Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Infraction

Options
  • 04-11-2015 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

I received an infraction from Evil Phil on the Development forum.

The mod did not reply to my request for more information that I sent on the 9th October. I requested further information today and he replied saying.
    You broke the forum charter and received an infraction, it will disappear after aprox 4 weeks, but I'm not going to remove it.

He has not given any reason for the infraction or any information as to what part of the charter I broke. I would like the infraction removed from my profile.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello Vuzuggu.

The forum Charter of the Development forum can be found here.

The third last heading is "Web Hosting" and the thread that you started appears to be in violation of the rule(s) under this heading. The thread was soft deleted, and in the body of the PM that you received you were given a helpful link to an Irish website which compares Irish hosting companies at a glance.

The infraction you received for breaching the above rule(s) has expired, so there is nothing to contest. Infractions expire after 10 days, and unfortunately for you, you left it too late to address the issue.

-Shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Web Hosting
    1. Questions about specific web hosting companies or how to use their services aren't allowed.
    I did not ask any question about specific web hosting companies nor ask how to use their services so this bit is not applicable.
    2. Looking for recommendations or suggestions for a web host are also prohibited.
    I did not look for recommendations so the first bit is irrelevant. I did not look for suggestions or reccommendations. I clearly stated that we cannot discuss web hosts on boards and linked to a site that the OP could look at. I have nothing to do with this third party site. I never broke any part of the Charter.

If the Mod who issued the infraction replied to all PMs in a timely fashion this would have been sorted a long time ago. Please remove any traces of the infraction. I did not deserve it and it was clearly a mistake.

Edited to add:
    The thread was soft deleted, and in the body of the PM that you received you were given a helpful link to an Irish website which compares Irish hosting companies at a glance.

I was not given that link in the PM. The PM I received just stated I received a infraction. In fact, I think the link you are referring to are the link I offered to the OP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello again.

I think I may have confused your post with the PM that was sent. I do apologise for that.

There is no way available to me, or even to the site Administrators to remove the traces of the profile Infraction. That's something that would have to be done on a coding level directly with the software that runs the site, and is buried deep somewhere in over one million lines of code.

If it really did mean that much to you, I question the decision to wait from October 9th until today to follow it up. One would have expected to see evidence of the same sense of urgency you seem to be attaching to the issue now, but there is no such evidence.

I'm not going to lock this thread as it's not my place to do so, but I'm not going to post on this thread anymore either. You are free to add as much feedback as you wish below, but nothing you say will result in the details of the Infraction removed from your profile. Since there is nothing to appeal, I wouldn't advise that you anticipate a reply to any such feedback you may wish to add.

You should also note that the Infractions tab is only visible to you, and to Moderators, CMods, Admins and boards.ie staff members.

Again - my apologies for the earlier mistake.

-Shield.

How do I contact an admin/staff member. I would like my profile and all posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Shield, admins can remove historic infractions.

Op, if you want to continue the drp process, a Cmod will pop by. If you want to close your account, there's a link in your user cp. We don't delete posts when you close your account, though.

• Advertisement

So I was lied to by Shield then?

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    So I was lied to by Shield then?
    There's a big, big difference between being lied to, and being informed in error.

For a long time, us Moderators were told that Infractions could only be reversed. I was very surprised to learn that Admins could delete Infractions, and I can only apologise for giving you what I believed, at the time, to be correct information.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oh I thought you meant reversed, sorry :) my fault.

It is possible for an infraction to be 'reversed' which will remove any trace of the infraction from your profile from view by Mods/Cmods/Admins etc. Ie: if your infraction was reversed, and a Mod looked at your record, they wouldn't see the infraction in your profile.

However, this does not remove 'all traces' of it in the most literal form (not just from view). For example, when an infraction is created, a discussion thread is created. Plus, if a Mod requests an infraction reversal - they will create a post for an Admin to view and action. These don't get deleted when we reverse an infraction. But even deeper than that there will be a record in the database that still will show this infraction even though it's not visible to Mods/Cmods/Admins etc when we have reversed the infraction. I'm not sure exactly what format this is in, if it's simply a row in an infraction table, or more complexly a _removed_ row in your profile table which would _insinuate_ an infraction. No idea how vbulletin works, and it does indeed work in mysterious ways. This is where Shield is correct about the million lines of code comment.

So I guess it depends on what you mean by removing all traces of the infraction.

Advertisement