Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Refinishing patch on stock

Options
  • 04-12-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭

Been a while since I've posted on here.
    I had to take a sticker off a stock and it did a bit of damage, I had to steam some of the remainder off too.
    Is there any easy way of telling what finish is on a stock so I can get the right stuff to fix the damaged patch?
    I don't have a good eye for these things.
    On the off chance anyone knows, it's a 1940s SVT-40.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

An SVT 40... There wasn't much concern about asthetics or fancy woodwork,not to mind quality wood on those in the first place.:D
    Folks have reported ALL kinds of wood being used for Russian stocks and the most common seems to be a "pine" like wood.Is it a laquer based finish??Some were or oil based??Might be just best off stripping off the finish to bare wood,refinish and stain if it is a very light wood and re laquer ??

How does it shoot
    BTW??Would be intrested in one of those as a classic rifle.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

The Russian guns were reasonably well finished, and then give a single dip-coat of what we would now call copal varnish. It's thick/glutinous, yellowy - as you can see where it has run - and done with very little thought [if any] for aesthetics.

You can dip, spray it, or put it on with a fence-post brush - the results will look the same. An finer finish will look just wrong.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm not sure what the coating is, but it's not the thick varnish you get on the arsenal refinish jobs. The sticker took a fair bit off and the steam left a bit of a dull haze on it. I would have thought the seller would use a tag on the trigger guard over a sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Vegeta wrote: »

Shellac is an easy fix - but remembe that there just might be a stain underneath it. Depending on what the stain is, shellac should adhere just fine. The shellac should be fresh and "cut" to a thinner consistency. It should be applied in thinner coats. Allow to dry well before adding another. About the only way to botch up a shellac finish is to apply it too thick or use an old mix.

Lots of light coats using a china bristle brush (not nearly as expensive as it sounds), but it's nice to have denatured alcohol on hand to clean the brush.

You can do maybe 2-3 coats a day, although best with one or two. A run or two isn't the end of the world, you can partly sand them off the rest can be fixed when applying the next coat, they sort of meld into each other.

I like to lightly sand between coats 300 grit or so will do it (240-400..whatever), then after the last coat is totally dry buff it with 000 steel wool for a truly great finish. Bronze wool, if you can get it, is even better, as the minute particles left behind from steel wool can turn an unsightly black, leaving smears in the finish.

For the first time I would do one coat, let dry overnight, lightly sand, then wipe with clean rag (or you will see the white from sanding) then repeat to 5-6 total coats. Then hit it with the steel wool and see where you are at...if not happy, sand lightly then another coat, steel wool and decide again. I like 6-8 total coats although you can just do 4-5 if you like and just stop when you feel happy...or are sick of doing it.

As to the shellac, the pre-mix stuff they sell at hardware stores is actually pretty decent, amber is probably the color you want.

But shellac has a pretty strict shelf life of about a year once mixed, so don't use up some old can that was sitting on a store back shelf for years. The stuff I have has a sell-by date on it - trust it, or risk getting a really 'flaky finish' in more ways than one.

As said, it's not the most water protective finish, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. You might get some white [that's the 'haze' you noticed] if you let water really sit on it (I wouldn't use the stuff for a coffee table), but even if you do you can often rub that out with steel wool or do another light sand and a fresh coat.

Some people like to add a wax over it, I've heard of a number of people using the ooo steel wool to apply the wax...never tried it myself.

Other people like to pad it on rather than brush, personally I think that's better for large flat surfaces and much more likely to end with serious splotches....at least when I do it.

Avoid the newer foam brush, trust me on the china bristle brush, any hardware store should have them pretty cheap.

I probably made it sound way more difficult than it really is, it's pretty much forgiving as a finish and usually turns out really well.

The trick is to make it look as bad as the original finish. ;)

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BTW ,apprently the wood used in these can be Siberian spruce,not a very tough wood either,but the intresting thing is some of the "Zebra pattern" in some stocks is because they were made from burnt wood!! Whether by accident or design I've no idea.

Got to handle one today[1941 issue],and although it is a long gangly yoke,I was surprised how well it swung and pointed and most of all even compared to some of our more modern guns how light it is!!:) Wonder does that translate into OUCH on the other end of the barrel when this is fired? As the stock is the typical "one size fits all Comrades" Soviet design[IOW ideal for somone with very short arms.:p]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

The muzzle-brake helps to tame the somewhat enthusiastic Soviet military surplus ammunition, but it's not a holiday, for sure.

PPU ammunition is softer, and shoots like a shower head in my cousin's 1943-made gun. The real deal steel-cased stuff is better, in fact, it's down to about 2-3" at 100m.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

kowloon wrote: »
    Been a while since I've posted on here.
    I had to take a sticker off a stock and it did a bit of damage, I had to steam some of the remainder off too.
    Is there any easy way of telling what finish is on a stock so I can get the right stuff to fix the damaged patch?
    I don't have a good eye for these things.
    On the off chance anyone knows, it's a 1940s SVT-40.

kowloon,

To test for shellac, use denatured alcohol or wood alcohol.
    Touch a small spot of the damaged finish with a cotton ball or piece of old t-shirt wetted with alcohol and see if it disolves the existing finish.
    I'd bet it does. Most of the older factory finishes were nothing but shellac. Usually orange shellac.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I am surprised shellac was used by the russians, the m1 garands were finished by being dunked into barrels of linseed oil and passed through a machine which blew hot air on them as they moved along. The lee enfields were probably much the same. But i suppose you want a genuine finish.

Yeah, I was surprised by how light the thing was. It's for display, so I want the finish to be authentic. It probably is shellac, so I'll test it and try and get my hands on the right stuff to repair the hazed patch.
    I have an arsenal refinished Mosin Nagant 1891/30 to compare to and it has that nasty varnish that feels very glossy compared to the matte coating on the SVT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

kowloon & ROWA,

I agree on the use of Linseed Oil or some mixture of pine tar/beeswax and turpentine on stocks for the standing army before the war ..... but by 1941 it was all about numbers.

The Finns used a pine tar/beeswax and turpentine stock concoction on their birch rifle stocks.

BTW FYI Arctic Birch is one of the stabilest moisture free woods you can use for a rifle stock or knife handle.

Remembered this thread, thought I'd throw up a shot of the finished article. It's been sitting for a while now and you can't tell the refinished patch from the rest, it blended in, you need to look quite closely. Thanks for the help!

303348.jpg

Advertisement