Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-04-2012, 18:19   #16
dr.fuzzenstein

Also, my guess is to replace brake fluid, you'd have to crack open the brake hose pipe at the caliper, otherwise you can suck out and top up the reservoir as often as you like, but you won't get the nasty old sh*te out from the brake lines.
If you don't have an easybleed toy, you will need a mate and a lot of patience.
undo nut, press brake, redo nut, lift brake, undo nut, press brake, redo nut, lift brake, about 35 times. For each corner.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-04-2012, 21:52   #17
jayok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.fuzzenstein View Post
...If you don't have an easybleed toy, you will need a mate and a lot of patience.
undo nut, press brake, redo nut, lift brake, undo nut, press brake, redo nut, lift brake, about 35 times. For each corner.

Oh yeah - I was looking at the sealey VS820. Seriously though I normally suck out the old brake fluid from the reservoir first then then fill with fresh fluid and clear the lines. It means less of the old fluid to bleed. That's what I use the syringes for.
Thanks from:
06-04-2012, 22:10   #18
dr.fuzzenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayok View Post
Oh yeah - I was looking at the sealey VS820. Seriously though I normally suck out the old brake fluid from the reservoir first then then fill with fresh fluid and clear the lines. It means less of the old fluid to bleed. That's what I use the syringes for.
Ah, I see, so you're still getting rid of the old, nasty stuff from the lines. Very important.
Had an old Merc once and the brake fluid in the lines was 20+ years old. Came to roundabout, pressed brakes, nothing.
Had to pump the brakes several times to get them working.
Retained moisture in the fluid can boil, leaving you with steam, effectively gas in the lines and gas compresses. Bad idea in a hydraulic system.
It always amaze me how every garage always tells me about brake fluid, coolant, gearbox oil, diff oil, power steering fluid "Nah, that stuff never needs changing, it will last forever and an unlimited amount of miles". Because they can't be arsed changing it and still charge the same for a service.
(2) thanks from:
14-04-2012, 13:08   #19
Redisle

Nice Syringe for this purpose on Ebay if you are still looking OP..

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Big-Syringe-P...item3a67df7dd6
15-04-2012, 16:32   #20
jayok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisle View Post
Nice Syringe for this purpose on Ebay if you are still looking OP..

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Big-Syringe-P...item3a67df7dd6
Thanks for that. I actually went into Talbot St to http://www.murrays.ie and managed to buy two syringes for the purpose (50cl) for €0.45c each. 100 powder free gloves were €6, so I'm sorted!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion