Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite:dangerous

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

gugleguy wrote: »
    correct me if 'm wrong but elite 4 will need 16 GB RAM TO play comfortably on your motherboard?

It won't. No game needs 16gb or RAM, and won't for a long while. I suppose it;s possible that at ultra max settings they'll recommend 16gb, but i'd seriously doubt it.

Game looks amazing though, and i'll definitely want to try it in the Oculus Rift.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've spent the last hour or so (amazing how time flies on YouTube!) watching the vids from the guy I linked above and I think as good as this looks so far, it's really going to be up against Star Citizen

Check out the vids he does of the hanger module.. absolutely fantastic stuff! :eek:

Will Elite have anything like this? It'll need it I think, but I'll likely pick it up anyway if it turns out anything like the Alpha vids - assuming I can afford what looks to be monster PC hardware requirements by then!

People are starting to grumble about the price and number of packs in sc. Delaying the dogfighting but releasing another ship rubbed some people the wrong way.

Im starting to see a trend with these kickstarters. Im waiting for something I can sink my teeth into before I buy anything. It pretty clear they dont need more money. I can dogfight in War Thunder for free now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I'm curious about this, but it's always seemed to me that a modern Elite would need a tripleA budget to really do justice to the concept, and hence we didn't have one. A bit like talking about doing Shenmue 3 on kickstarter, doesn't seem like you could raise enough to really do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Kiith wrote: »
    Game looks amazing though, and i'll definitely want to try it in the Oculus Rift.

I wonder will the OR work well with this? Frontier elite 2 dogfights didnt involve circle strafing and you had to have good spatial awareness as your ship didnt immediately go where you pointed it. I reckon it could cause some major mausea if they stick to newtonian flight mechanics like in Frontier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I wonder will the OR work well with this? Frontier elite 2 dogfights didnt involve circle strafing and you had to have good spatial awareness as your ship didnt immediately go where you pointed it. I reckon it could cause some major mausea if they stick to newtonian flight mechanics like in Frontier.
    Early reports have been pretty good with regards to using Rift with it. I'm not 100% sure, but from the footage I've seen it seems that they have a watered down version of the flight mechanics of the old games, which to be honest I'm happy about as I was crap at dogfights before! :D

• Advertisement

PcGamer did an article recently where they played it with OR. Apparently, it's absolutely fantastic with it. I do hope they add some newtonian physics to it, or at least allow for Babylon 5 style dogfights (i.e. flying one way, shooting another).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/25/elite-dangerous-with-the-oculus-rift-video-impressions/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Radiosonde wrote: »
    I'm curious about this, but it's always seemed to me that a modern Elite would need a tripleA budget to really do justice to the concept, and hence we didn't have one. A bit like talking about doing Shenmue 3 on kickstarter, doesn't seem like you could raise enough to really do it properly.

I think Braben said the network tech wasn't sophisticated enough to make Elite 4 until recently. I think it's been cancelled more than once over the years.

I think Newtonion physics won't work in Elite 4 because it's geared towards multiplayer. It would be too dificult to find and engage other players if you are flying at hundreds of kilometres per second.

Great, sounds like it will be fun although I can't see it standing out as much from other games like Frontier elite 2 did back on the Amiga. I was an early backer of this on Kickstarter, I got the basic £30 and assumed that I could pay the extra £20 now to upgrade to get access to the beta (I'm not paying the silly money for the alpha access). Unfortunately, it looks like I can't upgrade and would have to pay another £50 for access to the beta, bit sucky if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

PcGamer did an article recently where they played it with OR. Apparently, it's absolutely fantastic with it. I do hope they add some newtonian physics to it, or at least allow for Babylon 5 style dogfights (i.e. flying one way, shooting another).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/25/elite-dangerous-with-the-oculus-rift-video-impressions/
    The awesomely named Scott Manley has a video of the latest alpha that shows that you can face other directions while flying.

