Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tins of .22 ammo

Options
  • 05-10-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I remember seeing tins of .22 ammo before but any of the dealers i ask now say they dont sell it:(
    Think there was a thousand in the tin
    Anyone know of some?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Lapua Standard club 500's?

http://www.lasc.us/RS14-3-22Ammo-1-9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

If it's the SK Magazine .22 (aka Bucket O' Lapua) that you're thinking of:

SKMagazine22.jpg

it comes in tins of 500 and you should be able to get it around the place (in either Stakelums or Intershoot - AFAIK they both stock it).

It's grand stuff - Don't expect massive accuracy - but for plinking and general practice/trigger time it's more than adequate. Cheap too! Should be around the €50 - 55 per 500. My CZ452 happens to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I think they were federal
    Do you knwo where sells the lapua? ANd how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

I use the federal value pack, 500 rds for about €23/24, i find em grand for plinking and the odd bit of hunting I do

AFAIK the SK Magazine is the same ammunition as the Lapua Standard Club. SK is now part of the Lapua / Nammo Group and the ammunition which was marketed as Lapua Standard Club is now marketed as SK Magazine (Although I'm, as ever, open to correction on that).

Lapua are no longer manufacturing the Standard Club under their own brand, but continue to do so under the SK brand.

So, whilst you may be able to find some stocks of the Lapua kicking around in a few storerooms, it's the SK fodder which has replaced that and as posted above:
    it comes in tins of 500 and you should be able to get it around the place (in either Stakelums or Intershoot - AFAIK they both stock it).

It's grand stuff - Don't expect massive accuracy - but for plinking and general practice/trigger time it's more than adequate. Cheap too! Should be around the €50 - 55 per 500.

Hope that's of some help!

• Advertisement

500 rds for about €23/24

f**k me, that's cheap as chimps!
    Where are you getting that ammo?

dCorbus wrote: »
    f**k me, that's cheap as chimps!
    Where are you getting that ammo?

Sorry its actually a 525 rd box. In cork, Murrays, there spot on

What's the Federal value stuff like?

As I said I only really do abit of target stuff and Ive never found any major problem, once zeroed they suit me fine, Im not into it as serious as some people on here so maybe they might notice more than me.

I could put a few rounds in an area the size of a 5c coin at 80-90 yards without any deviation form the rounds.

I noticed tho, this maybe just me, that I could get better accuracy with a dirty barrel after I put a few through it first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I know one dealer that used to have it but not anymore as not enough lads had 500 on their license to make it worth his while stocking it.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

In one particular Anschutz Match 54 based benchrest rifle I know of, the Lapua Club/SK Magazine works surprisingly well; well on a par with much more expensive offerings, and only bested by a small select group of the very best stuff.

I like it a lot.

It IS a bit greasy though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Rovi wrote: »

Ain't that the truth - good round though.

B'man

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Sorry its actually a 525 rd box. In cork, Murrays, there spot on

Ya got a box for around that in Duffy's in Galway also. Great value for plinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bananaman wrote: »
    Ain't that the truth - good round though.

B'man
    If you have the patience, save some ammo boxes (the CCI standard 100 boxes are very useful for this) and decant the tin into them, wiping any excess grease off as you go.

The other benefit of this exercise is that you can prevent rounds getting damaged when the tin starts to empty and you can check for damage as you go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rovi wrote: »
    Isn't all Lapua stuff greasy? I have a few boxes of Super Club knocking around and they all have a thick layer of greasy wax on the bullet.
    Grit would stick to it well, and end up down your barrel.
    I have a box of the Federal stuff, I haven't put any downrange yet to see if the my Annie likes it.
    If you could get a big bucket or box of subs....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 100ydchicken

The Federal bulk pack I have been using for almost 20 years now, we can get them at Walmarts here. It used to be about US 9.00 a pack (about 13 Euros) and have slowly risen to about 25 dollars by now if you can find them, but it is great stuff for plinking. I used it consistently for 100 yds bullseye style practice on a palm size metal chicken with my Beretta 75 Jaguar.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

The Federal bulk pack I have been using for almost 20 years now, we can get them at Walmarts here. It used to be about US 9.00 a pack (about 13 Euros) and have slowly risen to about 25 dollars by now if you can find them, but it is great stuff for plinking. I used it consistently for 100 yds bullseye style practice on a palm size metal chicken with my Beretta 75 Jaguar.

The Federal Pack 525 is €34.99 in Sportsden, here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

rsole1 wrote: »
    The Federal Pack 525 is €34.99 in Sportsden, here in Ireland.

Shop arounnd and you will get CCI for the same price/Possibly cheaper, Much more consistant ammo!!!

Yes, I absolutely agree with the consistency of CCI's .22. For years I was shooting their Mini-mags series until it got too expensive, then I went onto their Blazer bulk pack with the lead bullet instead of the copper jacket that I was used to with the mini-mags, but at about 20-25% savings. At that point, I was shooting at least 1-2 bricks a week,
    so cost was important to me in a long run. When the CCI got too expensive, I moved onto the Federal bulk pack. Now a days, with the ammo shortage situation here in the US, it has become next to impossible to find any CCI nor Federal in the retail stores. Needless to say, I no longer burn up bricks of it at a time. During the cheap old days, I did a lot of side by side comparison and CCI always comes out ahead of the other major brands, especially in reliability. In a typical 500 rds brick of mini-mags, 1 or 2 misfire is their maximum, while Remingtons and Winchesters would not even come close to this kind of performance, but Federal is not bad at all, even their economical bulk pack. These test were performed over a wide varieties of handguns, such as SW model 41, Browning buckmark series, older Colt Woodsman, Beretta 70's series SA, Ruger Mk II, etc.....
    I did not use my higher end .22's such as the 208's or Walther's and Pardini's due to their limits with standard velocity only. It has gotten to a point where I am happy to get a hold of a brick of Thunderbolts!

34.99 Euros comes out roughly to almost $50 dollars, which is about what they are running in the 'black market' here.
    Sad to say, the cheap $10 a brick days are long gone and probably will never return again. Sort of like gasoline prices, once it goes up, it is almost impossible to come back down again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement