Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Max Verstappen passed his driving test today as he turned 18. The article mentined that he would now be allowed to drink the champagne if he ever makes it on the podium. It's so strange that he would be allowed to drive a Torro Rosso but not allowed to drink the champagne if he drove it particularly well.

is it not 16 in holland and a lot of other countries anyway, why is 18 the rules is f1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Gintonious wrote: »
    "improving emissions" should NEVER be associated with F1, ever.

Honestly, the FIA is run by a shower of **** who couldn't run a bath. Absolute joke.

I read a comment on here one day that "noise is wasted energy". Let the planet savers fook off and watch Formula E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it should, just not on the track. By all means invest in reducing the ridiculous amount of kit and personnel flown / ferried and driven all over the world. Far far bigger impacts available here then cars on the track.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

it should, just not on the track. By all means invest in reducing the ridiculous amount of kit and personnel flown / ferried and driven all over the world. Far far bigger impacts available here then cars on the track.

I agree that F1's carbon footprint is much bigger off the track than on it - but nobody cares about what happens off the track unfortunately. They have to be seen to be making some sort of effort towards a greener future, however tiny an effort it really is.

Those non-'planet saver' folks would want to hold onto their old season review dvds, the future is always going to head towards Formula E or something like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

is it not 16 in holland and a lot of other countries anyway, why is 18 the rules is f1?

Because at the rate things were going there would have been 14 year olds in the cars soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Isn't McLarens factory carbon neutral now?

The issue comes partly from the freight and its transportation. But what can F1 do for that? Aviation emissions are what the killer is, so thats what needs to be addressed, and that applies overall as well with this clampdown on emissions. Cars do **** all damage compared to the planes in the sky at any one time.

I am digressing a bit with this but its what bothers me so much with the eco-friendly approach to cars and climate change. Even making cars on the road hybrid or electric is putting lipstick on a pig when it comes to impacts on the O-Zone. So making Formula 1 "green" is ridiculous.

Not only are they not really that green, they are ridiculously expensive to develop and to run. What kind of use is that to a consumer car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Gintonious wrote:

I bet people said the same thing about seat belts

I totally disagree. Doing more with less fuel is a big part of the future of car manufacturing. It's completely at home in F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I totally disagree. Doing more with less fuel is a big part of the future of car manufacturing. It's completely at home in F1.

This, it's the technology and research that get transferred to road cars that could have a huge knock on effect... but does take years and that's not to say they haven't gone too far with it and hurt the racing

But I don't think the blame for the current state of f1 can be blamed solely on the engines.

But I don't think the blame for the current state of f1 can be blamed solely on the engines.

Why do F1 fans spend so much time whinging about the current state of racing? I started following the sport in 98 and it has been a consistent part of the coverage. Every year people don't like the lookof the new cars. But so many people love the cars from 5-10 years ago.

Is there a myth out there that in the 70s and 80s there was nothing but balls out racing where anyone could win and there were no such thing as backmarkers? Nobody ever ran away with a title back then. No mechanical failures either I suppose. It's like when Bill O Reily talks about the good old days of America. A time when everyone in the neighborhood was white and Christian and wives didn't mind being slapped around and non - whites enjoyed doing the menial jobs.

Does it ever occur to the whingers that they are looking at highlights of that era? The point is that there are 2 weeks between races and the news sites need to say something. Whinging is better for them than saying ' nothing to report' or 'we don't have enough information to do anything other than speculate'.

I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy watching F1.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote:
    Not only are they not really that green, they are ridiculously expensive to develop and to run. What kind of use is that to a consumer car?

What about obvious tech like automatic gears, turbo engines and ABS?

HighLine wrote:
    I read a comment on here one day that "noise is wasted energy". Let the planet savers fook off and watch Formula E.

Maybe people who want noise should fook off and watch an air show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

F1 don't use abs or auto boxes.

mickdw wrote:
    F1 don't use abs or auto boxes.

No they don't use it now. They did developed the tech and used it in the past. It trickled down to road cars which is being taken for granted in the post I quoted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Jenson Button has signed for McLaren for the 2016 season.

http://planetf1.com/news/mclaren-confirm-button-for-2016/

A bit surprised to be honest but I'm glad he has a drive. I just hope they can provide him with a competitive car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Manor signed a deal for Mercedes engines, and also transmission and suspension from Williams

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34410873

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The issue comes partly from the freight and its transportation. But what can F1 do for that?

They could have more races in Europe at tracks that people like...
    But they actually plant trees to offset the carbon emissions and have been doing since the late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

SamAK wrote: »
    Revised calender and rules clarifications :

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/9/f1-2016-calendar-revised-cars-louder.html

Anyone else sick of the finale being in Abu Dhabi? Would much prefer last race to be in Brazil.

