Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Shot - "Lets close Dublin!!!"

Options
  • 25-09-2007 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

So thismorning i say in traffic for over two hours before turning back home and calling in sick to work - Why?

Because a garda got wounded!

I fail to see even how a garda getting shot justifies closing one of the citys most important arteries for traffic. The road closure resulted in TOTAL gridlock on Malahide Road, Coast Road, Farview, Strand Road, Beach Road, Raheny to name just a few.

I can only imagine the amount of people who were late for important things and what not all because of this. I dont want to sound like a monster but its not like the garda was killed, if this had of been ANYONE other than a guard i know there wouldnt have been HALF a big an issue.

Joe Bloggs gets shot and dies - Small road closure
    Garda gets shot and injured - Close Dublin Northside :eek:

I do wish the guard a speedy recovery, i'm not anti-garda but i just think this could handled a lot better.....

No?

Being the attacking me lol :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

Did you ring in sick or tell your employer the truth? Probably not such a great idea posting on a public forum that you rang in sick lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'm pretty sure if anyone was shot there it would have been closed. And how could anyone know at the time if the garda was going to die or live, get real for a moment, god love you, didn't it work out well for you in the end with a day off work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

There is a difference between Joe Bloggs getting shot, and a Garda getting shot.

If gun toting criminals start getting the idea that it's no big deal to shoot Gardai, then the country is in for a very rocky future.

It is a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If one of those tools in the government were to be shot perhaps then they could see the light of what's actually going on in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

The reason was, the chap who shot the Garda got away, so the Gardai had to close the surrounding areas in order to track him down....I'd say fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

flanzer wrote:
    The reason was, the chap who shot the Garda got away, so the Gardai had to close the surrounding areas in order to track him down....I'd say fair play to them.

That's exactly the reason, most times when someone is shot a body is found and the Gardai arrive well after the incident has occured.

Stupid original post and why is it in "motors"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This has to be the most ridiculous post here ever. The road was closed for a criminal investigation, causing delays, so you turn for home and phone in sick. It could just as easily have been closed due to a major traffic accident, or a fire. Get a grip and perhaps you would be better phoning to tell your employer that the roads are jammed than to lie about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would you rather tell your employer, "The traffic is ****", or tell someone that their husband had been shot by scumbags.

Seriously, grow up and realise that there are more important things than being late for work one day.

If you had any sense at all, you wouldn't even bother commuting in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Welcome to the N7 from Citywest inbound EVERY MORNING.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

prospect wrote:
    Welcome to the N7 from Citywest inbound EVERY MORNING.

...........in fairness if its like that every morning at least you can legislate for that and leave earlier ! We had a girl here in the office who used that as an excuse to be late EVERY morning. Needless to say she doesn't work here anymore !

Anyway, sorry to go off topic. I think this was an unusual case and I think its well worth disrupting things in order to catch a potential killer. The OP should have explained the truth to his/her boss !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

MercMad wrote:
    ...........in fairness if its like that every morning at least you can legislate for that and leave earlier

True,
    Doesn't make it any more pleasent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The road that got closed is a main road. Bad place for a shooting to happen, is all. If a car crashed there, it'd be similair chaos. If a car crashed on a main road in the countryside, also chaos. If a car crashed on a road where there are roads around it, less chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

seamus wrote:

If you had any sense at all, you wouldn't even bother commuting in a car.

Dont forget this is the "motors forum".......... not the "hug a tree while you unicycle to work smelling of Patchouli oil forum " ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hey, just because it's a forum about cars, doesn't mean that everybody has to say good things about them.

What's wrong with a motorbike?

No! Stupid cat. Get.....back.....in....the.....bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

seamus wrote:

What's wrong with a motorbike?

