Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking on Ben Bulben?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I believe that's a local farmer think he's law to himself that's illegal blocking a public road.dont know is it a council or gardai issue

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

rizzodun wrote: »
    Took a drive up towards Luke's bridge a couple of weeks back to find a fence across the road not far from the treatment plant. Leaving a fair hike in and nowhere really to leave the car. Is that normal? Doesn't look like it was easy to move. No sign, just an old hi vis across it, don't see the point of signposting a place of interest if you can't get to it.

Afaik unless something has changed since I was there in the summer the fence is only to keep animals in, as opposed to walkers out and the high viz over it is just to make it visible or you might drive into it! It's just light wire and can be lifted, pulled back and closed again. The car park is beyond it tho' as we were there on a Sunday afternoon it was very busy so some people still had to go beyond the (small) car park to find a space. The Co Co have just repaired a second bridge further on, maybe for farmers or turf cutters but I guess for walkers too as there's a prominent brown sign directing people to Lukes Bridge from the N15. Sligo Mountaineering Club used this route for their fundraising night climb of Ben Bulben in July so doubt there's an access problem. Try again OP but wait for Ophelia to head away first!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Aye, through the fence and keep heading up the way as normal.
    I was up there a month back and met with him as he was leaving for home near the end of the day.... 'just told us to make sure we pull the "New Zealand" style fence back across behind us; friendly enough about us being there and n'er a bother from him!

Advertisement