Smacks of Bernie pandering to his oil-soaked chums in the Middle East.

Hmm, Baku or Le Mans, Baku or Le Mans?

Obviously, it'll have to be Baku, what with it being a traditional street circuit where the drivers race on the same circuit as all the greats of F1 have and conquer the challenge of driving for an entire 80-odd minutes ....., nope, it can f**k off and stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Hmm, Baku or Le Mans, Baku or Le Mans

Le Mans? Was that actually under discussion!?

doubledown wrote: »
    Jenson Button has signed for McLaren for the 2016 season.

http://planetf1.com/news/mclaren-confirm-button-for-2016/

A bit surprised to be honest but I'm glad he has a drive. I just hope they can provide him with a competitive car.

Surprised he stayed or surprised McLaren retained him? :)

He's nothing to lose by staying the extra year and gets an extra $5m in his pocket. Would be nice to see them fighting closer to the front next year but that would be some turn around if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

SamAK wrote: »
    Le Mans? Was that actually under discussion!?

Don't be daft. How would Le Mans add to Bernie's world tour of dodgy regimes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Surprised he stayed or surprised McLaren retained him? :)

He's nothing to lose by staying the extra year and gets an extra $5m in his pocket. Would be nice to see them fighting closer to the front next year but that would be some turn around if it happens.
    Delighted.
    He can now go into next year. If car is as expected off the pace, he can announce his retirement early on and go out in style celebrating his last Silverstone, monaco etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The different types of rear wing Mercedes are using this year:

Mercedes-Piola-Heckfluegel-Animation-Formel-1-2015-fotoshowImage-464f1654-898849.jpg

Jordan 191 wrote:
    The different types of rear wing Mercedes are using this year:

Lovely picture. Great detail in the monkey seat from high to low down force circuits. There's a tiny curve in the lower beam of the wing on the right (presumably the Monza wing)

On a related point, have Ferrari sorted out their wind tunnel? They were bringing aero parts which just weren't working because something in the wind tunnels was wrong. They seem to have gotten their act together this year though.

I bet people said the same thing about seat belts

Thats what Formula E is for. Cars on the road in the near future will rely more on electricity than fuel, thats the direction the industry is going.

ABS was developed for aeroplanes, and I believe for use on cars it was used by Chrysler in the 70's sometime, so thats not an F1 magic bullet.

Turbo charged cars have been around since the 70's as well, so no F1 influence there.
    They could have more races in Europe at tracks that people like...
    But they actually plant trees to offset the carbon emissions and have been doing since the late 90s.

I'm afraid the costs don't make sense for the races to just stay in Europe, its also a global sport so I am in favour of the grid travelling around. And the idea of planting more trees to offset carbon emissions is hilarious to me, and also not a fully viable way to tackle carbon emissions either. Its actually opposed by environmentalists. Here is an article by David Suzuki about it - http://www.davidsuzuki.org/avocado/issues/climate-change/science/the-problems-with-carbon-offsets-from-tree-planting/

I really don't see the point at all of making F1 cars "green" or "greener". Sure some technology has come from motorsports overall like suspension and DSG transmissions. But we are talking about cars that run every 2 weeks mostly, between March and November, are made from exotic materials that are only found on severely expensive road cars, are air cooled and use a set of tires that cost a couple of grand.

Maybe its the defeatist in me that sees no point of this, as far as I can read, climate change is making a huge impact on the earth which some would see as irreversible. Making multi-million pound race cars go green is polishing brass on the titanic.

I am on a rant lads, I apologize. My coffee just arrived.

In other motorsport related news, haha. Jaime Alguersari has retired at the age of 25 from motorsports, to focus on his career in music.

I find that unbelievable that he has retired, he showed great promise in his time in F1, and RB gave him the elbow with very little reason or notice.

Gintonious wrote:
    Thats what Formula E is for. Cars on the road in the near future will rely more on electricity than fuel, thats the direction the industry is going.

Doing more with less is the way everything is going at the moment. The 70s and 80s were all about gas guzzling, and waste was seen as a sign of affluence. F1 was leading the way back then. Now is a new era and F1 will either keep up, lead the way or become part of the past. I know what I want it to do.
    Gintonious wrote:
    ABS was developed for aeroplanes, and I believe for use on cars it was used by Chrysler in the 70's sometime, so thats not an F1 magic bullet.

Yeah and Leonardo de Vinci invented the helicopter so I suppose the Vietnam War had no influence on helicopter technology either.
    Gintonious wrote:
    Turbo charged cars have been around since the 70's as well, so no F1 influence there.

No influence? Are you playing devil's advocate here or do you actually think that's true? Do you think it's just coincidence that companies who make road cars engines and engine technology are the ones who also make F1 power units?

If there was no relationship between F1 engine tech and road car engine tech, why on earth would they bother? Why wouldn't Microsoft also produce F1 engines? Or any other company who has the resources and could use the PR?

Planting trees and all that guff is just PR. Probably aimed at people who can't don't connect the dots between F1 technology development and road car development.

Doing more with less is the way everything is going at the moment. The 70s and 80s were all about gas guzzling, and waste was seen as a sign of affluence. F1 was leading the way back then. Now is a new era and F1 will either keep up, lead the way or become part of the past. I know what I want it to do.

I am in the sam boat as you then. F1 should be the pinnacle of motorsports, and I guess it still is. The cars are as complex as ever, but I think F1 has lost its way in relation to its direction. There is a push for it to be more eco friendly so they introduce new PU's, but then development is severely limited. Why have F1 lead the way for road cars when they can't develop them openly? It's a bit of a catch 22.
    Yeah and Leonardo de Vinci invented the helicopter so I suppose the Vietnam War had no influence on helicopter technology either.

You've lost me on this one. But ill make a guess that you are implying that F1 perfected ABS or made it better or something to that direction? ABS was developed outside of F1 and hasn't been used in F1 for over 20 years now, so not sure what you're getting at.
    No influence? Are you playing devil's advocate here or do you actually think that's true? Do you think it's just coincidence that companies who make road cars engines and engine technology are the ones who also make F1 power units?

If there was no relationship between F1 engine tech and road car engine tech, why on earth would they bother? Why wouldn't Microsoft also produce F1 engines? Or any other company who has the resources and could use the PR?

Planting trees and all that guff is just PR. Probably aimed at people who can't don't connect the dots between F1 technology development and road car development.

Your missing the point here, the turbo charged engine was around before it was used in F1 or motorsports. Its not an F1 exclusive. Do you honestly think that the turbos used in F1 today, or back in the 70's/80's would be useful in a car on the road?

I have never said that there was no relationship, I was pointing out that the relationship is so disconnected that to the average consumer that the only type of F1 tech that ends up in a road car is in a car with a massive price tag.

Connecting the dots as you put it, between the tech in F1 and road cars or consumer products shows up things like the LaFerrari, McLaren road cars with double clutch gear boxes, road bikes used in the Tour DeFrance that weigh a kilo or so. Seeing a pattern here? The price.

If anything at all is happening, its making F1 cars more like road cars than making road cars like F1 cars.

I am in the sam boat as you then. F1 should be the pinnacle of motorsports, and I guess it still is. The cars are as complex as ever, but I think F1 has lost its way in relation to its direction. There is a push for it to be more eco friendly so they introduce new PU's, but then development is severely limited. Why have F1 lead the way for road cars when they can't develop them openly? It's a bit of a catch 22.

The technology isn't the problem there, it's the testing ban as you rightly identified. It's the teams at the top that won't allow them to bring in cost caps that would allow real competition. Now we have a situation where they have to be seen to reduce costs (testing ban) but not in such a way that would allow real competition and risk the smaller teams being on par. One team on the grid is actually allowed to veto any sporting decision. They get to make the rules, they get money off the top before the pot is divided between the rest of the teams. That's a major impediment to true competition. The top teams get to save money on testing but still maintain their position at the top of the sport.

New engine technology is always expensive when its novel and innovative. without new technology, what would be the point?

I think you have completely missed the point that F1 was great in the 70s and 80s because it was leading the cultural charge. At that time the culture demanded bigger, noisier everything, engines included. Now the demand is for smaller, more efficient, clever everything, engines included. F1 is only relevant if it leads the technological charge of its day. Otherwise it would be some kind of novelty legacy event which would never attract new viewers and would fade into obscurity as it bares less and less relevance to the world.
    You've lost me on this one. But ill make a guess that you are implying that F1 perfected ABS or made it better or something to that direction? ABS was developed outside of F1 and hasn't been used in F1 for over 20 years now, so not sure what you're getting at.

I was saying that F1 has certainly improved those technologies. They take time to trickle down to road cars in usable form but they do trickle down.
    Your missing the point here, the turbo charged engine was around before it was used in F1 or motorsports. Its not an F1 exclusive. Do you honestly think that the turbos used in F1 today, or back in the 70's/80's would be useful in a car on the road?

