Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Comic Con - impressions?

Options
  • 12-08-2013 9:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering just how many of you managed to get out there this weekend, and what you thought of it.

As this was my first ever con attendance, I had no idea what a real life experience (as opposed to youtube videos of cons) would be like. Let me say that I was impressed!

Amazingly talented artists, designers, performers and seemingly a thriving cosplay scene here too :) With the event selling out for both days (thankfully I bought a weekend ticket two weeks in advance), there is no doubt that it was a success and at the very end (just after the auction) the organisers said they will definitely do it again next year!

From props, costumes and sets, the work on display was nothing short of amazing. The cosplayers done a wonderful job, creativity goes a long, long way and always makes an impression with people. Overall, I would say that it was pretty awesome and shall attend next year with some luck.

I'll have to miss Nom Con but hopeful of a visit to Eirtakon (possibly in costume too). If either of those are like what this weekend was like, then consider my fancies tickled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 deadsoul

It was just a pity the people that set it all up only printed 4000 tickets for it and then had it in their heads that people were going to spend all day in there too , Could have been setup a lot better in my eyes lots of pissed of people that couldnt get in or get tickets at the door . Should have know when the biggest comic book stores refused to carry tickets for it that it was going to be a joke would love to know the PR company that counted 4000 people in the whole of Ireland. I feel bad for the family's with kids that had to walk away and the also lack of wheelchair parking spaces calling in to question of the law of car parking . I email the company and Derek from the Belgian company again should have know from the setup it was limited and fire safety no answer to wheelchair park but lots about the only 4000 ticket scam and why it wasnt not put on web site that 3000 online tickets and 1000 for the door sales bit of cloak and dagger me think .If you like to email Derek feel free to here is his address dublincomiccon@gmail.com .

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I was one of the hosts of the Cosplay Show and really enjoyed it! I had a blast at Dublin Comic Con and really believe it is the gap in the market. It was more of an Expo, a family day out seeing people in vibrant costumes/cosplay and lots of displays and themes. They really had something for everyone. I just thought it was wonderful seeing anime, comic, ordinary people and film fans all together.

I know there was a few flaws but the people who ran the convention just did it out of their passion for comics and to do something big and have achieved it well. They can just take note of what to improve for next year as they would know what to expect. They would be happy to record any feedback.

I recommend that you go to Nomcon and Eirtakon of you really enjoyed Dublin Comic Con, you won't be disappointed. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I have to say I loved it a magic day..... Kids loved it. got there at 10 to 10 in the am and left shortly before 5pm on the sunday. Only sorry I could not make both days....

I thought it would be good did not think it would be as good as it was...... Having never been to a Con before I did not know what to expect....

The people in costumes were exelent, such creativity was amazing and the sets from the groups were exelent.

Only negative was one of the guys running the Alien experience was a bit of an ass man handeling people out the door at the end, I know they were in a hurry to move it along but pusing a 10 year old kid out a door, the kids father said he was gona punch that guy till I calmed him down. But then in the after noon they had different guys running it and it was much better.....

All said I cant wait for it again next year, such magic day and all my pics im posting in FB are amazing people and asking where was that .... and sorry they missed it and such..... they might need a bigger venue next year....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I only read up of Ireland's FIRST Comic Con happening this past weekend last Monday...

/cries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

It Wasn't Irelands first comic con by any means. The First DCC one alright.
    Are you aware of D.I.C.E at the end of the month.

I could only make it out on Sunday due to the match on Saturday.
    It was a very good showing for a first time event. They where on the Ball for a lot of things.
    The Number of people allowed was the Venues restriction. Not the DCC organisers. It was a shame that so many where disappointed but the lads did the best with what they had.
    I was very impressed with the amount of families that where there.
    And the fact that a lot of the folks where not the usual crowd you see at Irish conventions meant it was great to see the new blood attending.

There was plenty of Stalls with lots of great items up for grabs.

And the movie props and costume where brilliant. The only Issue is that once you did a lap of the hall there wasn't a lot to do except outside.
    With the Wrestling,Cosplayers and Z.E.R.O'S To keep folks entertained.

I helped out at the Z.E.R.O event which made use of the green area outside, and copious use of Nerf weapons.
    And it was a great source of entertainment for the crowd.
    Check out the Vid so many kids Traumatised.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=606485119396487

The Organisers did themselves proud and I look forward to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Anyone going this weekend? Is it worth the trip? Initial impression seems pretty expensive with ave prices of €15 for a single autograph or 20/25 for an autograph and photo, Thats on top of admission and the rest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

cw67irl wrote: »
    Anyone going this weekend? Is it worth the trip? Initial impression seems pretty expensive with ave prices of €15 for a single autograph or 20/25 for an autograph and photo, Thats on top of admission and the rest!!

This is not Dublin Comic Con. That is in August the 9th and 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Ah ok thanks so the one on this weekend is a lower end version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Mcm running it.not been to any of their events. So can't comment on the quality of the event. DCC is a very family friendly event. Run by fans for fans. Enjoyed last year's event so much. Look forward to this year's event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

cw67irl wrote: »
    Ah ok thanks so the one on this weekend is a lower end version ?

Hardly. MCM events are almost like the pedigree of events like this, if only though because they have the cash to splash. Still just a glorified large trading hall really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hello all, the gf and myself are in Dublin tomorrow. As someone that hasn't much interest in comics, but in all other things nerdy, is it wirth 16 to pop in for a half day?

What are the shop booths like?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatzLogin

To be honest, I think it could of been laid out better etc and more events, also the section upstairs where you could play the consoles was a pity as the screens where pretty small and useless ..

The guests were awesome, but they need more guests and events! to be honest, it could of been done better If it wants to be even close to a convention worth going to, it wasin't bad but needs improvements!

I will still go next time to hopefully see improvements ..

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Froggy7

Hi all, My son & Daughter were very much looking forward to go to Dublin Comic Con 2014 this Saturday. Unfortunately, I missed the boat and it is now sold out. Would anyone be willing to sell me their tickets or swap for Sunday tickets instead? I'd be very grateful. In total, I'd be looking for 3 to 5 tickets. Any suggestions welcome. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Froggy7 wrote: »
    Hi all, My son & Daughter were very much looking forward to go to Dublin Comic Con 2014 this Saturday. Unfortunately, I missed the boat and it is now sold out. Would anyone be willing to sell me their tickets or swap for Sunday tickets instead? I'd be very grateful. In total, I'd be looking for 3 to 5 tickets. Any suggestions welcome. =)
    Try calling Dublin City Comics on Bolton St, I believe they still have some printed tickets for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 padimus2

Dublin City Comics are sold out of printed tickets as per their facebook page. There will be a limited number of tickets on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

padimus2 wrote: »
    Dublin City Comics are sold out of printed tickets as per their facebook page. There will be a limited number of tickets on the door.

Didn't see that last update, isn't it great when Facebook chooses what you see on your newsfeed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 padimus2

Yeah, online tickets are all gone as of this morning too.

Advertisement