
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HailoDublin
    Email: dublin.bsupport@hailocab.com

Rob C @ Hailo (Community Manager)

Hi, can you explain the 20 eur preauthorization rule littlebit better. For most banks the preauthorization is on account for several days when its placed.

This came as surprise to me, i dont think it was mentioned when i entered my CC details to Hailo app.

This means that 20 eur is unavailable for several days for account holder. Or has Hailo fixed this someother way, releasing the 20 eur after taxijourney is completed etc?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

Is Winicabs not a superior app ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Most banks take at least 5 days to return pre authorizations in my experience.

If they do this everytime I fear that it would totally put off 90% of customers especially if it is not mentioned in the app!

Shouldn't do a pre authorization at all to be honest, i mean I don't have to hand a taxi driver 20 euro when i get into the cab to prove I have cash on me do I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I use this app all the time and find it great. I mainly use it for early morning airport runs. I just hit the button when I am ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

@Limericks, have similar experience with my bank, pre-auth takes too long. Suggested to Hailocab CS they should really establish trust levels for their customers, otherwise will remain a great business idea with poor implementation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Even if the pre-auth was the minimum amount charged for a taxi, that would make the whole system more reasonable but 20e is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Kevin! wrote: »
    Even if the pre-auth was the minimum amount charged for a taxi, that would make the whole system more reasonable but 20e is a joke.

Yep used the app 4 times one weekend and it put my personal account into an overdraft with the temporary loss of €80 , took several days for this to be released back.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Money still blocked after 10 days. Would avoid using Hailo until they solve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

soirish wrote: »
    Money still blocked after 10 days. Would avoid using Hailo until they solve this.

Do you have AIB? I was told by Hailo, that AIB is handling the preauth. incorrectly, and they are working with the issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been using it successfully a good few times the last few weeks. No problems whatsoever. I suggest contacting them if u have problems they are very good at getting back to you. I chat to all the taxi drivers about it and they seem to like it too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That is a bit crap, especially when you get charged 10e for going into overdraft...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zippy1991

This is happening me everytime I am using them.

I have taken 4 taxi journeys with them since last weekend.

Total of circa €35.

Now the €35 has come out of my account but there is also €80 (€20x4) in my pending transactions.

I know I will get this back but I am currently without use of €115 of my money over €35 of taxi journeys. This is a major problem for them. I have been on but they just keep giving me "It's AIB's issue, it's the very same if you stay in a hotel or hire a car" It's not!!! I get my money back instantly in those situations.

MAJOR ISSUE WITH THE SERVICE

Indeed , I will not be using the service again until this is sorted out.

Zippy1991 wrote: »
    This is happening me everytime I am using them.

I have taken 4 taxi journeys with them since last weekend.

Total of circa €35.

Now the €35 has come out of my account but there is also €80 (€20x4) in my pending transactions.

I know I will get this back but I am currently without use of €115 of my money over €35 of taxi journeys. This is a major problem for them. I have been on but they just keep giving me "It's AIB's issue, it's the very same if you stay in a hotel or hire a car" It's not!!! I get my money back instantly in those situations.

MAJOR ISSUE WITH THE SERVICE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Leeroy!

Just pay cash and still use the service to get taxis faster than any phone number.
    It's a great app and will change the way people order taxis forever, keep using it and just pay cash if you can?
    Much better than the 202020 crowd always a delay in waiting times and never as quick ad Hailo. IMO of course :)

Right...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

New 5 euro off code - daft

Absolutely brilliant system by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

New 5 euro off code - daft

Absolutely brilliant system by the way.

Works a charm...fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭bee_dix

Hi all just got this code today. WDPKX great service. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

bee_dix wrote: »
    Hi all just got this code today. WDPKX great service. :)

When does one use this guys? Just when you register or are about to pay?

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

madmoe wrote: »
    When does one use this guys? Just when you register or are about to pay?

Thanks,
    M

You put it in the app. It automatically applies it at the end of your journey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Just added the "daft" code there now and its still working. €5 off next payment by card

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Hey guys any current promo codes for Hailo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bob The Nero

€5 off your first HAILO journey when you choose to pay by card,
    use code MCTGV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

€10 off use code Galway01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

blahblah06 wrote: »
    €10 off use code Galway01

doesn't work for me :(

That's a pity. Has worked for me and my partner. What error are you getting

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Doesn't work for me either. It says that I have already used the code but that is not true.

blahblah06 wrote: »
    That's a pity. Has worked for me and my partner. What error are you getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Think you can only have one credit loaded at one time.
    You have to use it first before you load another one
    Open to correction on this though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

pclive wrote: »
    Think you can only have one credit loaded at one time.
    You have to use it first before you load another one
    Open to correction on this though

Yeah, I'm wondering if I just lost my Galway01 €10 credit by adding a few more that I found here. It not only shows €5 off the next fare. I was hoping they were cumulative. I can't put in Galway01 code again as it says I've used it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Heres a new one WFUNM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

All the new codes tell me I've already used them.
    Used 2 codes previously and now it seems no others are allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bob The Nero

All the new codes tell me I've already used them.
    Used 2 codes previously and now it seems no others are allowed?

as far as I'm aware you can only use the discount codes once for any particular card, so if you've already availed of the offer no code will work again for that card,you could always use another card if you have one. I could be wrong though seeing as you used two codes, maybe somebody else could clarify this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

as far as I'm aware you can only use the discount codes once for any particular card, so if you've already availed of the offer no code will work again for that card,you could always use another card if you have one. I could be wrong though seeing as you used two codes, maybe somebody else could clarify this.

I had managed to use three codes previously, but I can't add any new codes now, not even the ones for new cities like Cork. So it seems they have tightened up on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭CD8ED

€5 off hailo with the code:
    ARTHURS13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

€5 off hailo with the code

CORKJAZZ13
    Expires @ midnight Oct 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vic_dublin

Code:CWBJT

5 euro off.

Only if never used hailo before and yiu forgot to mention the €5 you get as a bonus for the customers that use it

vic_dublin wrote: »
    Code:CWBJT

5 euro off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement