Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrieving data from broken USB

Options
  • 15-04-2012 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone here can offer me some help/advice. I have a broken USB stick, not sure what happened to it as it wasn't me that broke it but the metal bit is all bent and neither my or my housemate's laptops will recognise it. There's some very important data on it, and while I have a hard copy, it's 315 pages long (so I don't exactly have the time to type it all up again) and I was stupid enough not to back it up from the USB :( Can anyone recommend someone or somewhere I can take it to and hopefully get the data retrieved, or is there anything I can do myself??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

There are DIY solutions if you wanna risk it
    http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/1033464.htm

If it's properly snookered though, then I'm afraid you're probably talking the expensive clean room route to try and recover the data.

Mind you, if you know someone with a good scanner, you could always run some ocr software on your hard copies and make up the document that way.
    Quite painful and tedious I know, but would save you forking out some major dosh on some recovery company. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Thanks. I know absolutely nothing about computers so I'd be a little wary of doing it myself, unless I was sure (and it was easy!:o). I don't mind spending if it means I get the data back , though I'm sure there's a price where I'd just go fcuk it, I'll type the 315 pages up, but the main concern is just getting the data retrieved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Recuva or similar tools. http://www.piriform.com/recuva

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you give your location, people will be able to tell you where to go.

As it's the connector that's damaged, recommending software recovery tools isn't really the advice the OP needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Missed that bit. You are entirely correct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If the connector has become physically dislodged you'll need someone who is good at soldering to resolder it, not that big a soldering job.

Nick

Yeah, it';s the actual device itself that appears to be broken. I live in Dublin if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you were in Cork, I'd happily solder on a new connection for you. If you go to Maplins in Dublin, you'll be able to buy a replacement connector for less than 3 euro. Bring it, and your broken drive to any TV repair shop and they'll solder the new connector on for you.

damselnat wrote: »
    Yeah, it';s the actual device itself that appears to be broken. I live in Dublin if that helps?

A computer repair shop or even one of those mobile repair shops may be able to do it for you. Flash memory wouldn't require a clean room setup so it seems that it is merely a job of re soldering the USB connector into place. This is best case scenario, but it sounds like that is what happened in this instance.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Nick is probably right Its probably one of the 4 pins connect to the board that has broken. I had to repair one this weekend for a Girl that sat on it. Thankfully it was too badly damaged and It was a 10min job.

Just be sure you give it to someone that knows what the are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rjoleeny

First connect your usb drive to the computer.
    Then download a usb drive data recovery software
    And then use this recovery tool to scan the usb drive and all lost data will come back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Rjoleeny wrote: »
    First connect your usb drive to the computer.
    Then download a usb drive data recovery software
    And then use this recovery tool to scan the usb drive and all lost data will come back
    As has been said already that is wrong. The Op's problem is a hardware issue and not lost data.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

having just read this thread I'm wondering if there would be a similar solution to a memory-stick- like ATRAC walkman that I have. It seems to have a USB connection that no longer works, properly at least.
    It no longer reads on computers, so i've been unable to edit the music contents recently.
    Since it charges through the USB connection and still gets a charge in this way I'm thinking it can't be totally destroyed but have been frustrated by the inability to edit.
    So now wondering if I could get a new USB connector and get it soldered.
    It does still play ok, you just can't get at the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Stevolende wrote: »
    having just read this thread I'm wondering if there would be a similar solution to a memory-stick- like ATRAC walkman that I have. It seems to have a USB connection that no longer works, properly at least.
    It no longer reads on computers, so i've been unable to edit the music contents recently.
    Since it charges through the USB connection and still gets a charge in this way I'm thinking it can't be totally destroyed but have been frustrated by the inability to edit.
    So now wondering if I could get a new USB connector and get it soldered.
    It does still play ok, you just can't get at the contents.
    Possibly there is one broken connector. Open it up and have a look. It may be easy to bridge or solder the connection.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, I think I will take it into a computer repair shop and see if they can do anything. Would anyone be able to recommend any?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

damselnat wrote: »
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies, I think I will take it into a computer repair shop and see if they can do anything. Would anyone be able to recommend any?

www.wysdom.ie

Talented bunch of lads there. One of the guys is Indian and used to build motherboards or something back in India so he's really good with soldering.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Possibly there is one broken connector. Open it up and have a look. It may be easy to bridge or solder the connection.

Thanks, will see about taking a look when i get it together

• Registered Users Posts: 1 champ101

When i plug in my USB it say 'Your device is ready to use' and 'Device driver software installed successfully on the bottom right of the screen. But the USB just keeps flashing and wont open up.
    I have information on this regarding my final year thesis and would appreciate if some has any suggestions

champ101 wrote: »
    When i plug in my USB it say 'Your device is ready to use' and 'Device driver software installed successfully on the bottom right of the screen. But the USB just keeps flashing and wont open up.
    I have information on this regarding my final year thesis and would appreciate if some has any suggestions

Right click on the My computer Icon -> Manage -> Disk Management. If you see the flash drive right click on it -> Assign a Drive letter and it should then appear under my computer

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

also you might have better luck if you boot from a Ubuntu cd as it is better at picking up faulty drives than Windows

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

If your dublin any of them chinese repair shops will do it for you.

Advertisement