Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chapped Lips

Options
  • 09-01-2010 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.I walk to work every day and since the cold snap hit my poor lips have become increasingly chapped and sore.Ive tried using the vaseline aloe vera stuff but that only offers short term relief.Im looking for something that will not only sooth but also (hopefully) clear up and prevent it happening again.As always,suggestions welcomed from all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I got lip balm the other day shamefully, cycling to work and lips were cracked real bad. Just keep applying the stuff and stay in doors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Will wrote: »
    I got lip balm the other day shamefully, cycling to work and lips were cracked real bad. Just keep applying the stuff and stay in doors :D

Don't be one of THOSE guys. If your lips are chapped, there should be no shame in buying lip balm.

My lips are ALWAYS chapped, i use Carmax. You'll get it in the Chemist. Its a bit more expensive than most lip balms but it's very very effective.

(Tip, it's almost like wax, so heating it up first helps. I just hold mine in my hand for a while before i apply)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Any particular brand you can recommend William?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I just went to the chemist and asked for a neutral smelling lip balm :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Plain Chapstick is good or the blue Nivea lipbalm.
    Both are very neutral and easy on the wallet (about 2 euro each)
    Most pharmacies have them!

Also, just a tip : if your lips are already chapped / cracked, don't use Vaseline (petroleum) on them as it will just coat the problem, not solve it.
    Look for a balm with something like shea butter in it. That will condition your lips while soothing and healing them at the same time.

Oh, and don't be too "manly" for lipbalm.
    Chapped lips can be seriously painful and no one has to see you wearing it, if you're that self conscious! :P

EDIT: Carmex as suggested is also a good one! Bit more pricey (3.50/4 euro ish) but effective.

• Advertisement

Kula bula,off to the chemist with Neddy so,I and my lips say thanks folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye Boots do versions of chapstick (probably less than 2euro), there's nivea ones (range from 2/3 to 5ish), there's carmex that comes in a tube or a lil pot (around 3-5), I got a Burts Bees one recently actually as I get recurring splits in my lips that are uber deep and wanted to try something else, it's pretty good, but you have to like the smell (and possible taste) of a honey flavour.

Blistex do a cream for split lips, it stings but it is pretty darned good, they do a few ranges, again not cheap 3-5 at least. I use it when mine are really bad because it helps heal. So it might do no harm to get the original blistex stuff to keep for when it's bad and use a regular lipbalm inbetween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Don't be one of THOSE guys. If your lips are chapped, there should be no shame in buying lip balm.
    Agreed, I hate the way so many guys feel the need to qualify statements which might indicate them not fitting 100% into some stupid gender role with "shamefully", "embarassingly", "I'm not gay, I swear!!" etc.

It's like sexist jokes about women. Kinda funny in principle, but when you've heard them 10000000 times they cease to amuse and just serve to perpetuate gender stereotypes.

</rant>

On topic, I always find Vaseline does the trick. I must google to find out if what pikachucheeks says is true, but it just sounds like marketing speak to me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Aquaphor. It's really thick, so a little bit goes a looong way. You can also use it on your hands, so they don't crack. If you put it on your lips and/or hands in the morning, it will last several rounds of eating and hand-washing. It's like an all-purpose stronger version of Eucerin (and made by the same company).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

On topic, I always find Vaseline does the trick. I must google to find out if what pikachucheeks says is true, but it just sounds like marketing speak to me :pac:

Funnily enough, I'm interested in the marketing and advertising fields :P

I've just read that Vaseline isn't good for chapped lips. It doesn't have healing properties, per se. The petroleum just coats the lips (possibly preventing more damage being done, but not solving the initial issue.)

Using something like shea butter (very conditioning) is said to be much better.

• Advertisement

Agreed, I hate the way so many guys feel the need to qualify statements which might indicate them not fitting 100% into some stupid gender role with "shamefully", "embarassingly", "I'm not gay, I swear!!" etc.

It's like sexist jokes about women. Kinda funny in principle, but when you've heard them 10000000 times they cease to amuse and just serve to perpetuate gender stereotypes.

</rant>

I was in college one day and pulled out my Carmax. Guy i've never met said "Lipbalm, are you a queer?"

I replied "I'll go over there and let your mates see you get smashed by a queer"

Not only did it shut him up, but also triggered another guy to take out HIS lipbalm. It was hilarious!

(i realise that made me sound like some sort of ruffian, i'm really a wimp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Carmex is ace. 'Nearly always have some around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

As much as I have no problem with lip balm and would buy some if I weren't a broke student. I'm getting fed up with the amount of bent f*cking threads on this forum!

For what its worth I always found labello very good and vaseline terrible.

As much as I have no problem with lip balm and would buy some if I weren't a broke student. I'm getting fed up with the amount of bent f*cking threads on this forum!

For what its worth I always found labello very good and vaseline terrible.

:confused:

You have no problem with lip balm,would buy it and use it if you had the cash,but its bent?

Something you are trying to tell us BoS?
    :pac:

I'm getting fed up with the amount of bent f*cking threads on this forum!

So tell me, what constitutes a "bent f*cking thread" in your opinion?

Is this thread a "bent f*cking thread"?

And what constitutes as homophobia in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

nedtheshed wrote: »
    :confused:

You have no problem with lip balm,would buy it and use it if you had the cash,but its bent?

Something you are trying to tell us BoS?
    :pac:
    mrstuffins wrote:
    So tell me, what constitutes a "bent f*cking thread" in your opinion?

Is this thread a "bent f*cking thread"?

And what constitutes as homophobia in your opinion?

Relax lads was just kidding around. Thought my recommendation would make that clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

+1 for Carmex, great tack

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    +1 for Carmex, great tack

I especially like the tub. Im not sure how much is in the tube, but the tub seems to last for AGES, even though i use it all the time.

For me, the extra money you spend on a tub of Carmax is paid back in quality and longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Reminds me of a funny lip-balm related anecdote....

Last April I was in Pamplona with the (ex)boyfriend (f*cking bent guy here :P) and went into the chemist to get some lip balm as my lips chap really easily. I picked up some generic lip balm with SPF 18 protection as it was pretty sunny, the chemist gave me a kind of funny look but I didn't really understand why, thought maybe it was my accent or whatever. So I used this a few times a day for about a week, and noticed that sometimes people were giving me strange looks as I was putting it on but I couldn't figure out why so I just shrugged it off.

Then on the last day before heading home I put some on while in the bathroom, looked in the mirror and.... holy **** my lips were covered in a glossy white substance :eek::eek::eek: Needless to say I asked my ex why he hadn't bloody told me I'd been making myself look like a fool everyday for the last week and he just said he "thought I liked the look" :mad: I read the container several times and it doesn't mention anything about not being clear, and you couldn't tell from just looking at the stick.

Moral of the story... Bring your own chapstick to spain :rolleyes:

kisaragi wrote: »
    Reminds me of a funny lip-balm related anecdote....

Last April I was in Pamplona with the (ex)boyfriend (f*cking bent guy here :P) and went into the chemist to get some lip balm as my lips chap really easily. I picked up some generic lip balm with SPF 18 protection as it was pretty sunny, the chemist gave me a kind of funny look but I didn't really understand why, thought maybe it was my accent or whatever. So I used this a few times a day for about a week, and noticed that sometimes people were giving me strange looks as I was putting it on but I couldn't figure out why so I just shrugged it off.

Then on the last day before heading home I put some on while in the bathroom, looked in the mirror and.... holy **** my lips were covered in a glossy white substance :eek::eek::eek: Needless to say I asked my ex why he hadn't bloody told me I'd been making myself look like a fool everyday for the last week and he just said he "thought I liked the look" :mad: I read the container several times and it doesn't mention anything about not being clear, and you couldn't tell from just looking at the stick.

Moral of the story... Bring your own chapstick to spain :rolleyes:

I was living in Spain for a while and forgot to bring any Carmax, so my friend went and got me some lipbalm out of the kindness of her heart.

Brought me the girliest fruitiest pink flowery lip-balm you've ever seen.

She thought it was hilarious, but it was lovely stuff. Worked like a charm and smelled delicious. I still use it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

star-pants wrote: »
    Aye Boots do versions of chapstick (probably less than 2euro), there's nivea ones (range from 2/3 to 5ish), there's carmex that comes in a tube or a lil pot (around 3-5), I got a Burts Bees one recently actually as I get recurring splits in my lips that are uber deep and wanted to try something else, it's pretty good, but you have to like the smell (and possible taste) of a honey flavour.

Blistex do a cream for split lips, it stings but it is pretty darned good, they do a few ranges, again not cheap 3-5 at least. I use it when mine are really bad because it helps heal. So it might do no harm to get the original blistex stuff to keep for when it's bad and use a regular lipbalm inbetween.

Blistex is your only man. Don't mess around with other stuff, go directly to this stuff for INSTANT relief. It stings a little as star-pants said, but its a good type of stinging, you know its working its magic.

I have two types, a little tube, that you squeeze onto your finger and then apply to your lips, and a little tub that you scoop it out from. I think the tub might be a little bit better as the tube tends to get bashed a bit.

b%3Bistex.jpg

Go and get it now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I was living in Spain for a while and forgot to bring any Carmax, so my friend went and got me some lipbalm out of the kindness of her heart.

Brought me the girliest fruitiest pink flowery lip-balm you've ever seen.

She thought it was hilarious, but it was lovely stuff. Worked like a charm and smelled delicious. I still use it :D

Haha :D Mine didn't even have a perfume! Man I really need to try out this Carmax stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Another +1 for Carmex.

Couldn't go far without it when it's this cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭newbie85

blistex relief cream is BRILLIANT for chapped lips!! stick it on at night and your lips will be fixed in the morning!!!

kisaragi wrote: »
    Haha :D Mine didn't even have a perfume! Man I really need to try out this Carmax stuff...

Its the b*lls!

Blistex is also highly recommended as others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Another +1 for Carmex.

Couldn't go far without it when it's this cold.

Has anyone tried both Carmex and Blistex? Is one better than the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

its basically due to the glare on the snow and ice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

HotSwap wrote: »
    Has anyone tried both Carmex and Blistex? Is one better than the other?

Tried both. For cuts Blistex works really well, for mild chap / protection, Carmex works. They'll both do the trick but if I need splits healed - blistex will be quicker as it's intensive. Carmex is great too, but I'd use it more for protection.
    Handy to have both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yep both Carmex and Blistex are the business! Carmex is only €2.99 in Tesco these days too. And I can't stress it enough but never use Vaseline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I suffered from chapped lips for years. A friend of mine said it was a sign of dehydration so I started drinking a lot more water since that I don't get dry lips any more.

Advertisement