The tech doesn't need to be fitted to road cars immediately to be relevant. Technological evolution is a slow process but it has to be developed
    I have never said that there was no relationship, I was pointing out that the relationship is so disconnected that to the average consumer that the only type of F1 tech that ends up in a road car is in a car with a massive price tag.

Connecting the dots as you put it, between the tech in F1 and road cars or consumer products shows up things like the LaFerrari, McLaren road cars with double clutch gear boxes, road bikes used in the Tour DeFrance that weigh a kilo or so. Seeing a pattern here? The price.

If anything at all is happening, its making F1 cars more like road cars than making road cars like F1 cars.

They spend millions to develop technology, then they make a cog or a wigit which is lighter, faster, more durable, more functional, more heat resistant, more pliable, more predictable wear rate. Then they find a way to make it more cheaply to the point that they can mass produce them and make them in all shapes and sizes and for completely unrelated purposes. That's technology and that's what F1 does better than any other sport and the developers get to offset the cost of development by advertising their products to a global audience.

Do you really think road bikes would be as technologically advanced without other fields also advancing tech which trickles down to them? The bike that weighs a kilo is expensive but they will find a way to balance weight with durability and sell you that bike and over time that tech becomes common place. It has to be developed for the first time at some point.

War and motor racing. That's how a lot of tech is developed.

And breath... I don't know about you but I feel much better after that rant.
    Thanks

The technology isn't the problem there, it's the testing ban as you rightly identified. It's the teams at the top that won't allow them to bring in cost caps that would allow real competition. Now we have a situation where they have to be seen to reduce costs (testing ban) but not in such a way that would allow real competition and risk the smaller teams being on par. One team on the grid is actually allowed to veto any sporting decision. They get to make the rules, they get money off the top before the pot is divided between the rest of the teams. That's a major impediment to true competition. The top teams get to save money on testing but still maintain their position at the top of the sport.

New engine technology is always expensive when its novel and innovative. without new technology, what would be the point?

I think you have completely missed the point that F1 was great in the 70s and 80s because it was leading the cultural charge. At that time the culture demanded bigger, noisier everything, engines included. Now the demand is for smaller, more efficient, clever everything, engines included. F1 is only relevant if it leads the technological charge of its day. Otherwise it would be some kind of novelty legacy event which would never attract new viewers and would fade into obscurity as it bares less and less relevance to the world.

I was saying that F1 has certainly improved those technologies. They take time to trickle down to road cars in usable form but they do trickle down.

The tech doesn't need to be fitted to road cars immediately to be relevant. Technological evolution is a slow process but it has to be developed

They spend millions to develop technology, then they make a cog or a wigit which is lighter, faster, more durable, more functional, more heat resistant, more pliable, more predictable wear rate. Then they find a way to make it more cheaply to the point that they can mass produce them and make them in all shapes and sizes and for completely unrelated purposes. That's technology and that's what F1 does better than any other sport and the developers get to offset the cost of development by advertising their products to a global audience.

Do you really think road bikes would be as technologically advanced without other fields also advancing tech which trickles down to them? The bike that weighs a kilo is expensive but they will find a way to balance weight with durability and sell you that bike and over time that tech becomes common place. It has to be developed for the first time at some point.

Thanks

Ill reply to this at some point. I do love a good discussion.

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!!!:P

Ill reply to this at some point. I do love a good discussion.

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!!!:P

I look forward to it.

Goodnight

• Advertisement

In terms of leading the technical charge, for the current crop of hybrid tech I think F1 is late to the party, and falls behind the LMP1 cars. I agree that new tech is expensive, and perhaps the manner in which the FIA implemented the rue change was too drastic, I would argue that it was. I think they were onto something with KERS, and how that played a role with gathering the energy that the V8's and the braking brought, which is similar to what a hybrid road car does like a Prius or a Volt.

Im also full on board with the issues that F1 has in running itself. The veto that Ferrari have isn't fair on other teams and this is what creates the imbalance that F1 has now. The PU's are just one of the issues that F1 has right now, it trickles down from there.

I'm would not agree with the bolded part fully. F1 does need to lead a charge to a degree but I don't think it would fade into obscurity. Again I emphasis the gulf between F1 cars/tech to road cars directly. Carbon fibre road cars are not the norm, nor are double clutch seamless gearboxes, or KERS packages that respond in the same way that F1's do, or turbos that spin at 120,000 RPM. What little parts of F1 tech that does trickle down to the consumer is sparse at best or incredibly expensive.

So while it might seem like manufacturers use F1 as some sort of fast forwarding its development for the average Joe on the street, its really not the case as the money they spend on F1 could be better spent on actual developing their true road car RnD budgets. The teams that do benefit more are McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes who are in that bracket of high class vehicles to the consumer. Renault pushed more for these rules when they were being penned, as it related to their consumer base more, and it hasn't really worked out for them. Their very public spat with RB shows this, but they were able to use their success during the V10 and V8 era to sell more cars, but the tech from their F1 team isn't on a Clio or Megan.

Agreed. Tech does need a timeline for it to fully develop, and some of the tech that F1 has improved has eventually found itself onto some road cars. But how long does this take and at what cost overall? I know Ferrari and McLaren use their tech hands on in the P1 and the LaFerrari, but again, we're talking hypercars here, not even supercars.

I think what I can see and gather on this, and that we might agree on, is that F1 can act as a catalyst for technology over all, in the same way NASA and Lockheed Martin do. Take the flappy paddle/semi-automatic/double clutch gearbox as an example. That tech that they used then and how it is now in F1, only appears in really high end cars of today. There are more affordable cars that have paddle shift and are semi automatic, but I think to say that they are F1-tech derived is like saying that my microwave at home is derived from a nuclear reactor.

Thanks

I hope this hasn't taken a personal tone, thats not my intention.

After my rant I can confirm I feel much better also.

With Manor getting Mercedes power I think Pascal Wehrlein might drive for them next year.

I think thats part of the deal, they also have a technical partnership with Williams now.

Manor could really be a team to watch next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Manor could really be a team to watch next year.

And HAAS too, with brand new Ferrari donkeys & all that Ferarri wind tunnel time...they may as well be the Ferrari B team

http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/video/f1-meets-le-mans-sebastien-buemi

Buemi ripping around the short LeMans track. God F1 used to sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭F1 fanatic

With lotus going back to Renault & Redbull/Toro rosso supply problems, the pack is gonna get a good shuffle.

True, I still think Merc will be out in the distance for a long time yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/video/f1-meets-le-mans-sebastien-buemi

Buemi ripping around the short LeMans track. God F1 used to sounds great.
    Wonder if they are interested in reviving the French Grand Prix?

flazio wrote: »

I always wondered why they never used LeMans for it. I don't mean the full track, that would be too big, but the track that MotoGP uses at least. Or an alteration of that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I always wondered why they never used LeMans for it. I don't mean the full track, that would be too big, but the track that MotoGP uses at least. Or an alteration of that as well.

They used it in the 60s, it wasn't great.

On a related point, have Ferrari sorted out their wind tunnel? They were bringing aero parts which just weren't working because something in the wind tunnels was wrong. They seem to have gotten their act together this year though.

They have it sorted now. They used the Toyota wind tunnel in Cologne while work was carried out on the wind tunnel in Maranello.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

flazio wrote: »

I really liked the Magny-Cours track, there were a lot of good races there.

But many people dislike it, and I think the fact that the track is in the middle of nowhere wasn't good for the staff of the teams...

Thidp wrote: »
    I really liked the Magny-Cours track, there were a lot of good races there.

But many people dislike it, and I think the fact that the track is in the middle of nowhere wasn't good for the staff of the teams...

Wasn't that the track Schumi won his 5th title at? I remember one of his races there Brawn gambled on changing to a 4 pit stop strategy with Michael driving quali laps to make it work and grab the win. Awesome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Wasn't that the track Schumi won his 5th title at? I remember one of his races there Brawn gambled on changing to a 4 pit stop strategy with Michael driving quali laps to make it work and grab the win. Awesome stuff.

Yeah, Schumacher won the title there in 2002 and this 4-stop race was in 2004.

Amazing race, also because Barrichello and Trulli were in a big fight for 3rd, Rubens overtook him in the last lap, in the last corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I always enjoyed the races from Magny Cours but as we all know it's business not quality of races that decides whether a track stats on the calander or not, I mean Baku? WTF?

If I recall correctly the Magny Cours management had a falling out with Bernie and the French laws banning tobacco advertising than the rest of Europe at the time. As a result there was no political impetus either within F1 or France to find an alternative venue for the French GP and Germany got a second GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭tigerboon

It's too short. It's also a fairly boring circuit as it wouldn't include most of the famous Le Mans landmarks. They would need to develop a new circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

tigerboon wrote: »
    It's too short. It's also a fairly boring circuit as it wouldn't include most of the famous Le Mans landmarks. They would need to develop a new circuit.
    Essentially the French version of the Nurbergring.

Sergio Perez driving a BRM at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez track in Mexco City. The same car was driven by Pedro Rodriguez.

0288763BQIv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

^^ Stunning looking car

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭F1 fanatic

Bet it sounds great too

• Advertisement
Advertisement