Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideal Mini Boiler ongoing problems

• 01-09-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, wondering if I could some more information. I have an Ideal Mini 24 boiler, last year it started to stop and start and I had five plumbers up looking at it all with different opinions of the problem, eg PCB faulty, which I have been told is not the problems, I have had limescale remover into system and the pressure increased and various other messing about. The last fella who looked at system got the radiators to work and I had them working on from Jan until I knocked system off for summer, but now when I turn on the boliler it ignites for about a minute then stops while a green light flashes, but does nothing elses. Got a guy in today who said it was the heat exchanger he felt water was going into boiler but there was some blockage stopping it leaving and the build up of hot water was causing the safety switch to turn off the system. He felt there was not huge point in replacing exhanger as its expensive and I would probably have ongoing problems and best just to replace boiler. He gave me price for new boiler for 1,800. Now I nearly passed out, cause I really really dont have that money but I would get a loan to cover it if I thought this would be the end of the problems. But just seems weird the boiler stops igniting after about 10 secs doesnt seem long enough to heat water to the degree a safety switch goes and also any ideas how much an exchanger would be, Have to say the limescale in my area is unbelievable so maybe the whole boiler is wrecked from it and a new boiler is needed, Any advice would be really appreciated I cant go through another winter in ice cold its to miserable. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭heated

Sounds like it might be a problem with the flame detection which would not be an expensive fix unless it's the PCB, but this would need to be tested by an RGI. A good RGI should be able to identify exactly what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 insu1

http://www.gasparts.ie/boiler-spares/ideal/ideal-mini-s24.html

might give you a rough idea of prices - you have to get someone qualified to diagnose and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MissusMe

Thanks for the responses, the PCB board is ok according to a few of plumbers who checked it for me, the last guy who checked out the boiler was experienced with the Ideal mini's and he was the one who recommended replace it. I have had two RGI people out but they not getting the problem sorted, the expense is piling up and still not fixed. The last guy who said I should replace boiler told me to feel a pipe insider the boiler which he said fed the water into heating section and he said he knew there was a blockage because there was no hot water coming out the other side of heating section, but when I felt the water feed pipe it was warm which kinda made me question his diagnosis. Not sure if anyone can give info on this but thank for any thing.

It is difficult to be of further assistance to you without inspecting the boiler. There is conflicting information and you seem to be talking about two different situations, problems you had last year up to January when the system was fixed and worked until you switched the heating off for the summer, and the problems you are experiencing now since you turned back on the heating. These issues may not be connected. If as I assme is the case the gren led flashes rapidly (4 pulses per second) which is the fault condition on this boiler, this indicates a number of possible faults. There is a defined set of fault finding steps to be followed to identify exactly which one is the cause of your problem. Perhaps one of the regular RGI contributors on here is located near to you and may be able to arrange a call-out.

Thanks Heated, I think its the same problem, when the Boiler first starting causing problems, it was doing what its doing now, basically firing up and stopping and the rads were only half heating, then it was flushed and topped up then the fella who wanted 750 to put in new PCB board left the radiators were not even half heating I got another plumber who removed a part of the heating I think upstairs in house but he managed to get the heating going, although the boiler sounded like a the fan was whining, but it got me through the winter, but when I turned on heating seems to be sim problem but lot worse in that boiler firing and stopping, I cant check the boiler now to see if as you mentioned Heated re the flashing green lights cause last plumber took fuse out from switch as he said the boiler could be dangerous if the safty mechanisim was to fail... great boiler is three foot from me head while I am in kitchen doing anything and I have young kid, can anyone recommend an honest qualified experienced heating expert please, am bit reluctant to take the new boiler route, its a pretty new house only over six years old seems bit mad replacing boiler at this point. Thanks.

• Advertisement

You will need to post your general location, some of the regulars on here may PM you to arrange a call-out.

Sounds like you may have a number of issues going on with your system. If the boiler was indeed firing up but not staying alight, then you probably won't have the fault signal I mentioned but in any event this would only suggest an another set of diagnostic steps to assertain the problem/s.

Ok thanks, I live in Balbriggan, North County Dublin.

MissusMe wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I live in Balbriggan, North County Dublin.
    Johnnyk would be a townie of yours;)

How do I get his details?? thanks. Although I rang everyone in my area and a few came out but the rest couldnt.

• Advertisement

Hi yep PM him there, but did try him before but was busy hopefully he's the man. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wardy79

Just seen this post and its identical to the problems I'm having with the same boiler, its turning into a money pit :( I've had my system flushed out, yearly services but the boiler still packs in about twice a year.I'm in my house 5 years now and I have replaced the heat exchange 2 years ago but seems like its gone again as the boiler cuts out after 10 secs or so and starts making loud banging noise.

Its actually my 2nd boiler in this space of time as in the first year of moving in we had terrible probs with boiler and builders were on site in the estate and we got it changed but they have since gone bust.

Is the ideal mini just a bad boiler ? My next door neighbour has one and never a problem or is there a bigger underlying problem in my heating system, a leak maybe that is fecking everything up ?????

Tks any info greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Depending on which mini it is , some have a main pcb and an ignition pcb . Common problem with them is igniting and going out after ten seconds as flame isn't rectified , this is always been down to the ignition pcb being faulty any time I've come across it . However , the banging noises your getting are a completely different story and are generally down to a blocked heat exchanger. Could also be the pump , which in theory means the boiler shouldn't fire at all as is the point of the flow switch , but I've seen it happen to a few baxi systems with a similar set up . And I've also replaced a few pumps in the minis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wardy79

Thanks for the reply mate.my boiler is the s24. I have a rgi calling today for a look today so hopefully its nothing major :( at this stage I'm considering a stove with back boiler and using this as my main source of heating the house and keeping the gas just as a backup to be used sparingly because it is constantly giving us problems and can't keep up with it money wise !

I'll post comment when I get sorted and know what the issue is, tks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

wardy79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply mate.my boiler is the s24. I have a rgi calling today for a look today so hopefully its nothing major :( at this stage I'm considering a stove with back boiler and using this as my main source of heating the house and keeping the gas just as a backup to be used sparingly because it is constantly giving us problems and can't keep up with it money wise !

I'll post comment when I get sorted and know what the issue is, tks again
    Well did you get it sorted I have the same boiler and it been giving all sorts of trouble over the last year I'm thinking of just replacing it all together.

Advertisement