Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi router issue

Options
  • 16-08-2015 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

My home internet service is from an aerial outside the house. It's connected directly to my laptop by a cat6 cable with an rj45 connection.

I got an old sky wifi router from a friend, the only trouble is it needs a telephone connection to feed in the internet and all I have is the rj45.

Is their any solutions like an adapter or something?
    Or will I just have to buy a router.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You will need to buy a router. The Sky box is a modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Buy a wireless access point, the receiver on your roof is most likely a router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Buy a wireless access point, the receiver on your roof is most likely a router.

Can you explain what that is or where to find one? Cheers.

Can you explain what that is or where to find one? Cheers.

Simply a wireless access point extends a wired network wirelessly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002YETVXC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1439828305&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=access+point&dpPl=1&dpID=41iztPNsx6L&ref=plSrch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi.

I have a UPC line into my attic office with a Ethernet cable into my main workstation and using Internet electricity points to feed the internet to downstairs sitting room Wi-Fi router for main daily use like phones etc.

Seeing as there is quite a large distance between the sitting room and the office space my actual Wi-Fi in the Attic is pretty poor.

I have a Chromecast setup in the Attic space but the signal strength is bad. I can plug in a small Wi-Fi router into my UPC connection just for use in the Attic.

Would you guys recommend a cheap and cheerful option for a second wireless router in my attic.

Thanks as always...

• Advertisement

sticker wrote: »
    Hi.

I have a UPC line into my attic office with a Ethernet cable into my main workstation and using Internet electricity points to feed the internet to downstairs sitting room Wi-Fi router for main daily use like phones etc.

Seeing as there is quite a large distance between the sitting room and the office space my actual Wi-Fi in the Attic is pretty poor.

I have a Chromecast setup in the Attic space but the signal strength is bad. I can plug in a small Wi-Fi router into my UPC connection just for use in the Attic.

Would you guys recommend a cheap and cheerful option for a second wireless router in my attic.

Thanks as always...

Get an access point like above. Either that or get the Ethernet adapter for the Chromecast

Get an access point like above. Either that or get the Ethernet adapter for the Chromecast

I'm not following you re: access point... The main UPC box is in the attic, but its obviously not wifi. I'd prefer to get a small wifi router to plug into one of the free ethernet ports of the UPC box so I can have good phone wifi also and also to extend rang of wifi a little to upstairs also.

I assume my phone can be signed into two wifi's in a house?

I'm just no familiar with what hardware I need

As a matter of interest, I don;t see a buy now option on the Chromecast Ethernet page.

https://store.google.com/product/_ethernet_adapter_for_chromecast

I'm not following you re: access point... The main UPC box is in the attic, but its obviously not wifi. I'd prefer to get a small wifi router to plug into one of the free ethernet ports of the UPC box so I can have good phone wifi also and also to extend rang of wifi a little to upstairs also.

I assume my phone can be signed into two wifi's in a house?

I'm just no familiar with what hardware I need

A router joins networks, you do not want to add a second creating a second network. You already have a router, it's your gateway to the internet, you do not want a second router or you'll be routing twice (the dreaded double NAT which will cause complications). You really only want one subnet and one router do all your devices see each other and can communicate on the same network.

A simple 5 port switch is what you need, a switch extends networks giving extra ports. You'll get a switch for about a tenner. Much like a switch an access point extends a wired network wirelessly.

Note: You can get routers that allow setting access point mode only, where in the settings you can disable all routing functions to act as a switch. If you get a router make sure it has this

As a matter of interest, I don;t see a buy now option on the Chromecast Ethernet page.

https://store.google.com/product/_ethernet_adapter_for_chromecast

Sorry, thought they were available here but not released yet, USA only. They $15 in States if you know someone post one home

• Advertisement

A router joins networks, you do not want to add a second creating a second network. You already have a router, it's your gateway to the internet, you do not want a second router or you'll be routing twice (the dreaded double NAT which will cause complications). You really only want one subnet and one router do all your devices see each other and can communicate on the same network.

A simple 5 port switch is what you need, a switch extends networks giving extra ports. You'll get a switch for about a tenner. Much like a switch an access point extends a wired network wirelessly.

Note: You can get routers that allow setting access point mode only, where in the settings you can disable all routing functions to act as a switch. If you get a router make sure it has this

Maybe I'm confused. I am looking for a new wifi box in the attic - not a new modem. Is this what you mean?

Can I not buy a wifi only router to add to the UPC box and have a newl wifi signal in the attic?

Maybe I'm confused. I am looking for a new wifi box in the attic - not a new modem. Is this what you mean?

Can I not buy a wifi only router to add to the UPC box and have a newl wifi signal in the attic?

Read what I said, you want to stop it routing as your UPC modem (also a router) is already routing

So I connect this to my upc modem and will create a new wifi point?

So I connect this to my upc modem and will create a new wifi point?

Exactly, it extends your network.

Exactly, it extends your network.

That's just what I need then thanks!

If the current Belkin Wifi modem is plugged into the mains web TP link in the downstairs room, how would this new device plugged into the UPC box upstairs boost the wifi signal being generated by the Belkin Wifi downstairs?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be sure...

That's just what I need then thanks!

If the current Belkin Wifi modem is plugged into the mains web TP link in the downstairs room, how would this new device plugged into the UPC box upstairs boost the wifi signal being generated by the Belkin Wifi downstairs?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be sure...

It wouldn't unless the Belkin is set to access point mode, if the Belkin is a router and is routing it will be creating its own independent network and firewalling other networks. Anything connected to the network upstairs would be on a different network and unable to communicate directly. It's a huge advantage to have all your devices on the same network, besides being less complicated you will be able to file transfer and stream between devices anywhere in the house.

It wouldn't unless the Belkin is set to access point mode, if the Belkin is a router and is routing it will be creating its own independent network and firewalling other networks. Anything connected to the network upstairs would be on a different network and unable to communicate directly. It's a huge advantage to have all your devices on the same network, besides being less complicated you will be able to file transfer and stream between devices anywhere in the house.

I'm not sure.

The Belcan wifi router is this:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/modems-routers/belkin-play-router-n750.html

is simply plugged into a switch that is connected to the wall TP link

Which is in turn connected to the UPC modem in the attic by ethernet.

So my wifi just appears as belin19e

Thats about all I know - I'm unsure how to set it to access point.

So the belkin is good for downstairs use but upstairs I need the wifi boosted.

Get a unifi ap

I'm not sure.

The Belcan wifi router is this:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/modems-routers/belkin-play-router-n750.html

is simply plugged into a switch that is connected to the wall TP link

Which is in turn connected to the UPC modem in the attic by ethernet.

So my wifi just appears as belin19e

Thats about all I know - I'm unsure how to set it to access point.

So the belkin is good for downstairs use but upstairs I need the wifi boosted.

That is a router so you've a situation exactly like I described in my last post. You cannot extend this Wi-Fi upstairs, you can only extend the upstairs network. I would check the web interface to see does this Belkin have an access point mode, then anything connected to it would be on the upstairs network and you could simply add an access point to extend this.

NoDrama wrote: »
    Get a unifi ap
    Can you be more specific please. Googled it and a lot of variation and pricing.

• Advertisement

That is a router so you've a situation exactly like I described in my last post. You cannot extend this Wi-Fi upstairs, you can only extend the upstairs network. I would check the web interface to see does this Belkin have an access point mode, then anything connected to it would be on the upstairs network and you could simply add an access point to extend this.

I think this is above my ability to be honest! How do I see the Belkin web interface? I thought I could just add something simular that I have downstairs - the Belkin to the attic and problem solved - two wifi points, but wifi added to attic.

I think this is above my ability to be honest! How do I see the Belkin web interface? I thought I could just add something simular that I have downstairs - the Belkin to the attic and problem solved - two wifi points, but wifi added to attic.

Read the manual, there is a web interface for configuring it. What you've simply done is create a network which could be troublesome for some devices like consoles or applications like Skype that like to use universal plug and play to open ports, any port they open would be blocked by firewall on the second gateway router upstairs

You can just add a device, an access point, but you should also use this opportunity to change the setup you have to access point mode also. By letting you buy another router we would be letting you create a third independent network, an access point is what you need.

Read the manual, there is a web interface for configuring it. What you've simply done is create a network which could be troublesome for some devices like consoles or applications like Skype that like to use universal plug and play to open ports, any port they open would be blocked by firewall on the second gateway router upstairs

You can just add a device, an access point, but you should also use this opportunity to change the setup you have to access point mode also. By letting you buy another router we would be letting you create a third independent network, an access point is what you need.

OK -thanks for all the help...

Advertisement