Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Qualification thread

• 10-10-2008 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Saturday, 11 October 2008
    FIFA World Cup European Qualifying

Belgium v Armenia, Gp 5, 19:45
    Bulgaria v Italy, Gp 8, 19:15
    Denmark v Malta, Gp 1, 19:00
    England v Kazakhstan, Gp 6, 17:15
    Estonia v Spain, Gp 5, 19:45
    Faroe Islands v Austria, Gp 7, 16:00
    Finland v Azerbaijan, Gp 4, 15:00
    Georgia v Cyprus, Gp 8, 17:30
    Germany v Russia, Gp 4, 19:45
    Greece v Moldova, Gp 2, 19:30
    Holland v Iceland, Gp 9, 19:45
    Hungary v Albania, Gp 1, 18:45
    Luxembourg v Israel, Gp 2, 19:15
    Poland v Czech Republic, Gp 3, 19:30
    Romania v France, Gp 7, 19:40
    San Marino v Slovakia, Gp 3, 19:30
    Scotland v Norway, Gp 9, 15:00
    Serbia v Lithuania, Gp 7, 19:15
    Slovenia v Northern Ireland, Gp 3, 19:45
    Sweden v Portugal, Gp 1, 19:00
    Switzerland v Latvia, Gp 2, 16:45
    Turkey v Bosnia-Herzegovina, Gp 5, 19:00
    Ukraine v Croatia, Gp 6, 18:00
    Wales v Liechtenstein, Gp 4, 17:30

Ireland ain't playing but still a huge day for us as Bulgaria are playing Italy, a match live on Setanta Ireland.

I don't know what I want from this game, a win for Italy and they are even at this stage a shoe in for top spot but at the same time it would really knock Bulgaria back in their persuit for the runner up spot.

I'm going to say Italy will win 1-0.

Norn Iron play in a match they have to win or their world cup hopes are over.

And I put Serbia in bold for our one and only Serbian poster. Lithuania with Bohemians Kalonas(was he called up?) will try and keep their brilliant start to these qualifiers going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Nice thread estie.Well i dont know what to expect from our game.in last game against France we looked so better and i was really surprised,we showed finally our real potential,maybe this new coach finally found out what is the problem in heads of our players.

Still,its early to say definitly its going to be better so i am gonna stay not so big optimist when it comes about serbian team.

I expect very hard game here,probably 1 or 2 goals maximum,Lithuania came to get a draw,want to stay on the course so i supose we are gonna be the team more offensive in this game.

Hope we will brake them and get bloody 1-0:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

lads if we cant beat cyprus comfortably at home , WE can forget about it imo.
    I can see a draw with Bulgaria and Italy and as the op said, i dont know what would be a good result for us.
    arnt Georgia and cyprus playing aswell? hopefully cyprus will be tired after that, and we can steam roll ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Saturday, 11 October 2008
    FIFA World Cup European Qualifying

Bulgaria v Italy, Gp 8, 19:15

Georgia v Cyprus, Gp 8, 17:30

there the only games im worried about!

lads if we cant beat cyprus comfortably at home , WE can forget about it imo.

Thats about it tbh. iven our recent record against Cyprus it's now a PROPER grudge match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I want Italy to win. Yes it would leave Italy virtually dead certs for top spot but realistically this was always going to be the case. The way I've worked it out, if Italy beat Bulgaria and we manage to win both our home games against Cyprus and Georgia, then by the time Ireland meet Bulgaria in Dublin in March 2009 we should have a 6 point gap (although they will have a game in hand).

However should we get 3 points in that massive game we'd surely have second place all sewn up.

I reckon it will be a tough game for Italy at the weekend but I'm hoping they can get the 3 points. It would then leave Bulgaria under big pressure to get an away win in Georgia just a few days later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'll say it now.

Ireland, categorically, will not qualify for WC2010.

The manager may have the class, but the players, simply, do not.

Des wrote: »
    I'll say it now.

If Scotland can count themselves unlucky not to qualify from a group containing Italy and France then we can be optimistic of getting out of this group. Scotland ffs.

Given, Dunne, Finnan, Ireland :mad::eek::p, Duff when fit, Robbie Keane....there are enough decent players to mount a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'll say it now.

I believe you have a bet on Ireland to qualify for world cup 2010, probably made around the time Billy Davies was being lined up as our manager and you keep saying this crap about 'ireland are ****, won't qualify, blah'' because you don't want to curse your bet.

I'd love to know how under no circumstance can we qualify as if its some sort of life fact.

Do you think we will get 2nd in the group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'll say it now.

Same goes for Bulgaria and the rest of the group bar Italy. You don't really take note of that though because you want to be the Pat Dolan of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

in fairness if we finish 2nd there are some very good sides who could finish 2nd in their group, so imo a play-off will be extremely tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Germany v Russia, Gp 4, 19:45

Quite a big match there too.
    Will be interesting to see if the Russians can carry their form from Euro 2008 against a team that need to recover from the very same tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'll say it now.

