Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i find Asafoetida Powder in Ireland

Options
  • 23-01-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

The title sings the song here. Where can i get Asafoetida Powder preferably in Ireland and even better if it is near Limerick?

I need it fora few recipes I want to try where I cant use garlic and onion and this powder is meant to be a god send.

Also needs to be wheat free!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

In Dublin asafoetida is available in Indian shops in yellow plastic jars (mixed with rice flour I think). Try one in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

I got some in the indian shop down near the milk market, it is in a small yellow pot and mixed with rice flour but unfortunately for you it contains wheat flour. Not sure if / where you could get it in it's pure form in limerick. Think I may have got some years ago from the health food store in the crescent but it was quite a while ago now so I could be confusing it with some other obscure spice. Totall off topic but black salt powder from the indian store is amazing in scrambled tofu - real eggy flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I have bought it in Tesco, you could try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

I will give tesco a go and that indian shop one of the days! Hopefully I find some!

I'm looking for it to give my food a kick as i cant have garlic or onions anymore and my once delicious cooking has become a bit bland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Melena wrote: »
    I will give tesco a go and that indian shop one of the days! Hopefully I find some!

I'm looking for it to give my food a kick as i cant have garlic or onions anymore and my once delicious cooking has become a bit bland :(
    It's a delicious flavour and really does mimic garlic and onions!
    You'll get the best flavour if you lightly fry the powder for a minute or two, then add a few spoons of water or stock and stir, then add it to whatever you're cooking.

It's also called Hing and every Asian food shop should have it. Check for wheat, though, the brand I use is Vandevi and wheat flour is listed as the last ingredient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Spotted this in Sainsburys in Newry yesterday evening - made by Schwartz of all people - interesting thing is that they use rice flour instead of wheat so that should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mariemar***

Melena wrote: »
    The title sings the song here. Where can i get Asafoetida Powder preferably in Ireland and even better if it is near Limerick?

I need it fora few recipes I want to try where I cant use garlic and onion and this powder is meant to be a god send.

Also needs to be wheat free!

Thanks

As someone else said, I also found the kind in the yellow packaging which contains wheat, in the Shan Supermarket on Henry St. I am also wheat sensitive and it doesn't cause any reactions for me, not sure if your reactions are more serious or otherwise.

I know your post is a long time back so hopefully you've found other alternatives by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AddisonD

Celery salt & Garlic salt (or powders) along with Chives are an acceptable alternative if pushed to Asafoetida.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Get to know some Asian people - a girl I knew got real asafoetida sent by her mother from India. It's divine, tons better than hing.

sav1980 wrote: »
    Totall off topic but black salt powder from the indian store is amazing in scrambled tofu - real eggy flavour.

I've been using it for quite some time now and I agree, a scramble is fantastic with black salt.

I adore it but I can imagine some people being repelled. You hardly need any black salt in your recipe for it to have a kick - flavour as well as smell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

kala namak (black salt) is fantastic, you do have that learning curve to just use a tiny amount as it is so strong. My friend was feeding it to her father on their farm, well ex-farm now, in a tofu scramble, he was shocked what he had was not scrambled egg. Just adds that little bit of sulphuric taste needed.

Get to know some Asian people - a girl I knew got real asafoetida sent by her mother from India. It's divine, tons better than hing.

A friend has just brought two packs of the solid brown asafoetida back from India. Gosh it stinks beautifully! He says it’s also sold in Eurasia in Liffey Vally, if anyone here knows them.

The yellow hing doesn’t really cut the mustard.

Advertisement