Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Stephen Martin ‏
    Cruyff's accepted a deal in principle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

How many of you would 'undo' the Henderson deal if you could? £16-£20m isn't exactly a bargain, but I reckon he'll end up worth the money. I can see him flourishing in a deeper central role along with Lucas, preferably with Gerrard ahead of them and a proper wingers on either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Stephen Martin ‏ @stephen1martin Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Cruyff's accepted a deal in principle.#

:eek:

Also reports from Holland saying he will be officially leaving Ajax.
    Liverpool Nederland þ @LiverpoolFC_NL Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Some more Cruyff news. He will leave Ajax this Friday. Press announcement expected later today. #LFC

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Sappy404 wrote: »
    How many of you would 'undo' the Henderson deal if you could? £16-£20m isn't exactly a bargain, but I reckon he'll end up woth the money. I can see him flourishing in a deeper central role along with Lucas, preferably with Gerrard ahead of them and a proper wingers on either side.

I'd be happy enough to keep him now to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

How many of you would 'undo' the Henderson deal if you could? £16-£20m isn't exactly a bargain, but I reckon he'll end up worth the money. I can see him flourishing in a deeper central role along with Lucas, preferably with Gerrard ahead of them and a proper wingers on either side.
    Pretty much agree with you there. It's far too early to make a judgement on Henderson imo - we really were paying for potential. Adam and Downing were never going to improve but JH can, and I'd bet will (by how much I don't know, but definitely happy to keep him and find out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

opr wrote: »
    Stephen Martin ‏ @stephen1martin Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Cruyff's accepted a deal in principle.#

:eek:

Opr

this is amazing stuff, and not necessarily in a good way

Can anyone shed some light on what he would bring to the table apart from his name?

Whats his expertise? Apart from being a general p*ick wherever he goes?

I'm baffled. Its as if FSG took out there book of football history and just chose a legendary name.

Maybe i'm missing something, what has he specifically done in a role like this before? rather than act as an honourary president kind of thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Cruffs, He should stick to dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

argosy2006 wrote: »
    Cruffs, He should stick to dogs
    That would be Crufts if we are going to be priggish about spelling.

f5gif3y6dzsbszy.jpg

Shes no linda. but she'll do i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I thought we paid way too much for him at the time but I'm happy to keep him now. He has shown flashes of quality this season. I'd be confident that with the right coaching he could turn out to be a really good player for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

amiable wrote: »
    Are you going to Landan?

Yep will be there tomorrow, then back up to Liverpool Saturday night/Sunday morning so that I am there for the main memorial service and a private one later in the day.

Still in shock with the fact that the links with Cruyff seem to have actual legs. While I am not exactly sure of the role FSG envisage for him as he seems an odd choice to directly replace Damien, it's Johan ****ing Cruyff. Hard not to be excited :p

Opr

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep will be there tomorrow, then back up to Liverpool Saturday night/Sunday morning so that I am there for the main memorial service and a private one later in the day.

I Have a tv .
    Fair play to ya though

Still in shock with the fact that the links with Cruyff seem to have actual legs. While I am not exactly sure of the role FSG envisage for him as he seems an odd choice to directly replace Damien, it's Johan ****ing Cruyff. Hard not to be excited :p

Opr

I know nothing of the mans personality, But going on looks he looks annoying,
    Yes i know, Lame,

Meh, Carrie Baird saying he has joined Maccabi Tel Aviv. Need to close twitter and wait for some real news :)

carrie baird ‏ @carriebaird Reply Retweeted Favorite · Open
    Jordi Cruyff appointed Technical Director of Maccabi Tel Aviv. Jordi.

Opr

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Was Cryuff not part of 'total football' at Ajax? Surely this was pretty much based on player attributes and statistics to develop players to allow them to play other positions.

So basically the earliest moneyball practices in football, and we all know that is what are current owners are all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

argosy2006 wrote: »
    I know nothing of the mans personality, But going on looks he looks annoying,
    Yes i know, Lame,

He and Louis van Gaal are credited with being the creators/instigators of the playing style/acadamy set up/mentality at Barcelona that you see today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Meh, Carrie Baird saying he has joined Maccabi Tel Aviv. Need to close twitter and wait for some real news :)

carrie baird ‏ @carriebaird Reply Retweeted Favorite · Open
    Jordi Cruyff appointed Technical Director of Maccabi Tel Aviv. Jordi.

Opr

Is Jordi not the son who played for them lot and Barca?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Don't see how Cruyff would work as a direct replacement for Comolli. If he's going to be put in charge of ensuring that the whole club structure is working towards producing great first teams in the future, as I believe he did at Barcelona, then that's something else. But I just can't see him being that involved with transfers, or how he would work with Kenny. We'll see, but I'm not filled with confidence ...

Is Jordi not the son who played for them lot and Barca?

lol, you're quite right. Johan still on then. Back to twitter :P

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Various people give Cruyff a lot of credit for the modern Barca style of football and the total overhaul of the structure of the club from top to bottom. Txiki Begiristain would also quite obviously get a lot of credit.

From my reading around it, it seems like Cruyff was there are the very start, and one of the catalysts.

More recently, with Ajax, he pretty much wanted to do the same and change everything. Not completely sure if thats what we need right now?

Dr Galen wrote: »
    Various people give Cruyff a lot of credit for the modern Barca style of football and the total overhaul of the structure of the club from top to bottom. Txiki Begiristain would also quite obviously get a lot of credit.

From my reading around it, it seems like Cruyff was there are the very start, and one of the catalysts.

More recently, with Ajax, he pretty much wanted to do the same and change everything. Not completely sure if thats what we need right now?
    If FSG really are in this for the long haul, I can understand them wanting to start afresh, but generally speaking I agree with ya there; it's the first team and squad that needs most work right now (as well as something concrete on the stadium side of things).

Dr Galen wrote: »

The change in philosophy at Barcelona in regards the football they play is attributed in large part to Cruyff but the club was a complete mess when Cruyff himself managed to get Laporta voted in as president in 2003. The restructuring happened under the likes Txiki Begiristain. Cruyff doesn't seem to ever have been involved on the kind of business level we currently need for a DOF.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

@ Jayob10 Last I heard we hadn't managed to sign Marco Bueno on a pre-contract which probably means we have lost out on him as hes been attracting a great deal of attention :(

Graham Hunter was asked bout Txiki Begiristain on twitter.

Opr
    :mad:

London will burn.again

I don't think he was every employed at Barca in such a role, he was more an advisor to Laporta and the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Cruyff would be a big attraction for footballers imo but could he also attract Guardiola if Kenny was to step aside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If FSG really are in this for the long haul, I can understand them wanting to start afresh, but generally speaking I agree with ya there; it's the first team and squad that needs most work right now (as well as something concrete on the stadium side of things).
    I would have thought the plan from FSG would be over the course of 3-5 years of development.

If this were the case then, imo, they should be looking at the structure of the club first. If the Academy is doing well and producing players for our first team, our DOF, Manager, scouting network etc. is in place then the squad should come together over time and start producing.

Obviously that's an idealistic view but if I purchased Liverpool in the morning I'd be looking at long term over short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

delw wrote: »
    Cruyff would be a big attraction for footballers imo but could he also attract Guardiola if Kenny was to step aside
    Doubtful imo

delw wrote: »

I'd love to think so, but it's highly doubtful

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I would have thought the plan from FSG would be over the course of 3-5 years of development.

If this were the case then, imo, they should be looking at the structure of the club first. If the Academy is doing well and producing players for our first team, our DOF, Manager, scouting network etc. is in place then the squad should come together over time and start producing.

Obviously that's an idealistic view but if I purchased Liverpool in the morning I'd be looking at long term over short term.
    Thing is, they've already spunked a load of money into the first team, so at least initially it seems that they wanted to make us more competitive as a priority. It didn't work, obviously. So do they try again, or resign themselves, and the club, to being a top 8 side while the rebuilding work goes on elsewhere in the club?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement