Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruiter asked my opinion on a work colleague who's not that great at his job...

Options
  • 25-02-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Apologies for trying to break the record for the longest title ever... But I'm as imaginative as a dyslexic lemming.

Anyway, I seek the advice and opinions of you wise folk. Recently a recruiter asked me for my opinion on a friend (although not awfully close) who's on the job market (computer programmer), but I don't quite know how to reply. You see, he's a bit rubbish at his job. Not completely rubbish, but not someone I'd even interview myself if I saw his CV land in my inbox.

Here's my dilemma, I don't want to lie and say he's awesome, because it'll bite me in the ass... And I don't want to deny him a chance at an interview either. I also know the recruiter knows we're on the same project... So I can't lie and say "never worked with him"...

So, guess I'm looking for your ingenuity on how you'd answer the question. I was thinking something wishy washy like:

"I haven't had a chance to work directly with him to feel confident to give you feedback, but from what I can tell seems ok."

But that feels a bit too negative.

How would you reply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I went with "He's a complete dips**t". Seemed less negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Heskey1971

That recruiter may not know it but your friend could sue him for every penny he has,and win.
    He broke confidentiality by letting you know that the person you know was looking for a job.
    If you like that recruiter,tell him to keep his mouth shut and don't give him any info on that other person or you may end up as a witness in the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

"I would prefer not to offer an opinion."

That's all. Your name may have been offered as reference, but that doesn't mean you have to give one. Oh, and the post about the recruiter being sued for asking an opinion is cobblers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    I don't want to lie and say he's awesome, because it'll bite me in the ass...
    And I don't want to deny him a chance at an interview either.
    I went with "He's a complete dips**t". Seemed less negative.

HA! Smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭patrickc

why is this in BGRH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Heskey1971 wrote: »
    That recruiter may not know it but your friend could sue him for every penny he has,and win.
    He broke confidentiality by letting you know that the person you know was looking for a job.
    If you like that recruiter,tell him to keep his mouth shut and don't give him any info on that other person or you may end up as a witness in the case.

Any recruiter worth his salt will use their contacts and network to check out anyone who he's taking on as a client, as sending on someone who's rubbish will reflect badly on them. With any recruiters I've dealt with, there's no expectation of privacy (your CV will generally have references on it, or they'd have to be supplied on request) when dealing with them. Perhaps for very top-level jobs (where if it was found out that someone was looking to leave it would affect the share price or something like that) you might insist the agent not disclose your identlty to anyone outside of the place you're applying to.

You would have some expection of discretion, though, and ringing a current colleague of the person they're representing to check them out is bad form.

Not sure why this thread is in BGRH, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Opt out, 'company policy is that only hr/direct super/manager can give refs' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Heskey1971 wrote: »

I'd like to be in court that day, I love a judge with a sense of humour.

OP, I've been asked many times for an opinion of someone I've worked with, usually by my new boss but occasionally by a recruiter. I've always thought of it as "do you want this person on your team?" If I've had to carry them because they're lazy, I don't want them, if they're brilliant team players I do want them.
    Don't dis them and don't overpraise them, either way it could come back to bite you. Be clear about what you say , don't leave it ambiguous or open to (mis)interpretation. If you are honest (or if you decline to get involved) you will be doing the recruiter, the candidate and yourself justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

patrickc wrote: »
    why is this in BGRH?

Maybe it's a description of the candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Apologies for my lack of attendance. I have been away on holidays.

As has been asked/mentioned by a couple of people:
    why is this in BGRH?

Because, to be honest, I wasn't looking for serious replies. I am in shock that it did actually get some!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭susanlinda823

I haven't gotten the chance to work with him one to one. But so and so has. Maybe you should ask them ;)

Advertisement