Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you take sickies from work?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Said the monkey to the man before engaging in an act which ultimately induced the HIV virus in humans.

I dont know bout everyone else but I don't my joke was genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

I dont know bout everyone else but I don't my joke was genius!

Doing pass English? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I know a guy who works in a large company, they give a 1500 quid bonus at Christmas if you've taken zero sick days that year.

That's an incentive!

ronjo wrote: »
    Doing pass English? :D

auto correct sorry you ignorant redundant old man... :)

auto correct sorry you ignorant redundant old man... :)

Haha...... even as an ignorant old man, not sure where the redundant comes from, I still know how to check my auto correct ;)

ronjo wrote: »
    Haha...... even as an ignorant old man, not sure where the redundant comes from, I still know how to check my auto correct ;)
    old man doesn't understand what auto correct is = redundant

my English = certainly not pass level!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd rather go in and doss than pull a sickie.

old man doesn't understand what auto correct is = redundant

my English = certainly not pass level!!

Not only do I know what auto correct is, I even know how to use it, unlike some people.

Anyway, on topic I have only ever taken one sickie.
    I was working on a new project for my company in Ljubljana and in the first week I slept in late and got to work about 30mins late.
    Second week I did it again like an idiot so called in sick as I was so embarrassed......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I am never actually sick ever,I just don't get sick ever, but I have rang sick a few times when I wasn't. Took a week off last year to go to the euros. Another time I was in the last ten of a poker competition, rang in sick and then was knocked out about a minute later.

That my friend is called karma. I have called in a few times. But I have suffered from bad migranes so if I feel one maybe coming on I would caqll in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What about your kid passing the illness onto other kids?

AH really is a basket case these days. People will become indignant at anything.

Kid goes to school with a cold "what about other kids getting this ILLNESS"

Garda gets bitten by some HIV ravaged scum "pfft...gards :rolleyes: sure HIV is impossible to get anyway, and even if he does get it, sure he'll be grand. It doesn't kill. Much."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

keith16 wrote: »
    People will become indignant at anything.

Kid goes to school with a cold "what about other kids getting this ILLNESS"

:) I don't think it's indignation, just querying parents who couldn't be bothered looking after their kids, so ship them into school to get them out of the way. Done under the pretence that it's because 'school is so important' — a couple of days off school sick isn't going to make a huge difference to them which or whether.

People who come into work dying & spend the day coughing all over me do annoy me though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I work as a contractor so I don't get sick pay so defintely no advantage in taking a sickie unless I was genuinely sick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If i'm sick, i'll go out sick. Get paid for being sick, and it's not worth the hassle of being sick and trying to do what i do. Need to be 100% (90 at least!) to do the job properly, and how i work effects how others work, and vica versa.

If you're sick for more than 1 day, you need a cert. Last week, i got a chest infection. Managed 2 out of 6 days working, called in sick for the rest. It's not gone yet though. Went back to work Monday, and off sick again last night. Will go to work tonight, and on leave Saturday, and off then for a few days.

Also, you get shít for thanks for coming in when you're sick. And no bonus for not coming in sick (which, imo, is a crazy bonus, sometimes you just can't help getting sick and you're technically penalised for it!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I never to to take sick day, then a few years back I copped on that you get no thanks for it; so if I'm off I'm off. I wouldn't feel guiltly about it in relation to the HSE; however, I have to be careful about the guilt you can feel in terms of the clients who don't get to see me if I don't turn in.

It can be difficult you need to be at your best to work with people's psyche, and missing an appointment can provoke a lopt of bad feeling from some clients. However, you have to look after yourself first, to be of any use to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Feathers wrote: »

:) I don't think it's indignation, just querying parents who couldn't be bothered looking after their kids, so ship them into school to get them out of the way. Done under the pretence that it's because 'school is so important' — a couple of days off school sick isn't going to make a huge difference to them which or whether.

Feathers while I can understand and have witnessed the type of parents you're talking about, I can assure you I'm far from anything like them. If you would care to look back on my post history you'll notice I do tend to bang on an awful lot about the importance of education, and not only education but discipline and structure and routine. In my opinion a couple of days off school means the child misses out on a whole week of concepts that can be very hard to catch up on when they miss them. Also I know that keeping the child at home means they'll treat it like a holiday.

I know you didn't aim it at me personally but I just thought to let you know that your opinion, while valid in a minority of cases, would not hold true for the majority.

The health service recently advised also against giving children antibiotics to fight off mild infections such as colds because antibiotics compromise their immune systems and therefore do not allow their immune systems to build up a resistance to common infections such as colds.

I'm not an expert on the subject but I did mention that I had discussed it with the child's teacher, and the school principal, and we were all in agreement that the child was better off in school and posed no imminent threat to the other children in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dj Grimreefer

Called in one day, told them I was hurling all day
    Joke is on them, was a great puck around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Yes, all the time when I had a job.

It's possibly one the reasons I don't have a job anymore.

• Site Banned Posts: 49 johnnycarrick

I know a guy who works in a large company, they give a 1500 quid bonus at Christmas if you've taken zero sick days that year.

That's an incentive!

Only 1500 Euro?
    Not worth it.
    I wouldn't trade it for the days I had in bed with my girlfriend.
    We used to phone in sick together and never leave the bed.
    Money isn't everything. Living your life on your terms is.
    You see that money would come and go quick enough, but my memories stay with me for life; and that means more to me than loyalty to a Manager or company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Just a quick google shows that in 2010 (the latest figures I could find) shows that €1.5BN is lost due to sick days.

That's a lot! Approx €818 per enployee.

I don't phone in sick because I have a hangover. See, I'm a grownup, and I can NOT drink if I have to be in work the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Feathers while I can understand and have witnessed the type of parents you're talking about, I can assure you I'm far from anything like them. If you would care to look back on my post history you'll notice I do tend to bang on an awful lot about the importance of education, and not only education but discipline and structure and routine. In my opinion a couple of days off school means the child misses out on a whole week of concepts that can be very hard to catch up on when they miss them. Also I know that keeping the child at home means they'll treat it like a holiday.

I know you didn't aim it at me personally but I just thought to let you know that your opinion, while valid in a minority of cases, would not hold true for the majority.

The health service recently advised also against giving children antibiotics to fight off mild infections such as colds because antibiotics compromise their immune systems and therefore do not allow their immune systems to build up a resistance to common infections such as colds.

I'm not an expert on the subject but I did mention that I had discussed it with the child's teacher, and the school principal, and we were all in agreement that the child was better off in school and posed no imminent threat to the other children in the school.

Definitely giving anyone antibiotics for a virus is stupid. But bed-rest/fluids etc can help & may mean that if they take Mon/Tues off, they can concentrate better Wed–Fri. But sure, didn't mean to aim it at you in particular & my post was probably a bit on the rant side anyway! :)

No, never.

Appreciate having a job, and if you are not happy look for another. Someone wants or needs yours.

I am on my way in today, would rather be in bed.

I don't take sickies on principle, but I find this kind of lecturing to be equally objectionable tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,945 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Never done it myself - in a previous job I had 500 hours worth of AL entitlement built up (before the days of "use it or lose it but we won't pay it in cash" :()

Although I've gotten better at taking time off, these days I can work from home if I wanted to - full access to the network from the work laptop, company mobile, have a team that'll work away despite me being out - but I still rarely do it (unless maybe I had a late conf call or something) and even when I'm off I still keep an eye on the mobile.

I wouldn't have minded working from home today as I was called in late last night (twice!) to sort out a mini-crisis, but that would have meant leaving one of the lads on his own today so I went in as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Would depend where / for who I was working. Small business where I know the owner well and my absence will have a major affect on others? - obviously not. Big multinational where Im just a number in a HR file and I wouldnt be missed unless my line manager was around to look for me - I'd take the odd sickie yeah.

I was in the latter position for a few years and was surrounded by people who prided themselves on their attendance record and how much they did for the company. In the end management upped sticks and dropped hundreds of people on the scrapheap simply because their profit margins werent quite massive enough! Fúck that. Im glad I had the odd lost Wednesday while I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

If I don't go in then I have left someone in the shop on their own. They wouldn't be able to take lunch and it would just be horrible for them.

I called in sick once, back when we had more staff so person not left alone, because I was going through a period of insomnia. Felt so guilty though, an in enjoyable day!

Last time I was sick with a bladder infection (most painful things ever) and I had to ring the family doctor from work and get my mam to pick up anti biotics for me. Missing work just isn't an option:/

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

I phoned in sick one glorious Tuesday after a bank holiday so I could lol around in bed with my boyf who is now my husband. I don't regret it! That was the only time though.

I have worked in the public sector for 10 years and the only other times I have called in sick where when I was pregnant and genuinely sick. I tend to only get really badly sick when pregnant, at other times I can still manage to get to work and do my best. I am on carers leave at the minute as my husband is unwell, most people I talk to think I am mad for not getting signed of sick. Maybe they are right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

i ran out of sick days last year so i rang in dead......you should of seen the looks i got the next morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

conform conform conform!!! Sick days rock fools!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No, I've never taken any type of sick day, real or fake. I'm a very honest person and I value my career and my business (two separate entities) so I just couldn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

No, I've never taken any type of sick day, real or fake. I'm a very honest person and I value my career and my business (two separate entities) so I just couldn't do it.

