Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aftershave/cologne

• 25-05-2011 8:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice for an aftershave/cologne.

im looking for something fresh and clean with a rich maturity that doesnt smell like lynx. It should be subtle enough to wear in an office.

i used 1881 last week and it seemed grand but i just used it the once.

any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I tend to use Old Spice or Hugo Boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

How would you describe their smells? Longetivity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hugo Boss has a relaxing scent to it, wouldn't really be any good at describing it any more then that I'm afraid.

Not really too sure how I'd describe Old Spice either.

I think some perfume shops usually allow you to sample them before you buy then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

What Dravokivich said. I use Hugo Boss as I hate overpowering aftershave. It's a more subtle scent and I'm pretty happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Boss by Hugo Boss is my favourite. Chanel Allure Sport is pretty good as well. Farnenheit and Homme Sport both by Christian Dior are nice as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

Ralph Lauren #1 blue, from the Big Pony collection. Subtle enough but has a refreshing scent IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Joop and Hugo Boss are my favourites. Tend to alternate between the two..

Also, whilst everybody will just list the few they have tried and liked, every scent is different on different people. It will react differently to different body chemistries. What suits me, may not suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Hugo Boss original for me. I think it ticks all your boxes. Never got the longevity thing about aftershaves. Of course you are going to stop smelling it after a while but it doesn't mean every else stopped smelling it. Take a whiff of your shirt the next day, in all likely hood it will still smell of your aftershave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Also, whilst everybody will just list the few they have tried and liked, every scent is different on different people. It will react differently to different body chemistries. What suits me, may not suit you.

Agreed. It's about trial and error really. Whichever one you choose though op, don't overdo it! Nothing worse than being overpowered by a scent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The only way to have a subtle smell from aftershave is to spray a mist of aftershave in front of you and then walk through it. It's the only way of spreading aftershave evenly and lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stop Lad!

Armani Code is the best iv ever bought. love it.
    Calvin Klein Euphoria is dacent too

The only way to have a subtle smell from aftershave is to spray a mist of aftershave in front of you and then walk through it. It's the only way of spreading aftershave evenly and lightly.

Nah 3 squirts. One on the chest, one either side of your neck. The mist thing always seemed like BS to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I like Loris Azzaro, not overpowering, also been told by a couple of women that it has a "Horny" smell, make of that what you will.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

davidoff cool water would be a pleasant one if you don't want an overpowering aftershave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Armani Code is what I use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

[Rasta] wrote: »
    davidoff cool water would be a pleasant one if you don't want an overpowering aftershave.

A former housemate used to wear this and I thought it smelt like a fly killer spray. :o

Armani Code is nice, could be a tad overpowering if you want something really light.
    Clinique Happy for Men is another nice one.
    Or Chanel Allure or Chanel Allure Sport.

Larianne wrote: »
    Or Chanel Allure or Chanel Allure Sport.

Chanel Allure Blanche Edition is the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

a relative brought me back a bottle of versace pour homme from holidays and it smells gorgeous great longetivity aswell.favourite cologne by far and the ladies love it too;)

Versace%20Pour%20Homme%20Bottle.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A former housemate used to wear this and I thought it smelt like a fly killer spray. :o

Ouch! That's my go-to fragrance. :o

CK Be and D&G Light Blue are another two I enjoy.

• Advertisement

Ouch! That's my go-to fragrance. :o

CK Be and D&G Light Blue are another two I enjoy.

I'll have a sniff of ya next time I see you. :pac: I know its a popular scent for guys, but that's how I smell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'll have a sniff of ya next time I see you. :pac: I know its a popular scent for guys, but that's how I smell it.

Now theres a sniff of want if ever I've seen one!:eek::pac::eek:

(papa runs for the hills!)

papagormo wrote: »
    Now theres a sniff of want if ever I've seen one!:eek::pac::eek:

(papa runs for the hills!)

:cool: Yeah keep running Papa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

:cool: Yeah keep running Papa!

hehe! Ahh ya know I lurve ya really Larianne!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

I like Armani Code also but I agree that it can be a little overpowering.

Give Paul Smith Story a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Burberry touch would be my shout. Always get complimented on it when I use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I wear either the original Hugo Boss or Aqua di Gio by Armani (everyone's smelt this, but I still get complimented on it once in a while), both are subtle but smell great.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

I`ve always loved a German cologne called Tabac. Lovely fresh mix of citrus, lavender and sandalwood, with an old world gentlemanly charm.

Boots do a 100ml bottle of the aftershave for 20 euro, but Fragrance x do a massive 300ml bottle of the stronger cologne for about the same price with free postage. Amazing value for such a quality scent.

I would ignore almost all of the modern overpriced Eau de toilette crap that people are expected to wear these days. Most of them are overpowering and all of them present poor value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Yves Saint Laurent's La Nuit de l'Homme is nice stuff.
    Bit expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

http://www.shaving.ie/categories/Shaving-Products/Aftershave-Lotion/

Try here, some proper old school aftershaves and they're not ridiculously expensive.

Either of the Floid's are really nice mild smells, think of a barber shop/shaving shop kind of smell.

I'm a big fan of sandalwood, myself and would suit what you're looking for.

