Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronic Kidney Disease

Options
  • 28-09-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Have Crohns disease and apparently the medication I was on has damaged my kidneys substantially. Even though I have come off the bad meds my kidney function is still reducing and they tell me I'm at 35% function.

Anybody got any experiences/advice?

I have been given a low salt, low protein diet and trying to drink more water but I'm very worried about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Ush1 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Have Crohns disease and apparently the medication I was on has damaged my kidneys substantially. Even though I have come off the bad meds my kidney function is still reducing and they tell me I'm at 35% function.

Anybody got any experiences/advice?

I have been given a low salt, low protein diet and trying to drink more water but I'm very worried about it.

The only advice I can offer is stick to the diet rigidly, its tough going but is the best way to slow down the kidney failure. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 abhimet

Hi Ush,

I am in similar boat, have ulcerative colitis and it appears that my medication has caused damage to the kidneys. My Dr hasnt prescribed me any special diet as such. I wonder what sort of diet you are on and how are you copying with IBD?

abhimet

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

What medications were you on? I've got UC and didnt know that the meds could interfere with kidney function.

I was on mesavent, now, I have been taken off that medication. On prednisone at the moment due to a flare up. But Dr are thinking to put me on Imuran or Simponi for longer term maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

abhimet wrote: »
    Hi Ush,

I am in similar boat, have ulcerative colitis and it appears that my medication has caused damage to the kidneys. My Dr hasnt prescribed me any special diet as such. I wonder what sort of diet you are on and how are you copying with IBD?

abhimet

Sorry only saw this now.

My crohns is generally fine as long as I take my Imuran but my kidneys are continuing to deteriorate. Very worrying.

The dietician advised a low salt, low protein diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Froshtbit wrote: »
    What medications were you on? I've got UC and didnt know that the meds could interfere with kidney function.

Asacolon, but apparently the damage can be done by any non steroidal anti inflammatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

I was on deltatcortril for a few months to bring it under control. at the moment, I'm on Pentasa. Googling Pentasa side effects was not fun. The only thing that I've ascertained is that any long term medication is bad for your kidneys.

Pentasa has well and truly given me a new lease of life and there have been no obious side effects. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭joeprivate

Ush1 wrote: »
    Sorry only saw this now.

My crohns is generally fine as long as I take my Imuran but my kidneys are continuing to deteriorate. Very worrying.

The dietician advised a low salt, low protein diet.

Can you tell me what foods were you told to eat ?
    What do you eat every day? What is a low protein diet in practice?
    Are you following a low protein diet?

Back to the forum guys...I have been put on Simponi (golimumab) for UC...

Advertisement