Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel NAS upgrade from NSA310 to NSA325-V2

Options
  • 29-10-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Can anyone please advise...

I have a Zyxel NSA310 drive that has bitten the dust with a 3TB HDD - i believe it is the NAS that has died and the HDD is ok - i wanted to upgrade the NAS to the NSA325-V2 - can i take the drive from the 310 and put it directly into the 325 without formatting?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'd imagine so.

I don't see any reason why a NAS drive would not simply mount any disk presented to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

I'd imagine so.

I don't see any reason why a NAS drive would not simply mount any disk presented to it.

That's not the question though, it will obviously mount the disk but the question is will he have to reformat the disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

davo2001 wrote: »
    That's not the question though, it will obviously mount the disk but the question is will he have to reformat the disk.

Thanks davo2001 - that is correct...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

They both use Linux Ext4 as the file format. Provided that the NSA325 isn't already set up with a drive configuration in RAID 0, it should just accept it.

If you want to be cautious, you could install the ext4 for windows driver from Paragon,
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/

and connect the 3.5" disk using a cheap USB to 3.5" SATA caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

ressem wrote: »
    They both use Linux Ext4 as the file format. Provided that the NSA325 isn't already set up with a drive configuration in RAID 0, it should just accept it.

If you want to be cautious, you could install the ext4 for windows driver from Paragon,
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/

and connect the 3.5" disk using a cheap USB to 3.5" SATA caddy.

Thanks ressem - i was going to set it up as JBOD as i would want to get the full storage allowance from both drives - would that negate a RAID issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Is the priority to recover the files that are on the existing disk?

Some of this is guesswork as the NSA325 will usually put some of it's software on the disk in a small 1/2 GB partition on the first disk, and some of the plugins onto the first Volume.

So
    1: you really might want to try backing up the data before adding the disk to the new hardware.

2: JBOD should be a correct option for recovering data. Whether the web interface will detect and display the old volume correctly is unknown. If not, it might be required to telnet into the NAS and copy files from the old volume to the new using the command line.
    The NSA325 isn't meant to do any destructive conversions unless you manually click the Migrate button.

3: I don't know how well the old operating system install would support the new hardware. So ensure that it's booting using the new nsa325 initialized 3.5" disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Thinking of changing to a 325v2 how did you get on did you have to reformat as that would be a pain for me

Advertisement