Trumpers limes, is also good it's a very lively smell, with a citrus scent. They don't have the aftershave at the mo but if you go into colognes at the side menu, they have some.

Oh and Proraso, great great with menthol and witch hazel, it smells great and you're face feels really fresh after it.

Any opinions on cerruti 1881?

Which hugo boss aftershave do you prefer?

Any opinions on cerruti 1881?

Never tried it TBH, and haven't heard much about it. I usually tend to steer more towards the older scents. I don't think i've bought aftershave in a shop in years, everything I have comes from chris at shaving.ie or other websites.

Check out badgerandblade.com they've a whole forum on aftershave, also facial hair and hats forum here on boards. great info on aftershaves. link in my sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I currently use Clinique Happy for Men and D&G Light Blue during the day as they are both fresh and crisp, and not too overpowering.
    I tend to use Giorgio Armani Armani Code for the evening & at night time.
    And I have Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male for when I'm heading out late-ish and want a strong fragrance.
    ^^^^
    These are all Eau de Toilette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but After Shave is used after you've shaved. You splash it everywhere you've shaved.

Eau de Toilette is a perfume and you should only splash it on the neck. This stuff lasts twice as long as After Shave, but doesn't have the same soothing effect.

The wife's favourite is the original Polo, while my favourite is Cacharel pour l'homme.

As mentioned earlier, it's a very personal thing. You should try out different ones and see if there's any effect on the opposite sex (or same sex, if that's the case). My sister-in law loves the Cacharel, so I'd never wear it in her presence. :D

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but After Shave is used after you've shaved. You splash it everywhere you've shaved.

Eau de Toilette is a perfume and you should only splash it on the neck. This stuff lasts twice as long as After Shave, but doesn't have the same soothing effect.

The wife's favourite is the original Polo, while my favourite is Cacharel pour l'homme.

As mentioned earlier, it's a very personal thing. You should try out different ones and see if there's any effect on the opposite sex (or same sex, if that's the case). My sister-in law loves the Cacharel, so I'd never wear it in her presence. :D
    In Men's fragrances, what is the difference between an Aftershave, Eau de Toilette, and Cologne?

They are completely different things, although many men, unknowingly use them interchangeably.

An Aftershave contains less perfume oil (around (1%-3%), therefore the scent isn't as long lasting as an Eau de Toilette. Many aftershaves contain soothing and cooling ingredients, such as Aloe Vera. This helps soothe the skin after a shave . The alcohol contained will also close skin pores opened by the hot water from your shave. Aftershave will only last for about 2-3 hours so, it isn't effective if you want your fragrance to last all evening.

An Eau de Toilette contains more perfume oil than the Aftershave, typically around 4%-8%. However EDT's contain too much oil to be put on the face, especially after shaving. You will probably come up all red and blotchy as a result. An Eau de Cologne will contain 2%-5%. Therefore, an Eau de Cologne should be a lighter and not so longer lasting fragrance.

However in the world of Men's Fragrance, the definitions have become slightly blurred. A lot of the time, a fragrance house will call an Eau de Toilette strength fragrance, a Cologne. Nine times out of ten, in men's fragrance a Cologne will be of EDT strength. There are a few houses which use the correct term, (Guerlain for example).

Eau de Toilette should be put on the 'pulse points'. These are the area's where the veins are near the skins surface and you can feel a pulse (ie. Neck, Wrist, Chest... ) which will last longer. Because of the higher perfume content, Eau de Toilette lasts much longer than an Aftershave (around 6-8 hours) so its ideal if you want your fragrance to last all evening.

It is a common misconception that an Eau de Toilette is weaker than an Aftershave. Probably because the 'Eau' part of the name makes people think it is watered down Aftershave. Or it could be that people are used to the fact that an Eau de toilette is generally the weakest strength in Ladies Fragrance.

As EDT contains more perfume than the Aftershave, you will find that they are more expensive.

Some people will ask "Which shall I buy? EDT or Aftershave?". It depends on your needs. If you are wanting a lasting fragrance, go for the EDT. Many men like Aftershave to put on after they have shaved & then spray on a little EDT. It is mostly up to you as to what you perfer to use.

As well as Aftershaves, Eau de Toilettes and Eau de Colognes, there are two other main fragrance strength categories. These are Eau de Parfum and Parfum (or Perfume)

A Parfum or Perfume is quite rare in Men's fragrance. A perfume contains 15%-30% Perfume Oil (the rest is alcohol). You'll only need a very tiny amount at the pulse points but it lasts for ages. Very expensive though.

An Eau de Parfum is 'The next one up' from an Eau de Toilette. They are useful for men, who find that their fragrance doesn't last or just would like a stronger strength. They contain 8%-15% of the perfume oil, and these can last pretty much all day.
    The Eau de Parfum is fairly rare in Men's fragrance, but not as rare as the pure perfume. Givenchy does one in their Pi range, as does Yves Saint Laurent in the Opium Homme range.

You can also get Men's body splashes and sprays, in which the strength can vary quite a bit, typically 1%-4%.

Thank you for reading this Guide. I hope this has helped you understand the difference in the men's fragrances.

Taken from here

Advertisement