Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to connect to wireless connection

Options
  • 28-07-2015 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, first off I'm not sure if this is in the right place so apologies if not. I'm having problems sourcing a connection problem with my parent's laptop at home and I have searched nearly every forum online for help to no avail, I am a bit stumped here (my IT skills aren't spectacular to be honest, but I am the most clued up in the family).

Anyway, the laptop is a Medion E6239 and about two months old or so. They have had no problems with it up until about a week ago when it would not connect to the internet. It says there are no connections found or some such but I've tried my laptop, their old laptop and various phones here and they all have no problems connecting.

I tried connecting via an ethernet from the router and it works fine like this. But I just can't figure out why it will not connect wireless.

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi, first off I'm not sure if this is in the right place so apologies if not. I'm having problems sourcing a connection problem with my parent's laptop at home and I have searched nearly every forum online for help to no avail, I am a bit stumped here (my IT skills aren't spectacular to be honest, but I am the most clued up in the family).

Anyway, the laptop is a Medion E6239 and about two months old or so. They have had no problems with it up until about a week ago when it would not connect to the internet. It says there are no connections found or some such but I've tried my laptop, their old laptop and various phones here and they all have no problems connecting.

I tried connecting via an ethernet from the router and it works fine like this. But I just can't figure out why it will not connect wireless.

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here.

Many thanks

Make sure the wireless is switched on.

Some have a switch at bottom or a f key to activate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Make sure the wireless is switched on.

Some have a switch at bottom or a f key to activate.

Unless I am missing something there is no switch anywhere, or F key.

Do have a wifi light on near the caps on, power lights etc..

Is the firewall active? may be a virus or a fault.

Have you tried going into start and control panel and make sure correct address for internet home page.

Is the firewall active? may be a virus or a fault.

Have you tried going into start and control panel and make sure correct address for internet home page.

Firewall is connected.

Its just using "default" internet homepage I checked

Was any programme installed ?

Do a clean up on c drive and have a look for any dodgy programmes.

• Advertisement

Firewall is connected.

Its just using "default" internet homepage I checked

Default like google or similar?

Was any programme installed ?

Do a clean up on c drive and have a look for any dodgy programmes.
    Default like google or similar?

Nothing on a c drive clean up. The laptop is pretty much as it left the shop bar Skype which was downloaded the day they got it.

Also re. the internet home page, this is "default" :confused:

Nothing on a c drive clean up. The laptop is pretty much as it left the shop bar Skype which was downloaded the day they got it.

Also re. the internet home page, this is "default" :confused:

try a different one... add the full http and name so google and test that out also is it possible the ip is conflicting with another device phone or other using wireless/wifi.

try a different one... add the full http and name so google and test that out also is it possible the ip is conflicting with another device phone or other using wireless/wifi.

Tried exactly that (using google) to no avail.

We have never had a problem in the past with ip conflicting, and there haven't been any new devices connected in a while..

Lastly, before I pay someone to have a look at it, these might be totally useless, but this is what I get trying to find the connection

I haven't a fecking clue...

Can you connect/disconnect and also reboot/on..off the router.

Give all that a go.

Otherwise may be another fault.

• Advertisement

Can you connect/disconnect and also reboot/on..off the router.

Give all that a go.

Otherwise may be another fault.

I tried that earlier today...bloody nothing :(

I think I'll just give a professional a call tomorrow and have them look at it for my parents.

Thanks for your help though. Very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you tried telling Windows to "Forget" your wireless network and then rejoin ?
    Just Click on the Wireless symbol beside the clock, right-click the network and select "Forget This Network".
    Afterwards rejoin and enter the WPA Key, worth a try ? You could also try the Network Troubleshooter, Right-Click the WiFi symbol beside the clock and select Troubleshoot Problems.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Have you tried telling Windows to "Forget" your wireless network and then rejoin ?
    Just Click on the Wireless symbol beside the clock, right-click the network and select "Forget This Network".
    Afterwards rejoin and enter the WPA Key, worth a try ? You could also try the Network Troubleshooter, Right-Click the WiFi symbol beside the clock and select Troubleshoot Problems.

Ken

Problem is the wireless network can't be found in the first place. Tried network troubleshooter multiple times too

Thanks for the suggestions allthesame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Try opening a CMD prompt and enter ipconfig /all and see if the WiFi adapter is listed with an IP address. Also check Device Manager and see if the WiFi adapter is listed without any errors.

When you click the WiFi icon in the System Tray are there any networks listed ? Try turning a smartphone into a WiFi hotspot and see if it can find that, if so then join it and see if it reaches the internet.

Ken

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can you by any chance try connecting it to another wifi network? If you have an iphone you could create one yourself.

Also try fn+f2 - increasingly laptops have a flight mode (which disables wifi) which can be a bloody nuisance if accidentally turned on.

ZENER wrote: »
    Try opening a CMD prompt and enter ipconfig /all and see if the WiFi adapter is listed with an IP address. Also check Device Manager and see if the WiFi adapter is listed without any errors.

When you click the WiFi icon in the System Tray are there any networks listed ? Try turning a smartphone into a WiFi hotspot and see if it can find that, if so then join it and see if it reaches the internet.

Ken

Thank you!

I checked device manager and there was something disabled, just had to enable it and that was that!

Advertisement