Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil gas boiler

Options
  • 06-02-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I have an oil gas boiler with a riello pump.
    I've noticed that the boiler cuts out intermittently (~45sec) and then re-fires.
    I'm guessing this is not normal.
    We got 500L on the 7th last month but I dipped it earlier and it is nearly gone. Is the intermittent firing causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Most lightly a solonoid coil, or flue gas getting recirculated from combustion chamber to the burner. Try taking the cover front door off the boiler casing see does it run for longer, either way you will need to get a boiler technicians out to repair and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

The flue had its top cover (stopping things falling down it) blown off a while ago. Its an old boil, there is a top 'lid' and then on the bottom a riello burner.

Would the constant restarting burn more fuel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pat35

GodlikeRed wrote: »
    The flue had its top cover (stopping things falling down it) blown off a while ago. Its an old boil, there is a top 'lid' and then on the bottom a riello burner.

Would the constant restarting burn more fuel?
    Yes,alot more fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pat35

How many hours a day do you run the boiler for?,It is certainly worth thinking about upgrading to a new condensing boiler.very efficient on fuel

Ok. Do you reckon I could replace the solenoid myself if that is the problem, (I have reasonable handyman skills).

Not on much, usually 3-4 hrs during the weekdays. Weekends could be 6hrs each day. That would be max.

What are ye looking at for a condenser boiler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

The problem with the boiler short cycling on/off is over use of the control box and burner parts, realisticly reducing it life span.

The oil consumption would be increased due to short cycling as it struggles to reach optimal firing temp.

Replacing any burner part isent best practice for a diy'r, apart from the fact you'd need to know the 10 steps to safe isolation of the 230volt connection, there's also the matter of 10,000volts generated through the transformer or spark generator. If you shoud alter the combustion settings you've a potential risk at your door step.

A repair shouldn't run much more than €100.

Cheers guys.

Anyone wanna recommend (pm) a reputable person to contact to for repair?
    We've had our fair share of cowboys in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

GodlikeRed wrote: »
    Cheers guys.

Anyone wanna recommend (pm) a reputable person to contact to for repair?
    We've had our fair share of cowboys in the past.

what area are u in

Advertisement