What's dishonest about taking a sick day because you're sick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

matrim wrote: »
    What's dishonest about taking a sick day because you're sick?

Nothing. I mean I couldn't take a sickie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Pulled my first sickie today. To be fair, I am sick, sick of the job as I handed in my notice over a week ago. Just four more days and I'm out of there.
    There is a standby person for Saturday work so they covered for me and will be getting paid for it. Didn't really put anyone out by not going in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

In 5 years I've called in sick twice. Both times from the hospital.

There was one day though.... I'd been out with a girl I'd just started seeing. And she was both nice and really good looking. I woke up the next morning and looked out the window. Snow everywhere. Fcuk loads of it. She was asleep in the bed.
    So I called work and said I couldn't get in because of the snow. So it was kind of a sicky, well, I did spend the day in bed.
    But any other occasion, no matter how hung over I am or even if it's just a mild cold, I go in.

Grayson wrote: »
    In 5 years I've called in sick twice. Both times from the hospital.

There was one day though.... I'd been out with a girl I'd just started seeing. And she was both nice and really good looking. I woke up the next morning and looked out the window. Snow everywhere. Fcuk loads of it. She was asleep in the bed.
    So I called work and said I couldn't get in because of the snow. So it was kind of a sicky, well, I did spend the day in bed.
    But any other occasion, no matter how hung over I am or even if it's just a mild cold, I go in.

Dude we get it you got laid!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dude we get it you got laid!!

At least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I used to go in when I had a cold coming on but found that I felt miserable and did a poor job. I did this for years, and found that not only did you get no thanks, but you're given a hard time over the quality of your work - I need to be mentally sharp mistakes are easily made.

I can usually work fine after getting through the first 24 hours of a heavy cold, though I still might have symptoms for a week, so now I always call in sick for the bad part. Maybe I'm not in as good health as everyone else here (I thought I was), but I call in sick probably three times a year, and I have no guilt about doing it - If you're sick you should put your health first and nip whatever it is in the bud in case it develops into something worse.

I stay at home and I switch my work mobile off. And up until the last couple of years, I didn't get payed for sick days, and I still took the days off despite this when I really did need the money, because I think sorting out your health (and keeping my reputation for my quality of work) are more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Once! I was seriously ill a couple ago and my boss had the cheek to suggest I had taken time off work because I could! I had never been sick nor had I ever taken a sick day in the five years prior so I took the following week off in spite of my boss!! I'm sure she knew it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I know the way you meant it Izzy, but I'm almost tempted to take that as a compliment! :pac:

Believe it or not that's the way my parents reared us, my mother was a teacher in the primary school so no chance of sick days unless you practically had a death notice instead of a sick note!

In secondary school my father was on the Board of Management and the principal had his number on speed dial. I had never mitched all the way up through school until one day in third year, we had a free class. I decided to see out of curiosity what all this mitching lark was about- thought I'd made a great escape, but then I realised I'd nowhere to go and nothing to do.

What IDIOT goes mitching in the local library? Only to be spotted by the vice principal across the top of the bookshelves! I made a runner for it, back to the school, vice principal just strolling back to the school, caught me hiding out on top of the bike shed.

"Come down here Mr. (Czarcasm)!". Marched into the principal's office, I was burning up with embarrassment. The principal told me he wouldn't inform my father if I agreed to yard litter duty for the rest of the year. I promptly agreed and did the yard litter duty for the rest of the year. I only found out years later that the principal had told my old man anyway when my old man threw it back in my face over one of our many petty arguments! :D

What a beautiful Victorian story !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

tempura wrote: »

What a beautiful Victorian story !

Ah here, I'm not THAT old! :D

Loved that vice principal though, he was an ex army man whose favorite phrase when he'd end the class was-

"Old soldiers never die..."

and we'd all chime in with-

"They only fade away."

He did eventually die of course, a couple of years back, he was in his late eighties. At the funeral we all did a salute as the coffin was laid into the ground, as any time he did school yard patrol he would give you a salute and you would salute back. It was merely a gesture of respect.

RIP "Chippy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

No, but I really think we should have duvet days like in some countries. Not sick but couldn't be arsed going to work, take a duvet day! None of the guilt and would make you feel the company you work for is great.

Advertisement