Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solid fuel boiler stove problem

Options
  • 07-02-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

We have recently had a solid fuel boiler stove fitted. it has taken a while to get used to it. It is heating the radiators but our problem is it isn't heating the water properly. We have had the plumber back but he cant seem to sort it and now he seems to have give up on us!

It is a big boiler stove and we use coal wood and turf it it. It heats the room well and then we have some radiators on in the house and it heats the house reasonably well. The water is really hit and miss though and it takes ages to get even warm water ( 5-6 hrs ) & we never seem to get hot water. We start it at 2p.m and we just arent getting hot water, or even warm water until about midnight. i thought that we should get hot water first, b4 the rads. Can anyone give us any clue what the problem might be. I am just not sure if we are doing something wrong or the plumber has done something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Ask him if there is an injector tee fitted to offer restriction to the pumped circuit.

Also where is the location of the pipe stat that switches on the pump & what temperature is this set to?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

are there 2 or 4 pipes connected to the stove?
    can you post photos of the stove, pipe connections, pipe stat and other bits you can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sarahq1962

Hi, Thanks for the replies.

I think there are 2 pipes connected to the stove. I don't know if an injector tee has been fitted - I will try and ask the plumber if we can get him back. He did come back the other day and did something but has made it worse! We are trying now to get him back but he seems to have run out of ideas to get this sorted.

What does the injector tee do? Could you please explain in relation to the hot water production?

The pipe stat is upstairs in the hot press and we have it set to 55 degrees.

The stove itself is working fine and we are getting heat to the rads but it is the water that is the problem.

I can send photos but I am not sure if I can do it on this site can I? I am a newbie to the site.

Thanks in advance

HI, We did a test today and tried using the oil to heat the water and we found out that the oil is not heating the water either. Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the problem in the light of this? We had the oil on for 2 hrs and it barely heated the water. Before the boiler stove was installed we used to get loads of hot water with the oil in about an hour I think. Thanks, Sarah.

more photos of boiler stove system in hot press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

sarahq1962 wrote: »
    more photos of boiler stove system in hot press.

I can't make head nor tail of those pics. It's very bad workmanship.
    I think you problem might be that you have a leak on your hot water. So as it'd being heated it's leaking away somewhere. Same as having a hot tap partially open all day. Did your plumber check for this

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

I cant make out any plumbing that would be associated with acorrectly installed solid fuel boiler.
    TBH from what I see in the photos you would really need someone who knows the correct way to connect solid fuel boilers to call and have a look at it

Advertisement