Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Live - The TV Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Derval looks well in the Dressing Gown :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think it's settled down nicely by now. Could probably do with reducing Challenge Second Captains to every other show (although it's nearly worth keeping it for the Shane Curran bits :-D ).

All in all I really hope there's another series.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I think it's settled down nicely by now. Could probably do with reducing Challenge Second Captains to every other show (although it's nearly worth keeping it for the Shane Curran bits :-D ).

Yeah, it's much more watchable now.

The ratings seem to be up this series (it has been in the RTE2 Top 10 most weeks, unlike last time). Hopefully that's a good sign.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/348-2.html

Well, certainly good numbers for that time slot. Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

I think they'll stick with it. This series is much better than the last one, and with a few more adjustments (maybe stop cramming three people into a sofa) it will be quite good. Happy to see Ken more involved now than he was the last series. I see RTÉ sticking with it long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I would say that quite a few timeshift or watch on RTE Player - I presume neither of those is included in the Aertel audience figures.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That smug look that Murph gave while on Blackboard Jungle is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

I see one of the Second Captains has turned up on the Wallaby team…or should that be the other ways round..

Just saw it. That was a cracking episode, wasn't it? I've been interested in anti-doping since David Walsh's LA Confidential, and thought the discussion on it would be unoriginal and tedious, but it was actually rather good - though quite limited, at times. A question I wish were posed of all athletes is, "Why aren't you more indignant when you have to compete against former drugs cheats?" Success is their livelihood, and athletes are notoriously selfish, yet they are willing to compete against athletes who have sought to deprive them of what they deserve, and they make very little fuss when doing so. Justin Gatlin ran his PB after returning from his ban. Ofc, different training regime or other could be the reason for that. But, it should raise suspicions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

For the next series hopefully they get some new guests every week and Richie and Derval are given a year off. They are both good guests but they seem to be on every second week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Skid X wrote: »
    Imagine Padraig on the LLS?

"Let's watch some clips ..." and no insight at all

That's the difference right there....McDevitt just makes an interview flow and gets the guest to volunteer far more information than maybe sometimes they wanted to. Tubs shows clips and ticks off questions on his cue cards.

Really enjoyed the show again, it seems to be ironing out some of it's earlier difficulties. Again nothing personal against Derval O'Rourke but I wouldn't have had her on again, Maybe they should get Ken's take on the footballing issues of the day instead of the initial 3 person interview

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Corcaigh23

Anyone know the name of the song that plays after like the last adbreak on the show ?. It's not the song nightcall , it's the other one

Corcaigh23 wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of the song that plays after like the last adbreak on the show ?. It's not the song nightcall , it's the other one

Walk on the Wild Side? (With Steve Staunton saying "Second Captains, First Captains whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Corcaigh23

Walk on the Wild Side? (With Steve Staunton saying "Second Captains, First Captains whatever)

Yes!! Been wrecking my head for a few weeks that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

So who's on the couch tonight?

• Advertisement

The Tullow Tank Sean O'Brien, Shane Horgan, Ruby Walsh and Sonia O'Sullivan with Aisling Bea on the twitter machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Second Captains ‏@SecondCaptains 4h

...We'll be joined by @SeanOBrien1987, @soniaagrith, S Horgan, @Ruby_Walsh & the return of #BoringIrishSportingTweets with Roddy #RTE2 2220

Last in the series already. Booo!

That's a great clip of Sonia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Really long drawl couch chat tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

What have they against poor Denis Taylor!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

This is very poor compared to the last couple of weeks

Last week's episode had fewer than 100k viewers - ie fewer than the fourth most-watched episode of Home and Away.

Top 10 programmes (RTE Two) | Aertel Ratings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

This is very poor compared to the last couple of weeks

Agree here, a serious step backwards.

Ruby Walsh is an interesting fella, but horse racing really doesn't do it for me.

The Blackboard Jungle bit was probably the funniest bit this series. :-D

Only flicked it on half-way through. Was the audience so comatose throughout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Only flicked it on half-way through. Was the audience so comatose throughout?

Yes they were but they went downhill if anything. The wall segment was particularly noticeable I thought, McDevitt had to ask them a few times to gee themselves up.

radharc wrote: »
    Yes they were but they went downhill if anything. The wall segment was particularly noticeable I thought, McDevitt had to ask them a few times to gee themselves up.

I noticed that as well. I've been in the audience of one or two TV programmes, and there were always producers who would indicate to the crowd when to make noise. I wonder was the audience uncooperative or badly controlled.

Thought the Blackboard Jungle segment was brilliantly done.

"Murph" has a tendency to make a quip when McDevitt is talking, making it difficult to hear what either is saying.

This has been said soo many times before, but surely they are aware that Early has nothing to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭metroburgers

Can someone explain what Simon Hick does, or his purpose, is it some sort if arc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Can someone explain what Simon Hick does, or his purpose, is it some sort if arc?

Himself and Murph were the reseachers on OTB , he took over as producer for a year when Horgan was away. So I quess he's a reseacher/producer.

• Advertisement

Ruby Walsh is an interesting fella, but horse racing really doesn't do it for me.

The Blackboard Jungle bit was probably the funniest bit this series. :-D

Agree OD I am pretty much fanatical about most sports but Horse Racing is not a sport in my head. Always turn off when McClean comes on off the Ball to talk about it aswell.

I agree with the general consensus, it was a bit lifeless last night. The guests were quiet and the audience were asleep. It's a shame that coincided with the extended episode.

Still, I enjoyed Murph's Blackboard Jungle Chronicles. Hopefully the show has done enough to earn another series. Maybe they could do something to tie in with the World Cup.

Good news...

"SECOND Captains Live will soon be seen three times a week on RTE television.

