Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haunted House on Washerwomans Hill?!?!

Options
  • 12-03-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

If anyone else knows the house I'm talking about.... its close to the MET office in Glasnevin. There's a new small apartment development with some hoarding around it, and right beside it is a very, very old house.

It looks abandoned, the downstairs window is boarded up with wood, and the upstairs window looks smashed, with the old & dirty curtains blowing in and out with the breeze. The door is a green wooden one, with glass in the top half of it, and a wire mesh over the glass.

Anyway, I was driving by yesterday at about 17.10 and I happened to glance over at this old house. There was an old woman looking out through the glass in the front door!

She looked in her 70's - 80's and was wearing a headscarf, your typical 'Irish-Granny' sort of look.

Was I seeing things? Does someone still live there? I drove by again this morning on the way in to work and there was no sign of life.... Anyone else know anything about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dublinreject

Oooooooo i love a good ghostly story!! i'll be checking back to see if anyone has the 'history' on this !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

im dying to hear bout it too!!! You should post this in the paranormal section. They'll know something!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Possibly a homeless person seeking shelter .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I know the house your talking about... Yes there is an old lady that still lives there, I would say she is about 90. I used to go to a sports club every thursday and we would run by!! She was always standing in the door way. She looked like a ghost then, 15 yrs ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

oohhhh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Kieo

oh.... i be going for a drive tomorrow to have a look now:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Aye, I know the house in question and don't think there's anything paranormal, just an old lady living in a run down house...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

That house has two elderly sisters living in it. There was a brother too, but he died a couple of years ago. One of them goes out every day food shopping, the other never goes out. They do not accept any outside help, but the public health nurse and the parish priest locally are aware of them The conditions are dreadful in there, but at least one of them has all her marbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Jaysus i was scared by that face 15 years ago. Cant believe she's still alive. its an old shop isnt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

There's actually someone living in it? It's practically a ruin. Thats a terrible way to live, I wonder are they scared or wary of the outside world to allow anyone to help them. I don't think there's any electricity, I'd drive by there on a fairly regular basis, can't remember ever seeing lights on.. dunno if they'd have running water or anything. It's a shame that they'r not been looked after a little better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

If it the house i am thinking about, the old lady's used to run a shop there.
    I was in it once, years ago, and it reminded my of the shop in The League of Gentlemen...... A Shop for locals....I wasn't welcome.....I am a local....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Loxosceles

I used to live in Addison Park and whenever I walked down to the Botanics I'd pass it by wondering how the heck anyone with half a brain wouldn't refurbish it, because it's so big that it would have easily sold during the height of the tiger for 4 million or more. It was the only boarded up ruin I saw on that road, the rest of them are mansions. I thought that it was in probate with no one to inherit it, I didn't know anyone actually lived in it! Ew, freaky!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Loxosceles wrote: »
    I used to live in Addison Park and whenever I walked down to the Botanics I'd pass it by wondering how the heck anyone with half a brain wouldn't refurbish it, because it's so big that it would have easily sold during the height of the tiger for 4 million or more. It was the only boarded up ruin I saw on that road, the rest of them are mansions. I thought that it was in probate with no one to inherit it, I didn't know anyone actually lived in it! Ew, freaky!!!
    i think you might be thinking of a different house.
    there is a boarded up house on the road leading to the botanics but the one they are talking about is the house across the road from the car dealership beside the washerwomans restaraunt.
    I didn't think anyone was living there until I read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone got pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

There are two women living in that house. One is called Betty Kelly the other is called Patty Kelly. They have a combined nickname "smelly nelly". They are mentally ill. They have no electricity, and we are wondering if they have running water. They are seen to throw out a bucket of smelly liquid early every morning onto the path outside the house. Its believed to be piss. There was a brother living there, he died and was left in the house by the sisters. He had to be removed later.

Aparently they are squatters and technically dont own the shop. Although their parents did run the shop. The two women went mad after their mother died. The reason its all bordered up and in ruin, is because knackers keep walking by and smashing the place up. Homeless people have tried to kick the door in to sleep there only to find two crazy women. The Gaurds and corporation are there a lot to check on them. She doesn't like the postman or anybody coming near the house. Who could blame her. You can sometimes see a load of rats running around aswel.

Its kinda creepy but it ain't haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭VG31

Sorry for bumping such an old topic but I have some things to add.
    Maybe a mod could move this to the Dublin City forum, it may be of more interest there? Thanks.

That house used to be a shop. The poster above is correct, the women who lived there were called Betty and Patty Kelly. They didn't own to house but since they lived there so many years, squatter's rights meant they couldn't be evicted.

Patty Kelly apparently never left the house and spent a lot of her time staring out the window in the front door. Betty Kelly used to to get the 19 bus into O'Connell Street. There she would often dump her rubbish in a bin there. She was very slow and frail; she used to take a very long time to walk to short distance from the house to the bus stop at the Met Office. She was dreaded by the bus users as she took ages to get on the bus. She must have very rarely washed as the smell on the bus when she got on was terrible.

There was never any electricity in that house when they lived there. A few years ago one of them fell down the stairs and someone went in to help them. Apparently, the conditions in there were appalling so they were moved to a nursing home. When the house was cleaned out, the people who did it had to wear protective clothing and masks!
    The house has since been renovated.

Patty Kelly died a few years ago and I'm not sure if Betty Kelly is still alive.

I have a drawing from 1942 of the shop and a new picture of it after renovation if anyone's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Where's this house on Streetview?

testicle wrote: »
    Where's this house on Streetview?

Search for 51 Glasnevin Hill.

It doesn't look like that anymore though. I can post a recent picture tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

VG31 wrote: »
    When the house was cleaned out, the people who did it had to wear protective clothing and masks!
    The house has since been renovated.

Patty Kelly died a few years ago and I'm not sure if Betty Kelly is still alive.

I have a drawing from 1942 of the shop and a new picture of it after renovation if anyone's interested.

Pretty sure Betty died a while ago. Remember hearing about it. She was much happier in the home she was placed in.

As for the renovations, a developer padlocked the door a few days after they left. He cleared out the place. It was the guards that wore the protective clothing, not the people clearing out the house. The developer also claimed that he allowed them to live there rent free, which meant that he 'owned' the house. This was false since they had squatters rights. He renovated the house WITHOUT planning permission. Then applied for the planning permission afterwards. Typical developers I suppose.

Anyway house is occupied by someone else now.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

It might be haunted now since the two of them are gone...poor girls, hope they have it better now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I remember her from my childhood, her face would be pressed right up against the glass as we'd walk by,poor oul dear.Another poster mentioned the sister that used to get the 19,she was indeed dreaded by the passengers,she stunk of sh#t god love her.
    Very sad that people still lived like this as recently as the mid nineties.

Very sad that people still lived like this as recently as the mid nineties.

It was only a few years ago that they were moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

VG31 wrote: »
    It was only a few years ago that they were moved out.

yep your correct there,I was referring to when I used to use the 19 bus (now defunct sadly) to get to work.Would have been 96/97.
    Seeing as this is in the paranormal forum,u fine folks might be more interested in another house,about 100 yards up the hill on the same side heading toward finglas beside the met office.It was used as a reform school for boys and apparently some bad sh&t went down in there over the years and some neighbours of mine reckon the place is haunted.
    I havnt heard any detailed stories about the place but the rumours of the place being haunted have been going round for years.

Advertisement