No! Stupid cat. Get.....back.....in....the.....bag

Nothing wrong with motorbikes...........here...:D http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=577

Keep control of your pussy seamus....for god sake !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Very inconsiderate of him getting shot on a main road alright.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I fail to see even how a garda getting shot justifies closing one of the citys most important arteries for traffic. The road closure resulted in TOTAL gridlock on Malahide Road, Coast Road, Farview, Strand Road, Beach Road, Raheny to name just a few.
    QUOTE]

You had to call your employer with bad news today. A senoir garda had to call the garda's wife and family with bad news too. Just puts your problem into perspective now.:rolleyes:

Just imagine that was your wife and the gardai has to make a decision between delaying traffic or doing everything possible to search the vicinity. What would you want?

Is there a reason you couldn't have parked somewhere and gone to any number of Dart stations along the route you mentioned? I assuming the DART was still running.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So thismorning i say in traffic for over two hours before turning back home and calling in sick to work - Why?

I know. Asinine, isn't it? I mean a 77 year-old woman was killed on the Navan Road last Friday and they closed that road, too. Result: complete traffic chaos in the Navan Road-Phoenix Park area. Why couldn't they just drag the injured/killed off the road and onto the footpath and let the important people stuck in traffic get past? Wait until rush hour is over before calling an ambulance and do any investigations at the weekend when it's quieter.

[/sarcasm]

OP: come out from under your covers and grow up. You'll like being an adult.

Mods: Why wasn't this thread dumped/locked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You would think that scumbags with shotguns driving stolen Nissan Almeras would have the decency to shoot people outside of rush hour and off main roads alright:rolleyes:. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Still tonight there are major Gardai patorols around east wall and clontarf, just goes to show ya that criminals wouldnt think twice about shooting a Gardai how does we joe soap's of this world?

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Definitely an award for the dumbest thread ever.

Go for a trip down the local A+E, childrens hospital etc. Meet some people with real problems.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly, (speaking for myself) the thread has been left open so others can point out to the OP (undercoverguy) that their post was really really really stupid.
    Secondly, I didn't post for a while because I waited for the OP to come back and respond to the posts. My own opinion is that all serious incidents get a full level of garda technical examination and if this involves closing a road then so be it.
    The fact was that a garda who was making your commute easier got shot whilst doing his job. I wonder does the OPs job involve them risking their life in similar circumstances. Once the garda went down, there were two issues to be catered for and both of these were more important than someone sitting in their car picking their nose whilst listening to Ian Dempsey. The first of these issues was to look after the injured garda and technically examine the scene. The other issue was that two armed people were driving around the area so raodblocks needed to be set up quickly. As they had no problem shooting a garda at close range then you meant a lot less to them!
    Imagine it was someone close to you that was shot. Would you have been happy if the gardai didn't seal off the scene properly? Would you have been happy knowing that nothing was done to try and catch them?
    FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I can only imagine the amount of people who were late for important things and what not all because of this. I dont want to sound like a monster but its not like the garda was killed, if this had of been ANYONE other than a guard i know there wouldnt have been HALF a big an issue.

I do wish the guard a speedy recovery, i'm not anti-garda but i just think this could handled a lot better.....

No?

Being the attacking me lol :cool:

This person has become the 1st member of my ignore list

edit: be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

can we give the OP our own Darwin Award. i know he's still alive. How about an honourable mention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Undercoverguy, I am frankly amazed you started this discussion. I'm sure, if we are honest, everyone sitting in that traffic jam would have had the same thought flash thru their minds but I'm sure most would acknowledge the seriousness of this issue.
    Personally, I hate apathy. I loathe the idea that someone could get shot and Dubliners are rushing to step over their rotting corpse. That notion makes me physically sick to the core and ashamed of 21st century Ireland.

Shooting someone, anyone, is a big deal. Close the damn airports if needs be, because if these scumbags shot an unarmed Traffic Garda, you can bet your ass they will shoot you twice if you were in their way.

TBH I would support any extreme action by the state to catch these vermin and/or prevent future similar incidents, even if it means some small personal sacrifices.

I just can't fathom where you're coming from and if I didn't recognise the username I'd think you were a troll.

Advertisement