Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dipped into my backlog - picked out Borderlands

Options
  • 12-12-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

So I finished up Assassin's Creed III last week and after putting in close to 40 hours into the story I wanted to play something completely different. I had a look at the games in my backlog and decided to play Borderlands.

I bought it a long time ago but never got around to playing it. I'm about an hour in and I'm pretty bored so far. In the opening of the game I've met a couple of quest givers and they just point me in a direction and say kill X number of these things and return. Then repeat with a different number of kills required. Does the game open up more than this or am I just going through a tutorial phase?

I'd hate to give up on it as I like to finish games once I start them. I'm beginning to regret not starting The Darkness II.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

You're just going through the tutorial phase. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

The game is also a lot better played cooperatively with a friend or three.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Stick at it. Wait til you get some wheels and come up against some seriously tough missions and start uncovering some seriously good weapons. It's a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

And once you complete that you can then jump straight into the awesome game that is Borderlands 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

And once you complete that you can then jump straight into the awesome game that is Borderlands 2 :D

No, do NG+ first. I found it much more rewarding than the first run (as I am with TVHM on Borderlands 2)

Such a great game. A friend of mine just finished Borderlands 1, and straight away dived into a second playthrough. It's THAT addictive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Well I'm gonna disagree with every1 here.Now maybe alot has to do that I only played it solo,but every mission and I mean every mission was go to destination X,kill random number of guys,return back to person who gave you the mission,reapet a bazillion times.
    Its not often I go against the mass's but I will this time.Its funny in a way cause no matter how much I dislike a game I nearly always have to finish once I start it plus I got the game of the year edition so that had to be done too :pac: .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'd give it another few hours, by then you will definitely know if you love it or hate it

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Well I'm gonna disagree with every1 here.Now maybe alot has to do that I only played it solo,but every mission and I mean every mission was go to destination X,kill random number of guys,return back to person who gave you the mission,reapet a bazillion times.

This is actully quite true for a lot of the missions but the chance to find that hold grail of a gun or mod kept me coming back. It is also a much better game when played in co-op.
    I must say I also found the second one more enjoyable then the first hence my recommendation of moving onto the second.

This is actully quite true for a lot of the missions but the chance to find that hold grail of a gun or mod kept me coming back. It is also a much better game when played in co-op.
    I must say I also found the second one more enjoyable then the first hence my recommendation of moving onto the second.

It probably didn't help either that in a game about guns I picked the berserker class and just went into berserk mode for every fight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's a loot slut game. If you are not hoarder slut which likes Diablo etc, then I doubt borderlands will give you any joy. I have to say borderlands 2 would be a huge step and better game. Handsome jack alone is just a reason to play that game.

I don't know if it would be right, but we might do this thread as our backlog thread? Would be handy.

I am looking at my backlog myself as I have finished driver San Francisco and spec ops the line last weekend. I am still full time player of eve online/dark souls/ bf3, but I am looking to add one more SP game in to that rotation. It's between borderlands 2, Arkham city and xcom. All installed and ready to go... Though which one to fire up for the next few weeks...

• Advertisement

It's between borderlands 2, Arkham city and xcom. All installed and ready to go... Though which one to fire up for the next few weeks...

I've heard X-com is very good,something diffferent.borderlands..well I didn't like the first.Arkham city,I remember getting the first the one after ppl saying it was the best game of that year and being ultimately underwhelmed,when arkham city came out I was hearing the same again but I was alot more catious....and thought it was fantastic :eek:

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I've heard X-com is very good,something diffferent.borderlands..well I didn't like the first.Arkham city,I remember getting the first the one after ppl saying it was the best game of that year and being ultimately underwhelmed,when arkham city came out I was hearing the same again but I was alot more catious....and thought it was fantastic :eek:

aye, i know the saga of XCOM. i love those type of games. there should be more base management turn based stuff like that. Its just i am afraid that if i dip my toe in it, i will sink in to it for months :p.
    borderlands 2 is a lot of fun. i need to finish it, so it will take the least time i guess. As for batman, well i loved the first one, this one should be even better, but it is again a very long game. :

god dammit, first world problems! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think right now is a good time to be playing games from your backlog. I know I will probably get a couple of titles from people at Christmas so there is no point in me buying myself a game this close.

I played another few minutes of Borderlands tonight. But that is one of the problems. I'm only getting a few minutes here and there. I'd like to sit down for an hour or so with it. I tried to do a mission but kept getting killed very quickly. Happened about 6 or 7 times. I found an easier mission so hopefully it will help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm just playing through this for the first time too. I'm enjoying it a lot - the shooting / PRG hybrid is much more satisfying than I assumed it would be. There are a few minor irritants, definitely. Like all loot based games, the inventory management can be infuriating, and I breathe a sigh of relief everytime I fix a broken Claptrap. And after seven or eight hours of gameplay, there's been a very limited variety of environments, which gets dull.

Still, I'm liking it much more than I thought I would, and looking forward to getting onto part two and seeing some of those rough edges smoothed out!

I'm just playing through this for the first time too. I'm enjoying it a lot - the shooting / PRG hybrid is much more satisfying than I assumed it would be. There are a few minor irritants, definitely. Like all loot based games, the inventory management can be infuriating, and I breathe a sigh of relief everytime I fix a broken Claptrap. And after seven or eight hours of gameplay, there's been a very limited variety of environments, which gets dull.

Still, I'm liking it much more than I thought I would, and looking forward to getting onto part two and seeing some of those rough edges smoothed out!

Aye, borderlands 2 is just waaay better. More variety in zones and weapons for sure. The humor is just stupidly funny too. I played for a bit today and I met a Snow White borderlands style. Was reall funny.
    I would even reason end people to play borderlands 2 first and then get back to borderlands 1 if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I recently played through it for the second time, although the first time I never actually got to play the last few missions.

Currently playing my way through the DLC's, however I've found myself making excuses for not playing them as I want to drag them out as long as I can. Or at least until the Christmas Sale when I can hopefully pick up Borderlands 2 half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Funnily enough, I'm also playing Borderlands for the first time at the moment as well, entirely solo / single player. 11 hours in and I'm quite enjoying it, though I'm a bit overpowered as I like to complete most side missions available before tackling whatever main mission is available. Have the DLCs as well, but am not going to kill myself doing all those missions, as I've heard a good few are very tedious and every minute I spend on Borderlands is a minute taken from other games in my backlog - in particular the Witcher 2, Metro 2033, Assassin's Creed 2 / Brotherhood, TW: Shogun 2 and Crysis Warhead are all screaming out to be played!

I like Borderlands unique visual style and can ignore the grinding / loot whoring aspects, I don't go crazy trying to get the best gun or whatever, I find something I like and am happy to stick with it for a few hours before swapping to the next best option.

Well I'm giving up on this game. I think I've put about 4 hours into it now and I've yet to have any fun playing it. I thought once I unlocked the vehicles but that didn't prove to be the case. It is funny all the abuse the Mako from Mass Effect 1 gets for its handling when the car I've been driving in this game is even worse.

I just played for a good bit there and got to a new area and found it a real slog. I kept getting killed by the same group of guys and had to fight through all the same enemies again that I'd already killed only to die in the same spot again. This wouldn't be too bad if I was having more fun playing it. It just feels a little slow at this point.

Think I will move on and play The Darkness II.

Well I'm giving up on this game. I think I've put about 4 hours into it now and I've yet to have any fun playing it. I thought once I unlocked the vehicles but that didn't prove to be the case. It is funny all the abuse the Mako from Mass Effect 1 gets for its handling when the car I've been driving in this game is even worse.

I just played for a good bit there and got to a new area and found it a real slog. I kept getting killed by the same group of guys and had to fight through all the same enemies again that I'd already killed only to die in the same spot again. This wouldn't be too bad if I was having more fun playing it. It just feels a little slow at this point.

Think I will move on and play The Darkness II.

Shame really.

I played today and did a few missions I skipped on. I went and did the creeper thing :D too today! Minecraft ftw!

Shame really.

It is. I was hoping to like this game as I keep hearing how good Borderlands 2 is. I would have gone on to play that. One of the problems is I don't have much spare time at the moment with a young family so I'd rather play something that I can get something out of straight away.

• Advertisement

It is. I was hoping to like this game as I keep hearing how good Borderlands 2 is. I would have gone on to play that. One of the problems is I don't have much spare time at the moment with a young family so I'd rather play something that I can get something out of straight away.

Well I don't know about you, but I play my games in short doses. 1-2h bursts and then I pick up something else, then something else again and then come back to first game. I just don't get bored when I stick my teeth in to one title.
    Maybe just mix it up a bit?

Well I don't know about you, but I play my games in short doses. 1-2h bursts and then I pick up something else, then something else again and then come back to first game. I just don't get bored when I stick my teeth in to one title.
    Maybe just mix it up a bit?

I tend to stick with the same game (and I usually have PES constantly on the side) until it is finished. This year though I'd be lucky to get more than 1 hour at a time. The fact that I managed to sink so many hours in ACIII really surprises me. Too many late nights :)

It is. I was hoping to like this game as I keep hearing how good Borderlands 2 is. I would have gone on to play that.

I wouldn't give up on Borderlands 2 just yet. While there is a continuation from the first to the second game, it shouldn't stop you from at least trying BL2. I actually never completed the first game so just read up about it (and watched a few vids) but still quite enjoyed my time in the second game. You should at least try a few co-op games which is what I really liked about the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

play it until you find a maliwan hellfire and just laugh non stop as everything melts around you :pac:!!!

Advertisement