There's a surprise....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,506 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I hope Bulgaria and Italy draw. I want to finish first. No more play offs (unless we have to of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Think Italy Bulgaria is on the free Setanta channel. A goaless draw is our best result IMO.

anyone know the odds on a northern ireland away win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Does anyone actually want Ireland to qualify? It will be a much better tournament if better footballing sides qualify.

what does that even mean 'better footballing sides'?

so if we got a manager like mick mccarthy who played very attacking football in 2002 then we should all want them to qualify but because we have a defensive coach we shouldn't.

I think Cyprus then should qualify instead of italy. slovakia instead of france. both score more goals and play more open.

I think Cyprus then should qualify instead of italy. slovakia instead of france. both score more goals and play more open.

Agreed especially after the brutal displays from the Euros. But Italy have class players so Id like to see them qualify aswell. And France potentialy have a class team coming through so Id like to see how they do, not that Domenech is going to call them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

FI-Austria a repeat of FI's first competitve game in 1990.

And we all remember how that finished!! Some classic footage on Youtube of that game with the keeper bobbly hat in it and all! :D

Norway look the better team against Scotland. Wouldn't be suprised to see a corner go in though for the scots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

That was the worst miss ive ever seen by some Scottish player ive never heard of :eek:

OMG.....stephen ****ing hawking would have scored that.

your man plays for wolves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

from bbc

1624: Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. That is a SHOCKING miss. Gary Naysmith plays the ball in from the left and debutant Chris Iwelumo misses from TWO YARDS OUT!

1625: Just to add. Iwelumo and his team-mates stood still for several seconds, struggling to believe how the ball did not go into the back of the net. The Scotland crowd briefly cheered what they thought would be a certain goal, then fell silent, then started booing. It's one of the worst misses I have ever seen.
    He plays for Wolves (he's been slamming them in as well) but hasn't played since he picked up a red a few weeks back.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Super stuff, co-commentator saying its been disallowed for offside - took him about 20 seconds to realise Iwelumo had missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Haha someone should show Iwelumo that 2nd clip to cheer him up after the game. He's only making his debut but that could be the end of his international career, his confidence will be in tatters after that miss.

Ohhh so close.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

bohsman wrote: »
    Does anyone actually want Ireland to qualify? It will be a much better tournament if better footballing sides qualify.

Does anyone actually want Bohs to be in the Champions League next season? It will be a much better tournament if better footballing sides qualify.
    Dearg81 wrote:
    That was the worst miss ive ever seen by some Scottish player ive never heard of :eek:

It was a truly staggering miss. I had my hands on my head trying to come to terms with what I'd just witnessed. One of the worst misses of all time and that's no exaggeration.

• Advertisement

Does anyone actually want Bohs to be in the Champions League next season? It will be a much better tournament if better footballing sides qualify.

The vast majority dont care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ireland for the World Cup
    Bohs the the Champions League
    and that bird from last week is definitely gonna get it tonight

Georgia 1 Cyprus 1 few minutes left in this one.

Bulgaria and Italy coming on now Setanta Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Haha someone should show Iwelumo that 2nd clip to cheer him up after the game. He's only making his debut but that could be the end of his international career, his confidence will be in tatters after that miss.

He is 30 odd, not much of it left anyway I would think.

Jesus Mike that second video is a shocker :p Yid swear your man had a bet on he didnt want to **** up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

FT Georgia 1-1 Cyprus.

Wales scrape past Liectenstien 2-0.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Here's the miss! Quick while it's hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

At least he can point out in his defence of his rubbish miss that he was also clearly offside.

Is he the first black scottish footballer since Jim McClaren?

nigel quashie?

30' Serbia 1 - 0 Lithuania

6' [1 - 0] B. Ivanovic

On the stadium is huge serbian flag with Dublin, written over it hahahaha

really? amazing..:D

• Advertisement

romania are beating france 2-0 a month after losing at home 3-0 to lithuania...outragous.

Come on Lithuania!!!

2-0 to serbia.

still 0-0 between italy and bulgaria. hope it stays that way. we win against cyprus and they win against montenegro, that would put them on 10 with us on 7 with a game in hand.

bohsman wrote: »
    Come on Lithuania!!!

Are you trying to feel my anger expressed on you?
    2-0 to serbia.

81' Serbia 2 - 0 Lithuania

And we just missed penalty:rolleyes:

86' Serbia 3 - 0 Lithuania

Sorry but Kalonas the Lithuanian striker is a Bohemians player.

Bulgaria 0 Italy 0

Great result for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Bulgaria 0 Italy 0

Great result for us.

greenapple.gifgreenapple.gifgreenapple.gifgreenapple.gifgreenapple.gif

Ideal result as a win on Wednesday will put us top.

well not if they win montenegro but we would have a game in hand so heres hoping cyprus journey from georgia takes its toll and we can score some goals and then with georgia at home next we would be top. i'll take a win first though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement