Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone fibre other router as an extender?

Options
  • 02-09-2015 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I recently got vodafone fibre power broadband.
    I'm using the vodafone supplied modem and router the Huawei router not sure of the model.
    Anyway I have a Belkin adsl modem and router which is kinda no good to me now as it can't be used as a modem with fibre broadband.
    I was wondering is there any way I could use it as a wireless extender to boost the wifi signal around my house?
    It's an F5D8636-4 v1.
    Could I wirelessly extend it via the power of wifi rather than have a long adsl cable going from the modem to the router?
    Or
    Is it possible at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I recently got vodafone fibre power broadband.
    I'm using the vodafone supplied modem and router the Huawei router not sure of the model.
    Anyway I have a Belkin adsl modem and router which is kinda no good to me now as it can't be used as a modem with fibre broadband.
    I was wondering is there any way I could use it as a wireless extender to boost the wifi signal around my house?
    It's an F5D8636-4 v1.
    Could I wirelessly extend it via the power of wifi rather than have a long adsl cable going from the modem to the router?
    Or
    Is it possible at all?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

No but you could use it as another access point with a separate wireless network (not extending the current).

Skip the ADSL modem setup, just leave it blank, give the router a fixed IP out of the range of the DHCP server on the vodafone fiber and then turn off UPnP on the Belkin. Set up your second wireless network then plug it in via ethernet (direct cable or via homeplugs ethernet over power lines) and you will have a second WiFi network.

However unless you have homeplugs spare it's a waste of money as you could buy a WiFi extender instead.

Advertisement