I think Newtonion physics won't work in Elite 4 because it's geared towards multiplayer. It would be too dificult to find and engage other players if you are flying at hundreds of kilometres per second.

Yeah, i agree about the speeds mechanics, but i hope they use a semi-newtonian model, so they can include strafing runs.

• Advertisement

I read somewhere that whilst you can strafe it will be throttled and players will be encouraged to barrel role to get the most out of the ships in combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

The ships behave as if in an atmosphere due to a "flight assist" system, and there's a speed limit for each ship. Flight assist can be switched off to allow Newtonian style motion (though the speed limit is still in place).

There's even a video of one pilot lining up his docking with the space station at long range, moving up to 300m/s, toggling off flight assist and flipping the ship to dock blind and backwards:

That's exactly what i was thinking. I love being able to strafe past an enemy destroyer while firing at it. Much more fun (and effective) than having to fly straight at it.

That's exactly what i was thinking. I love being able to strafe past an enemy destroyer while firing at it. Much more fun (and effective) than having to fly straight at it.

By all accounts it makes for some deadly manoeuvres, though with increased risk of crashing into stuff you didn't notice. I'd guess the fancy docking video was one successful take from a number which mostly resulted in the sidewinder pancaking against the dock wall.

I'll hopefully be playing it on the Rift, so a quick look over my shoulder will easily tell me if something is coming my way.

I may never leave the game if it's as immersive as PcGamer say it is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

A Rift combined with a HOTAS stick / throttle combo is definitely the way to go for this. I've been playing Alpha on a gamepad and it's not bad at all, though I think I'll look into a stick when it hits Gamma.

I'll hopefully be playing it on the Rift, so a quick look over my shoulder will easily tell me if something is coming my way.
    Wing mirrors would be cheaper :)

Branoic wrote: »
    A Rift combined with a HOTAS stick / throttle combo is definitely the way to go for this. I've been playing Alpha on a gamepad and it's not bad at all, though I think I'll look into a stick when it hits Gamma.

You bootstrapping on your Mac?

You bootstrapping on your Mac?

Nope, my Mac model's a little dated. Nice new shiny peecee :-)

Frontier Announces Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta
    http://www.frontier.co.uk/news/latest/?artid=416&pageNum=0&blk=12

• Advertisement

I just upgraded from a Kickstarter pledge to premium beta. Was shocked at the cost but I'm really looking for something new to play and it does give you access to all the expansions. Looking forward to trying this with the rift too

Weird story about Braben buying a IT consultancy firm to regain the rights to Elite. He is also going to sell up to 1.6 million shares of his company Frontier Developments.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/braben-to-sell-up-to-1-6m-shares-in-frontier/0191897

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There is a gameplay video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK0U9L086yU

Seems like Elite is more of a space simulator and Star Citizen will be more straight forward dogfighting with less emphasis on ship controls. I haven't decided which one I like the sound of better yet.

Interesting update here: http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=cfcdbae60e

Some seriously nerdy tech being used :)

I know comparisons can't be helped but I'm so much more excited about Elite than Star Citizen. Star Citizen may be cool, but I think people have lost their heads a bit buying ships and whatnot without actually playing the game proper. The depth of the Elite FAQ convinced me that this will be the superior game. It's just got so more depth and scope, and already looks like it plays brilliant. Even the system specs are quite modest, but when you think about it Elite has always been technically accomplished and streamlined. Having said that, the Alpha and Beta access is pricey but I believe one can pre order the release of Elite for 40 Euro, which sounds vary reasonable. I think being able to buy DLC is preferable to paying a subscription in the long run and Braben said somewhere he wants to work on Elite 4 long term rather than more sequels which is great, and I'm sure DLC will be reasonably priced. This is the first PC game I've been really excited about in quite a while, and after looking on the Frontier Developments website frequently for over ten years I still find it hard to believe it is really finally going to happen.

Advertisement