Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows 10 - Chrome issues

Options
  • 04-10-2015 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Since installing Windows 10 on my 1 year old Haswell i5 laptop with 8gb RAM, SSD, Chrome is taking ages to upload webpages. Once the laptop is on a few hours thing improve. Cannot put my finger on what is causing it to be so slow, is my ISP or windows 10 incompatibility with chrome or what?

My windows tablet with 2gb ram is now quicker than my laptop!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Do you have many plugins activated in Chrome? Do you experience the same problem in say Edge browser? Google Chrome is fully Windows 10 compatible so it wouldn't be the OS

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Just 5 plugins, set to Detect to "detect and run important plugins"as opposed run all plugins.

Just tried MS Edge and it is equally slow. When I had windows 8 all my set pages would load in a matter of 3 to 4 minutes, now it is like watching a slow spining clock taking near 20 minutes.

My Yahoo windows App won't load correctly at all, falling over a lot so am using the MS compatible to Yahoo app so am sorted there.

Seems like a firewall or other items going on in the background. Could also be slow internet so my look to do a ping test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

With windows 10 and 64 bit chrome there is a conflict. Uninstall chrome and load 32 bit version and see if that improves but win 10 is very new so you can go back to old os within a month. Might be a better option.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Do run a speedtest on www.speedtest.net to check if the connection is the issue. As Edge is also affected it looks to be more of a connection issue at this point. I'd also run a Windows Update (Search Start Menu for windows Update). Windows 10 should check if there are newer network drivers and download the latest ones which may sort the issue.
    Another thing are you using Wifi or wired? If using wifi could you try a wired connection to see if there is much improvement?

Nick

Cheers Yoyo

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4720842338.png

Been a few years since I had to do this, there is one other user on the net and two not on when this test was done. Navan supposed to have 5 to 8 Mb broadband, is this saying otherwise?

Another test with everyone off it bar me
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/4720868883.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Give your ISP a call and report a fault.

Will do

Moved the wifi box to directly next to the eircom incoming box and gave Eircom a call after doing a test with no one in the house at 4 pm. Test at that time indicated 3.15 mb which is what eircom could also see. Eircom said the area exchange can get congested bringing the speed down although sometimes switching off and on the box can reset issues where it has gone slow. They also said my contract is for 5mb (thought it was 8mb so must look into this).
    Anyway this evening it is behaving itself and showing 4.37 mb,
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/4725912919.png
    will keep an eye on it but don't know if changing providers will do any good, same line

Advertisement