Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Live - The TV Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Solid first show I thought. Had a giggle at the fun stuff and then the ROG interview was a solid twenty mins or so of quality sports interviewing.

I'd echo the calls for more Ken. His 10 minute free form musings were my highlight of OTB and now on the podcast. How you transfer that to live TV I'm not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

lertsnim wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that. Look forward to next week

Doesn't look like its on next tuesday. Could be on wednesday after champions league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Ireland knocked out of the World Cup tonight, an epic All-Ireland hurling final two days ago, and the main focus of the programme is...rugby.

I can see this being a success ratings wise but it won't appeal to people who tuned into Off The Ball for serious sports content. It's like a cross between Soccer AM, Fantasy Football League, Top Gear, TFI Friday and Noel's House Party.

Early barely featured. He's better than this.

First segment with Sadlier, McConville and O'Rourke was far too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Very good show to start off. Im sure they will get it more polished as weeks go by. Some really funny bits to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Good show to kick off with. Will deffo watch again next week, but there is certainly room for improvement imo.

When they get a guest on (like ROG) that people want to hear from, they should give him some more time. If some of the sillier stuff has to fall by the way side, then so be it. ROG certainly isn't the most captivating of speakers, but people definitely want to hear what he has to say, over and above 30 second sound bites after a game. A show like this could be perfect for that.

Dervla, Richie and Oisin were painful to listen to as guests & nor was what they had to say really relevant to what went on in the world of Irish sports this week. Deffo think some more thought should go into the selection of guests there, especially as it kicks off the show. Also think that the events of the past weekend, be they football, hurling, tennis or whatever related should get more of a shout out over something that planned out 2 weeks ago. The world of sports news moves so quickly these days, new news becomes old news and not all that interesting old news very quickly. I don't have a bias towards one sport over another, but to not mention the AI hurling final that took place a mere 48 hrs ago seems a bit daft imo.

Other than that, it was an entertaining hour of telly.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's not on every week, it's only every now and then after Ireland games..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Went pretty well I thought, usual excellent Eoin interview but really no need for the band at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The interview was great, and Sadlier was engaging as well.

Not enough Ken, and not enough topical discussion on the actual sport events... Nothing on the cracking All Ireland game on the weekend and very little on the Ireland match. Nothing on the FAI's press release about considering Trap's position. Don't see the point of it being live if it's not actually going to focus on live events.

The humour and interaction between the lads is at its best when it's off the cuff and spontaneous, not when it's pre-planned clip reels and games how riffs. It'll be disappointing if this amounts to nothing more than Soccer AM meets Top Gear, because on Off The Ball they proved themselves as some of the top broadcasters in the country. They need to give the audience a bit of credit: we're able for more than just 'the bantz'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Very impressed with the show I have to say. I was expecting it not to work at all if I'm honest, but it really has some potential.

There were problems that should be addressed, mostly just timing (Ken was saying something which was barely audible under the applause, ditto Eoin at one point), the music stings need to be done better, could hardly hear them most of the time. Camera angles were a bit dodgy in parts. A slight reliance on in-jokes.

Those aside though, it was really enjoyable. Murph really amazed me tbh, his stuff, particularly the Celebrity Ads thing was hilarious. Eoin, as usual, was a great interviewer, Ken didn't feature much tbh, maybe that'll change if they're talking more about the Premiership?

I hope they get a variation in guests though. I don't think having McConville or Sadlier on every week would be a good idea. They work on the podcast IMO, but with the style of show they seem to be going for I think they need 3 different guests each week.

So all in all, I really liked it and will definitely be watching next week. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭theGEM

I thought it was very good. Sandler and O'Gara especially. The camera man needs to lose the shakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Must say that was damn good for a first show.

Doing a show like that must be extremely difficult to get right and they damn near nailed it first time out.

Anyone know if the whole thing was live?

It actually seemed a lot more 'seamless' than pretty much any RTE show with a 'live studio audience' that i've seen before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

copacetic wrote: »
    It's not on every week, it's only every now and then after Ireland games..

No it is on every week for the next 3 weeks .

'The four-part series will debut at 10.30pm tonight, while subsequent show will broadcast on Wednesday nights on Sept 18, 25 and Oct 2.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭theGEM

Oh and Ken Earley looks like a baby. Had to check it, born in 1979!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

The first two segments where really good, but challenge Murph should have been killed off when the lads left off the ball. Not enough of Ken, way to much of Murph. If I was Ken I would actually be a bit pissed off by the lack of air time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Hippo wrote: »
    Went pretty well I thought, usual excellent Eoin interview but really no need for the band at the end.

It needed a bit of music in an hour long show like that, plus HG contains former Munster and Ireland rugby player Barry Murphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

stretchdoe wrote: »
    Must say that was damn good for a first show.

Doing a show like that must be extremely difficult to get right and they damn near nailed it first time out.

Anyone know if the whole thing was live?

It actually seemed a lot more 'seamless' than pretty much any RTE show with a 'live studio audience' that i've seen before.

I know when applying for tickets it said audience members had to turn up at 7.30. Not sure how that compares to other live shows but wouldnt seem to leave very long for preshooting stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

A couple of things...