Montrose bosses are so taken with the lads’ fusion of comedy, sport and entertainment, the fab five are set for a virtual takeover of RTE Two in the autumn.
    Join Sun+ - A whole new world of digital entertainment"

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/showbiz/5576870/Captains-5-are-Second-time-lucky-RTE-deal-is-extended.html

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Good news...

"SECOND Captains Live will soon be seen three times a week on RTE television.

Montrose bosses are so taken with the lads’ fusion of comedy, sport and entertainment, the fab five are set for a virtual takeover of RTE Two in the autumn.
    Join Sun+ - A whole new world of digital entertainment"

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/showbiz/5576870/Captains-5-are-Second-time-lucky-RTE-deal-is-extended.html

Wow! I'm VERY surprised. I think we can now say that leaving Newstalk has worked out.

Wow, indeed! Brilliant. But are they gonna be part of the World Cup coverage?

Edit: not a whole lot of detail there, and I refuse to sign up to The Sun app. Anyone know any more?

and I refuse to sign up to The Sun app.

Sorry about that, I'm no fan of The Sun either but each time I try to delete that line Boards.ie won't let me. I just keep getting this message.

"You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user. "

Apparently this is down to new anti-spam measures that have been put place which limits the things "new users" can do until they have 50+ posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Have to say, I am really surprised at that show of confidence from RTE in the lads. Fair play to them! :D

Please, let RTE get the rights to the Premiership highlights again... The lads doing a Premier Soccer Saturday type show on a Sunday night would be great...

One thing's for sure though, with 3 shows a week, they'll have to up the calibre of guests a bit. They reuse Derval O'Rourke, Sonia O'Sullivan and Oisin McConville a bit too often for my liking.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Have to say, I am really surprised at that show of confidence from RTE in the lads. Fair play to them! :D

Please, let RTE get the rights to the Premiership highlights again... The lads doing a Premier Soccer Saturday type show on a Sunday night would be great...

One thing's for sure though, with 3 shows a week, they'll have to up the calibre of guests a bit. They reuse Derval O'Rourke, Sonia O'Sullivan and Oisin McConville a bit too often for my liking.

Presumably the programme will be shortened: surely three hours per week is too much to fill? Getting back the rights to Premier League highlights would give one of the shows a distinct identity.

It would be interesting to see more detail on this, no mention of it anywhere else apart from The Sun.

But I'm not surprised RTE are looking to do more programmes, the ratings were solid this year and the show was more balanced. Maybe they could give Ken his own Football Show.

• Advertisement

But I'm not surprised RTE are looking to do more programmes, the ratings were solid this year and the show was more balanced. Maybe they could give Ken his own Football Show.

I don't think that would be a runner. I imagine the show's attraction is its broad appeal. Were they good, though - weren't even in the top-10 on RTE2, last week?

I don't think that would be a runner. I imagine the show's attraction is its broad appeal. Were they good, though - weren't even in the top-10 on RTE2, last week?

The ratings were in the Top 5 of RTE2 programmes in most weeks during the run.

The ratings were in the Top 5 of RTE2 programmes in most weeks during the run.

Really? So there was a decline over the series, then?

Really? So there was a decline over the series, then?

You have to look at the averages and the trends, not one week in isolation.

The start time changes every week, the quality of guest varies, the lead-in programme changes, there is a significant margin of error in the ratings system etc

I didn't note the ratings for each show(which don't appear to be available for previous weeks) but in general they were much better than the last series.

It would be interesting to see more detail on this, no mention of it anywhere else apart from The Sun.

It's really quite odd. Surely The Irish Times should have this news??

You have to look at the averages and the trends, not one week in isolation.

The start time changes every week, the quality of guest varies, the lead-in programme changes, there is a significant margin of error in the ratings system etc

I didn't note the ratings for each show(which don't appear to be available for previous weeks) but in general they were much better than the last series.

I ofc know that. But, the week before last it was tenth, and last week it was not even in TAM's top 10 (which doesn't double count). But, I didn't consider changing start times.

• Advertisement

It's really quite odd. Surely The Irish Times should have this news??

yeah, I would take it with a pinch of salt until there is news from other sources.

RTE don't announce their Autumn Schedule in April. Could be some PR work here, or someone in the Sun making up a story (wouldn't be the first time).

Were they good, though - weren't even in the top-10 on RTE2, last week?

I think just looking at the 10 top isn't really comparing like with like. It starts at 10.30pm, so it would need to be compared to other programmes that are on in that timeslot. All those other top 10 shows start earlier.
    yeah, I would take it with a pinch of salt until there is news from other sources.

RTE don't announce their Autumn Schedule in April. Could be some PR work here, or someone in the Sun making up a story (wouldn't be the first time).

I don't know, Ken Sweeney is fairly well established, I doubt he would run with this unless he had a source, but as you said we probably won't hear much more about it until the autumn schedule is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jillrhodes

its good but only four times that not good.

I see the Second Captains team are looking to recruit researchers
    If you want to work with a rapidly growing multi-platform media production company based in Dublin, have some journalism experience and are passionate about what you do, then get in touch with us.

We’re looking for creative, driven, freelance researchers to work across our online, radio and television platforms. Basic responsibilities will include generating stories, pitching ideas and writing briefs.

http://secondcaptains.tumblr.com/post/89072933074/second-captains-are-hiring

That might fit in with the story in the Irish Sun that they were to be given more Television Shows in the Autumn. They must have new work in the pipeline if they are expanding.

Was hoping we'd see them get in on the RTE World Cup action, but in fairness the podcast output has been great (if extremely oddy staggered mon-thurs with nothing on the other days?.

• Advertisement
Advertisement