Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

once i have finished my course, can i leave school, come back and stil sit the exam

Options
  • 06-05-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

im sitting my leaving cert in 2016 but am planning on moving to Canada the December before my exam , il most likely have my course finished by then and we'll just be doing revision up to the exam .
    if I was to move to Canada an still study will I be able to come back in june and sit the exam ? im not bothered about finishing my leaving cert but I want to do it to keep my mother happy :'')

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will miss almost all the practical/oral/project elements of your subjects.

Make sure your school enter you for the exams.

Listen to your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

As the previous poster said, the last semester will be full of practical/oral/aural exams and you'll have to at least do them before the written ones to at least pass. Then you can do whatever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 swagmaster1

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    As the previous poster said, the last semester will be full of practical/oral/aural exams and you'll have to at least do them before the written ones to at least pass. Then you can do whatever you like.

Im not bothered about my results though so would it matter if I missed oral exams ? The way it's done in my school is the last term is all tension we finish the course before Christmas , is there anyway I could still study the course while I'm in Canada as like an over seas student or something , I know I've seen something about that online but I don't really understand how I'd go about doing it , and I could do a lot of the course this summer and higher a tutor ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why do it at all if you're not bothered about results?
    I'd imagine a return airfare from Canada won't be cheap.

What career are you planning on entering with no qualifications?

spurious wrote: »
    Why do it at all if you're not bothered about results?
    I'd imagine a return airfare from Canada won't be cheap.

What career are you planning on entering with no qualifications?

I just want to work over there for two years I dont mind what I do and then come back and go into competing horses and set up my own stables ect

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... and set up my own stables ect
    I hope you have a rich backer. :)

I hope you have a rich backer. :)
    Well stables are there just need to fill them !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Honestly not doing a leaving cert is one of the best ways to ensure a hard struggle for the rest of your days.

Of course you can get by without it but almost every employer will pick someone with it rather than you. You shut off so many options from yourself without it.

In this day and age i would honestly call it idiotic not to try and get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have a job and visa already sorted?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hmm, Boards just did something very strange to this thread, not sure why ... you might repost your last reply, swagmaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I just want to work over there for two years I dont mind what I do and then come back and go into competing horses and set up my own stables ect

Practicals and orals are typically worth 25-50% of the overall grade depending on the subject. If you didn't complete these components you are most likely to fail those subjects. Why don't you just put the move to Canada on hold for 6 months, do the Leaving Cert and move to Canada in June? What's the big rush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Your chances of going to Canada are increased if you have qualifications. VISAs are competitive over there, and I'm sure they'd rather give a bunch to people with qualifications and evidence they'd want to work, than a teenager who hasn't finished school yet.

Just do the LC and then move?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

If I were you I'd just hold off until June..its hard enough getting a job these days with just the leaving never mind not having it..Found it very hard finding any sort of decent work until I actually went back to college to finish my degree..plenty of my friends just have the leaving and have done their time in trades (2 mechanics 1 electrician and 1 Plumber) but there are 1 of 2 them that just have the leaving and are struggling now at home after struggling to find work in Canada.

Knuckle down..get your leaving cert done and by all means then go have a fun 2 years in Canada or more if you do find something you enjoy. But don't limit yourself by heading off to Canada without it because if do come back you'll have next to no luck trying to get any type of enjoyable job without it

Advertisement