It's on wed nights for the next three weeks. I'm pretty sure we'll have way more soccer & ken as it settles down.

Oisin McConville and Richie Sadlier have really grown on me over the course of the podcasts. I'd be delighted to see them as regulars.

Would like it to be a Friday night show, but longer.

Not 100% sure about the set. Seemed too open, yet a bit crowded.

I enjoyed the O'Gara bit, even though i'm not a huge rugby fan. Taking O'Driscoll from no.1 was very funny.

8/10, but i'm very confident it will only get better.

Edit: really liked the band, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    A couple of things...

It's on wed nights for the next three weeks. I'm pretty sure we'll have way more soccer & ken as it settles down.

Oisin McConville and Richie Sadlier have really grown on me over the course of the podcasts. I'd be delighted to see them as regulars.

Would like it to be a Friday night show, but longer.

Not 100% sure about the set. Seemed too open, yet a bit crowded.

I enjoyed the O'Gara bit, even though i'm not a huge rugby fan. Taking O'Driscoll from no.1 was very funny.

8/10, but i'm very confident it will only get better.

Edit: really liked the band, too.

I'd like to see them do a Saturday night show...

Think Tubridy Tonight (ah back when Tubridy was good...) meets Premier Soccer Saturday (I know RTE don't have the rights to the Prem anymore, but in an ideal world...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭BQQ

At least Ken had a nice shade of lipstick :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I was playing soccer when this was on, is it available online anywere??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'd like to see them do a Saturday night show...

Think Tubridy Tonight (ah back when Tubridy was good...) meets Premier Soccer Saturday (I know RTE don't have the rights to the Prem anymore, but in an ideal world...)

That's the dream. And after xfactor, so i feel better about the world. A sort of antidote to that poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Decent start but definitely needs more of Ken getting cranky and difficult over trivial things. And making ridiculous analogies.

His one on the latest podcast likening Trapattoni's game plan to a hedgehog rolling out onto the motorway and curling up in a ball was classic.

McDevitt - but what about unsuspecting cyclists Ken??

Ken (without missing a beat) - Cyclists aren't allowed on the motorway Eoin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I don't think having an audience is a good idea. It just gets lads having a laugh at silly jokes and it is hard to get a guest to truly engage like you would in a radio interview. Richie Sadlier is on RTE already and while he is ok I don't find him grabbing me either. I think there are too many presenters and for me anyway I just don't enjoy the silly stuff that the tall guy was doing. McDevitt, the guy going light on top, seemed to be a decent interviewer. I think there is a gap there for a serious sports show. I saw George O'Callaghan doing an interview with Shane Long on fecktv - it is on Youtube - and I thought it was very good. It was a skype call but was very interesting and would require much less resources than these guys are requiring.
    This whole OTB thing seems to have been hyped, don't know whether it is justified or not. I can't see too many women being attracted to the format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Here is the Shane Long interview. It is a very simple format but was engaging.

10/10

Really enjoyed that!

Murph is absolutely brilliant but I feel Ken's talents are being wasted way up the back there!

Looking forward to it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jeemojney

wasn't fantasy football aired in the mid to late 90's, and hosted by at least one funny person, this is pure garbage, these boys are deluded, pulls chain

it's like Nighthawks, only worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I enjoyed it anyway. Translated the radio show/podcast pretty well to TV although I think the interviews are a bit more in depth on the radio. Probably felt that they have to keep things moving quickly on TV. Not an easy line to balance between doing serious sports interviews and keeping the show funny and irreverent.

I don't think having an audience is a good idea. It just gets lads having a laugh at silly jokes and it is hard to get a guest to truly engage like you would in a radio interview. Richie Sadlier is on RTE already and while he is ok I don't find him grabbing me either. I think there are too many presenters and for me anyway I just don't enjoy the silly stuff that the tall guy was doing. McDevitt, the guy going light on top, seemed to be a decent interviewer. I think there is a gap there for a serious sports show. I saw George O'Callaghan doing an interview with Shane Long on fecktv - it is on Youtube - and I thought it was very good. It was a skype call but was very interesting and would require much less resources than these guys are requiring.
    This whole OTB thing seems to have been hyped, don't know whether it is justified or not. I can't see too many women being attracted to the format.

I don't even know where to start honestly.
    I don't think having an audience is a good idea.

It's a soccer saturday/top gear sort of show. The audience are valid, it would feel a bit dead without them there, it's easier crack a joke with a willing audience.
    It just gets lads having a laugh at silly jokes and it is hard to get a guest to truly engage like you would in a radio interview.

Yes thats exactly what it is, lads having a laugh...and being VERY entertaining in the process. Tbh the guests engaged quite well with them, Ronan O' Gara who is a notoriously bad interviewee was very candid and as relaxed as I've seen him on TV.
    Richie Sadlier is on RTE already and while he is ok I don't find him grabbing me either.

Richie Sadlier is one of the best Irish pundits out there imo, really like his analysis and respect his opinions more than Dunphy and co.
    I think there are too many presenters and for me anyway I just don't enjoy the silly stuff that the tall guy was doing.

Have you a sence of humour at all? Honestly you are miserable.
    McDevitt, the guy going light on top, seemed to be a decent interviewer. I think there is a gap there for a serious sports show.

Mc Devitt is a fantastic interviewer. The format is perfect, entertaining, engaging, good guests and a top interviewer...sorry they make you laugh along the way that must be awful for you.
    I saw George O'Callaghan doing an interview with Shane Long on fecktv - it is on Youtube - and I thought it was very good. It was a skype call but was very interesting and would require much less resources than these guys are requiring.

Riiiiiight... that Shane Long interview and format is as amateur as it gets and if you'd rather watch that over Second Captains well then Id advise you to turn your telly off and stick to youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

I think fans of the OTB lads are desperate for the show to be a success. While I enjoyed the show on the radio tonights tv version was a poor relation and cringe worthy in too many places. Hopefully it'll improve in time and a different format will emerge IF they are given time.

They took a gamble putting McConville and O'Gara on the first show

jeemojney wrote: »

Sure did. McConville wasn't amazing but really enjoyed O'Gara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Does Murph still do the emigrant shout outs on the regular Second Captains podcast?(only been listening to the football show for the past few weeks)if he does I wouldn't be surprised if it makes an appearance on the this show.

Hopefully next week we hear more from Ken and slightly less quiz stuff from Murph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

hey guys, any ideas for getting a playback of the show from abroad? RTE have rustled the HMA app I payed a yearly sub to.. grrrr

willabur wrote: »
    hey guys, any ideas for getting a playback of the show from abroad? RTE have rustled the HMA app I payed a yearly sub to.. grrrr

I'll be uploading it to YT during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Like having Father Stone and Father Fitzgerald ("I have an awful, dreary, monotonous voice, God help me") on together. Worked out ok though. Loved Rog's dig at Sexton.

Like someone upthread, my favourite bits of old OTB were Ken and Eoin bouncing off each other but I suppose you can't build a tv show round that. Deffo needs more Ken though, but preferably more in a 'wise man' capacity and leave the interviewing to Eoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Good first show but thought the balance was a little too skewed towards laughs rather than more serious discussion. Definitely think it has more potential than anything original RTE has produced in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I've been saying for years that these guys should be on d'telly but they needed some type of vehicle. They're first cap tonight exceeded my expectations. As expected it was hardly perfect, but showed lots and lots of potential.

Definitely gonna watch it again tomorrow on rteplayer as I watched it with a couple of d lads who were chatting over it.

In conclusion, the show looks the business. A1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have you considered applying for the job of Director Of Humour on the show yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Ditch the quiz at the end and spend more time interviewing their guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I enjoyed it, really delighted RTÉ took a punt on something different. I'm not a fan of the Kearn - O - Meter thing really but other than that I thought it was great.

I hope it goes great for them for the rest of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Looking forward to watching this tonight on the rte player. Didn't get a chance to see it last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Must say, I was somewhat sceptical as to whether they would work on TV. My scepticism proved correct. It was a pile of utter ****. Self satisfied crap by a bunch of people who have the collective charisma of an inanimate carbon rod

carbonrod.jpg

I wont be bothering with the remaining 3 shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Dargull wrote: »
    Ditch the quiz at the end and spend more time interviewing their guests.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Dump the quiz and leave the main guest until last and go out on that. Which would give more time for the panel at the start of the show. The interviews were always the priority on radio show/podcasts and the zaniness just the filler between them. They have gone the other way around here. Need to pull it back just a bit, imo. I did enjoy it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,506 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought it was absolutely awful.

I have never listened to the podcast tho but was definitely wondering what all the fuss was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

willabur wrote: »

Just sent you a PM regarding watching the show from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cranky1966

So....

Big fan of Off the Ball and hugely dissappointed when it all went wrong and I miss these guys on the Radio....however, last nights show wasnt good. Not sure if their particular chemistry (as individuals or as a programme format) will transfer to TV based on last nights show. They do deserve a chance in fairness and I agree that we desperately need a good sports show and hopefully they will morph into something better. Maybe stick to their strengths...and cut out the funny games .....cause they were just too cringy....roll on next meeting of Ronan and Wayne McCullough !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Well that was better than I expected, I really enjoyed it and I was surprised how quickly 11.30 crept up. My favourite part was the O'Gara interview, Eoin McDevitt is an excellent interviewer and the whole interview just flowed nicely, you could still see the hurt in O'Gara's eyes from being dropped by Declan Kidney. There were probably too many gimmicky things for my liking, if they could curtail those items and have more in depth interviews and opinioned analysis I feel it would work better. Also they did not really deal with live sporting issues but I would imagine that will come in other episodes. For example a full post mortem of the Ire Aus game, analysis of the Cork Clare game or a Heineken Cup discussion would have gone down brilliantly in my eyes. But that aside I really am looking forward to next week as this type of program was badly needed in Ireland as we love nothing more in this country than talking sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I liked it and I think it will only get better.
    Great interview with O'Gara.

• Advertisement
Advertisement